Didn't get job... okay to ask why not?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by gr8_life, Nov 5, 2006.

1. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 5, 2006

So you were interviewed and didn't get the job, is it okay to ask WHY and/or phrase it in a way that would ask how you could be a better candidate? This would be after the interview date. Do you think this puts the person "on the spot" and is that okay to do?? And assuming you did ask, do you think you'd honestly get a straight answer?

And when is a no a no, and when or should you try again in the same district?

3. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 5, 2006

Absolutely! I got a position (another career) many years ago (after coming in second during the interview process), and the HR person told me later that I was the first person she had ever had who called up and asked what I could have done differently, or what kind of experience would have made a difference for me, etc. She remembered me, and when someone then resigned unexpectedly, I got the job offer!

I told a teacher friend of mine that story when she hadn't been hired yet last year. One positive was that it kept her name in the ranks, and just like my experience, someone unexpectedly resigned and she was offered the classroom position. So, unless you get a really bad vibe about it, I would go ahead and call. Practice what you want to say first, though...think about maybe two questions you can ask, and see what happens. I bet they'll be impressed too.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 5, 2006

I've always gotten that advice as well....but I never did call the districts that didn't hire me. I agree with srh, though, don't call if you get a bad vibe.

5. Texas512

Texas512 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

I was sent an email to let me know the position was offered to someone else. I replied with a thank you and asked a question or two about what I might have done better. This was my first teaching job interview and I didn't know what to expect compared to engineering interviewing in my previous career.

I did not receive a reply but the same person was in on my second interview for another position in the same school and I was offered that job.

I don't think it hurts. And just like everything else, you can't know if they will ignore it, answer it or answer it honestly. From an employer stand point there is some risk in answering those kind of questions because the discrimination in hiring laws are so touchy. The answer could open them up to lawsuits.