Didn't get the job but.....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mommy3boys, Apr 22, 2012.

1. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Apr 22, 2012

I just learned a few days ago I did not get the job at a charter school in which I am doing a long-term sub at but was only a little bummed. It went to to other long-term subs that had been working for them for 2 years.

Anyway, the Principal wanted to talk to me and give me feedback (I was very surprised by this) and he proceeded to let me know I was to be the school's preferred long-term sub and to focus on certain interview questions. He told me to speak to another teacher whom answered the questions perfectly. He also informed me that I am not an upper grade teacher (6th-8th) I am a kinder or 1st grade teacher. My strengths, personality, and patience lies there. He told me that many things can happen during the summer and that I needed to be ready for when my position became available.

I almost cried when he said that I would be a great asset to the school and needed to be patient and stick with them. He also said he admires my dedication, work ethic, and loves how everyone enjoys working with me and all the good things he has seen from me.

I just really needed to hear that from someone and am so pleased to hear it from him. To be given some validation on my skills after doubting them in the past was very encouraging.

Just wanted to share:)

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 23, 2012

Wow! I'd like to work for someone like that! I hope something opens up for you there.

*fingers crossed*

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2012

It sounds like he may have some inside info that he wants you to get ready for. Great compliment!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2012

Oooh...sounds promising. I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but I'm hopeful something will open up!!!

6. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 23, 2012

I bet it will work out in the end.... sounds like they know that you would be a great asset to their school....
    I didn't get a teaching job this year, but the school offered me an aide job .... i paid my dues this year as an aide, and they just offered me a job teaching 3rd grade next year.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

Sounds like he's definitely in your corner! What a nice conversation.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

Hopefully a lower elementary position becomes available soon.

9. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Apr 23, 2012

Stick with it! It sounds like he's going to keep you in mind if anything opens up in elementary.

10. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Apr 23, 2012

Well I'm really loving this school, today the vice-principal stopped by and told me not to get discouraged and to hang in there. That I just needed to wait a little longer and keep working for them and that "something" would come up soon.

I just wish I could be more patient...:)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

Sounds promising...but I'd still send resumes out to other schools.:) good luck!

12. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 23, 2012

I agree with czacza. I think this admin sees you in a lower elementary position and is planning on something opening up. With that said, I would keep looking. I have seen too many people miss opportunities while waiting on one particular school to make a move. Keep sending those resumes out there!

13. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Apr 24, 2012

I still do. I have recently applied for 5 other positions just in case. I got three more interviews. Just found out Friday I did not get a summer school position I applied for. Waiting to hear on another summer school position.

I have also been offered a temporary job working for a nutritional, outreach type of program but it would not start until November. I am seriously considering that since I can't feed my kids and pay my bills with hopes and promises :)

Just nice to hear certain things once in awhile...it's brutal out there:(

14. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 24, 2012

Awesome!

15. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Apr 24, 2012

This is awesome. I agree that it sounds like he knows something is going to open up and he really wants to see you get the job.
    There's only one thing that never makes sense to me and this isn't just this situation. Why does it matter if you don't have a perfect answer for a couple of interview questions if they already know you are a great teacher? You've shown them that obviously. It just seems like jumping through a hoop. I completely understand not hiring someone who misses a key question if they have never worked with that person before, but they know you. I always think that's weird. Yet, that type of feedback will be invaluable if it helps you land a job there or somewhere else.

16. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Apr 24, 2012

They ended up hiring someone they had interviewed before and had been a student teacher there a couple of years ago. Half of the staff did not get the job the first time, it went to someone that had built a reputation with them.

I appreciate the feedback from the admin and from the teachers. I am applying anywhere and everywhere just like everyone else.

These are difficult times and just to get the feeling that you are going in the right direction is really encouraging. It gave me the little push I needed to hang on for a while longer. I know nothing is guaranteed but to be acknowledged every so often does my ego a little good after so much bad.

:)