Diet Coke

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

I'm trying really hard to eat healthier, and in turn make DH and our little boy do so. Meeting with some resistance, but it'll take time...I guess. Anyway, any Diet Coke drinker out there stopped drinking it and found that it helped with sugar cravings? I really don't crave greasy junk food type stuff, I cave into sugar. All the d@mn time. That's a huge weakness for me. I've read that sometimes the aspartame in Diet Coke can worsen sugar cravings.

I'm thinking about going off of it anyway because there is some pretty funky stuff in there. I mean, that's nothing new to me. I've known that for a long time, just chosen to turn a blind eye. Something about hitting 35 :eek:, has really made me question my/our lifestyle and feel the need for changes.

Beth

ETA: If I'm going to do this I need to start tomorrow (drinking a Diet Coke as I type) because I don't want to me newly caffeine deprived during those awesome PD days.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 2, 2013

The SodaStream soda maker has a diet cola that uses sucralose. I haven't tried it, but am considering getting one.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2013

I didn't notice a difference in sugar cravings. But, I don't often crave sugar.

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I think any kind of cokes or sodas are generally unhealthy...no matter if it is diet, zero, caffeine free, etc.

I have pretty much stopped drinking sodas all together and get coffee to get my caffeine. If I do get a soda, I just get the regular kind because I didn't like what I read about aspartame.

I tuly believe quitting the sodas along with exercise has helped me lose all of my weight(37 lbs).
    What I have learned and taken to heart that anything can be bad for you if excessive...moderation is best.

6. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I have also found that when I haven't had a soda in a long time...they become too sweet for me when I do have one which is for the most part, rare.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Coke in general makes me uncomfortable so I absolutely never drink any of it. They contain sooo much sugar or alternative sweeteners in additinal to things like caramel coloring. (Yet I don't seem to mind at all some other horrible treats I enjoy regularly!) I wish you luck in tackling this however you think would be best. I think it's a worthy goal. :)

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

I gave up Diet Coke years ago (drank at least 3 cans per day at work and then probably another liter at home)-because I was giving up caffeine. I did not notice a difference in sugar cravings, I also do not eat a lot of sugar, but do get cravings for it from time to time.

I do feel much healthier because I replaced it by drinking at least 3 thirty-two oz bottles of water every day at work. Once I gave it up, I never looked back.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Have you considered having a piece of dark chocolate. I usually have one piece a day. I am not a daily soda drinker. I will have a 7up or rootbeer if we have pizza.

Have you considered a juicer? we get like 3-4 fruits in a glass.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

I stopped drinking Diet Coke a few months ago. For me, it didn't do anything to curb my other cravings for sweets/junk.

11. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

I have tried that idea. However, one turned into two, two turned into three, etc. I suck at willpower when it comes to sugar, probably why I'm in this situation.

I usually go through Sonic in the morning and get a 44 oz, and then I drink water throughout the day. I'm thinking about replacing the morning drink with a Lipton tea mix packet thingy. I've tried the fruity ones that are sweetened with honey granules and like them.

Beth

12. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 2, 2013

I drink a ridiculous amount of Diet Coke each day. Easily 2 liters a day. Itry to drink an equal amount of water, but i have a serious DC addiction. :) I rarely crave sugar, though.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I drink a lot of diet coke, but not for the sugary taste. I don´t crave sugar, I just like the fiz....I also drink carbonated water for the same reason.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Wow, that is a lot!

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

I drink regular Coke and regular Sprite. I have an insatiable sweet tooth. I've been a lot better about it lately; I've been drinking water and Crystal Light lemonade throughout the day and only having a little soda with my dinner.

The cookie addition is another matter.

16. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

Personally, quitting diet soda did curb some of my sweet tooth. Also, when I had a rare soda (like with pizza), it seemed much sweeter than I remembered. I mainly just like the fizz of soda, so when I wanted that, I would have sparkling water or mix some club soda with my water.

I did great with not drinking soda during the school year, but I slipped this summer and started having them more often. I'm going to try to quit again when school starts.

17. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I wouldn't quit could turkey.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2013

My doctor said that he has never known anyone who lost weight switching from regular to diet soda, but knows plenty of people who lost weight giving it up completely.

I drank mostly soda, maybe a liter a day, when I was younger. I drank both regular and diet. I was normal weight. I have them up completely when I was 31. I couldn't have dark soda while on dialysis, and they recommended I give it all up. I didn't have a single one for over six months. No good judge on the weight thing since I gained 100 pounds because of the medical treatments. I had cravings due to steroids.

Now I drink maybe one per day. I usually open two cans, but I never drink a whole can.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 2, 2013

I used to drink about 4 diet pepsi a day. Now I drink flavored water, sometimes fizzed up by the soda stream. I find that I my body craves the water.

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2013

Same here Two cans before lunch, one at lunch and two after lunch (60 oz)

I would put it in my coffee cup so the kids thought I was drinking coffee (we were allowed to have coffee in the classroom, since it is a adult drink and soda is a "kids" drink)

22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2013

I drank a lot more during the school year. Sometimes it was for the caffeine because I don't drink coffee. However I think I drank it so much that the caffeine quit having any effect. I also find that when I drink water I am running to the bathroom all of the time and for some reason pop doesn't have the same effect, so at school I would drink pop rather than water. The first time I taught sped I had a lot more opportunities for bathroom breaks...I'm hoping that's the case this year so I can go back to my water! I don't find any difference in sugar cravings when I'm not drinking it, but I also don't have a big sweet tooth to begin with. If you feel like you're always craving sweets it's at least worth a try to give it up and see if it makes a difference.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

I will drink it occasionally (not diet coke though which makes me gag.I prefer diet Dr. Pepper or Coke Zero). If I am working lte at school and my water bottle is empty i might grab one from the vending machine but I won't buy 2 liters at the store or a 12 pack or anything. I don't find it does anything to make me want sugar. Some people might be sensitive to the artificial sweetner since I have heard this happens to some people. We used to drink a lot of diet soda at home but now it's either iced tea or flavored water or wine (hey, it's good for you LOL). I do drink coffee in the morning but usually not throughout the day.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 4, 2013

As Blue can attest, I drink an insane amount of Diet Coke. Quitting my DC habit is almost as hard as quitting smoking.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

When I gave up pop, I switched to water. When I first gave it completely up, I couldn't stand the taste of it, same with fast food. Now that I'm over my cravings I can enjoy the taste of a pop every once in a while.

26. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

I drink diet soda and regular soda as those are probably the only things helping me maintain my low weight.

I also can't have caffeine or High Fructose Corn Syrup, so my choices are rather limited.

Diet Soda, I drink some store brand orange soda, it's pretty good.

For regular soda, if you are in the mood for something tasty like Sprite without caffeine, HFCS, or artificial sweeteners, Sierra Mist Natural is great. It uses sugar as its sweetener

27. redheadkate

redheadkate Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I have a mini fridge full of it in my classroom, needless to say I am ADDICTED! hahaha, it's a habit I'm not ready to let go of just yet. :)

I do get a bloated quite often after drinking though. :-(

28. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 9, 2013

we splurge on Zevia cans when we want pop at home...bec it is not cheap we dont rush thr a six pack for example...
    check it out lots of flavors.....Stevia.....no unhealthy sugar