Diet Question! :)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Starista, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 28, 2007

Hi!!

So right after Christmas my fiance and I started Atkins.

Since then, I've lost 15 lbs. (yay!)

However, I feel very run down, exhausted and sick to death of eggs.

Am thinking of switching to the tried-and-true Weight Watchers.

Has anyone had any real success with either diets?

I keep reading that WW is far more healthy in the long run that Atkins.

Thanks in advance! :love:

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2007

Starista,

I would never do Atkins. It just doesn't make sense to me. I think dieting is really a lifestyle change anyway. WW allows you to eat what you want,but in moderation. I think that's really the key. I would get bored of eating the same things anyway.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 28, 2007

I'm with Miss Frizzle. There is a really good discussion board for dieting at www.3fatchicks.com and it even has a teacher thread. I've lost 30lbs but now I'm on hold for the next 20. I'm maintaining though! I didn't follow any strict diet per say, just a lot of common sense and discipline. In the long run when the stress came rolling in, I didn't keep all the habits, BUT some of them became so much a part of me that I kept using them even without trying after I "officially" came off my diet. That's what they mean by lifestyle changes. Some won't stick, but with enough work and examining your lifestyle and what works for you, some will. As a result, I am maintaining pretty easily.

5. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 28, 2007

I have a friend who is on Weight Watchers, and she LOVES it.

From what I see, she is still eating "normal" foods, just different amounts and combinations. She is also allowed to have free days where she can eat anything (in moderation) and she looks great!!

6. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007

I agree with Miss Frizzle, dieting is a lifestyle change. I have done a Atkins type program before and had success but did not have energy or my usual spunk. On the new program I am on I have tons more energy and I just feel so good I have been doing this program for the last few months and have lost about 25 pounds. This program teaches you about changing the way that you look at food and why you overeat (stress, boredom,any other type of emotional eating) and how to change your habits of dealing with stress. Their is a group of teachers at my school that are doing this program and our motto is "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels". Also on this program I eat normal foods, I just watch my portions and the type of food I eat.

7. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jan 28, 2007

I've done Weight Watchers before, and it did work well. Right now I just use a forum to post my daily food journal, chat with others, ect (like here). It www.featherish.com. I love it! I have lost all of post-pregnancy weight (which was 30 pounds) plus an additional 23 pounds. I basically watch what I eat (sometimes counting calories and keeping them around 1600-1800/day) and I workout doing cardio and weights whenever I can. It is slow, but it is more likely to stay off too. I think the journaling really makes a big difference too.

BTW, I am 30, weigh 160 now, and am 5'6".

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 28, 2007

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 28, 2007

I did Atkins several years ago for several months...lost quite a bit....then my hair started falling out and I had unbearable leg cramps at night. I much prefer WW, it is entirely healthy!!

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 28, 2007

I did Atkins for a while and lost weight, but no mattter how much the book said it was a healthy way to eat, I just couldn't convince myself. I missed eating fruit, yogurt, milk, etc. I was SICK to death of eggs and cheese. I love wight watchers. I've lost almost 50 pounds and it's pretty easy to stick to. You want to eat a burger-eat it! Just eat light the next few days. Keeping track of points is easy too. The downside is that if you want to go to the meetings to get wighed in-it can get expensive.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2007

My husband had to see a nutritionist after he was diagnosed with diabetes. What she described as a healthy diet was a LOT like WW. It consisted of all food groups in moderation, and a system much as I understand the their point system to be.

You say you're run down and exhausted. Then clearly this is not the right diet for you.

12. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Feb 1, 2007

I did WW after college during my first year of teaching...one of the BEST decisions of my LIFE! From middle school on I hated my body. I was finally OK with it after I lost 25 pounds on WW- went from around 160 to around 135 and I'm 5'8". There was a ladies fitness center next door to the WW center. I ran and walked on the treadmill and did light weight lifting a few times a week. That was 5 years ago and I have kept my weight between 135 and 140 (before I got pregnant). I was afraid that I would gain mega pounds being pregnant, but I am at 5 months and 146 pounds(I'm not counting points these days but I do eat healthy food). It was definitely worth the money, sacrifice, time and effort for me! Right after that I started getting dates and I started dating my fiancé. Sometimes I wonderf if I would still be waiting for Mr. Right if it weren't for WW! Also, my mom has been on it for about 10 years. She is petite but any weight gain is very noticeable so it has been a dream come true for her too. She was my inspiration. The thing that helped me the most was finding foods that fill me up and taste pretty normal. I buy their cookbooks. Also, going to the meetings regularly, and still attending them once you're a lifetime member is so helpful. It definitely was an uphill battle, but 100% worth it! I hope you decide to go for it!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 1, 2007

I have never done either. My mom has tried both with little or no long-term success. Last summer I found a book called The French Don't Diet Plan and it has worked quite well. What it boils down to is portion control, eat real food rather than stuff with tons of preservatives or artificial stuff, stay away from high fructose corn syrup, and no hydorgenated oils of any sort. The food is good, I lost about 20 pounds over the summer, and I never felt tired or run down.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 5, 2007

I did Jenny Craig this past month, I lost 8 lbs...and probably would have lost a little over 10 if I had worked out more. Yes you have to buy their food, but after a month of doing it...it shows you how much food you should really be eating and shows you how much you were over-eating before. I have been off it for a week now and I notice I get fuller quicker...and since you have a set schedule of meals...it has made me start eating breakfast now...and little healthy snacks throughout the day so I won't go get chips from the vending machine at work when I'm so hungry...it really helped!

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 5, 2007

I met with a nutritionist because I had other medical issues to deal with. It wasn't so much the food itself, but the portion sizes and exercise.

She recommended weight watchers and South Beach cookbooks, and I've used lots of their recipes.

I lost 42 pounds in the first year. Now I've hit a plateau. I need to up the exercise now.

Adkins can be dangerous if you've got certain medical conditions, especially kidney problems.

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 5, 2007

I'm so sorry to say this but I didn't read all the responses.

I must say that the atkins diet is a very poorly balanced diet (except for your arteries, I think they become equally clogged).

I am not an expert on diets, but I know that you would continue to loose weight if you ate more of a balance of fruit and vegetables, a little carbs is neccessary in every diet.

Congratulations on your weight loss, I've seen my own family members do it on the atkins diet as well, but they they always gain it back because they are on a diet and not a lifestyle change. I wish you luck, hope you will continue to do well.

17. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 5, 2007

I love Atkins. If you need help with recipes. Here's a wonderful site. ALso, read the Atkins book. Atkins is so much more than eggs....http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

18. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 5, 2007

The real Atkins diet is much more than eggs and cheese. You can eat fruit on Atkins. It's just in the later phases. Phase one is only two weeks.

19. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 5, 2007

I tried the South Beach diet, which is similar to Atkins. It was a great quick fix. I lost 10 pounds in the first week, and continued to steadily lose between 3-5 pounds a week for the next month. However, I quickly gained it all back because it was just too much to keep up with the restrictions on food and the time needed to prepare them.

I agree that portion control, eating healthier, and exercise are the right ways to go. Dieting is just a temporary fix. A healthy lifestyle is what is going to be beneficial in the long run.

20. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 6, 2007

Ok I finally skimmed over what others have said, and I'm glad for the most part people don't like the Atkins diet.

21. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Feb 9, 2007

Slim-fast

I don't know much about Atkins, except what I saw on the media a year or two ago.
    I've been using the Slim-Fast diet for the last 1 month and 1 week, so far I've lost 6 pounds. Not spectacular, but not bad for slightly over a month's worth of dieting :)
    I eat 3 snacks a day of fruits/vegetables. If I have a chocolate craving, I'll grab a Slim-Fast snack bar. Then, I pretty much eat whatever I want for dinner in moderation. I won't gorge myself, but I will be satisfied.
    Oh, and a component to any diet, no matter which one, is drinking lots of water. Hehehe, and exercise.

22. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

I did the Atkins and noticed that I was very moody and almost "unpredictable." I have been on Weight Watchers as well and found that to be more successful, at least for me. The key to any lifestyle change, such as one of these diets, you have to really stick to it and exercise. Without both, you may not be as successful.

23. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 10, 2007

You are right, y ou have to find something that YOU can stick too and incorporate exercise. The exercise portion is the hard part for me. Also, like another poster said, water is essential as well.:)

24. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Feb 10, 2007

I only count calories. Doing so requires watching portions. I've lost 34 pounds so far. It has been almost too easy.