didn't get it...AGAIN!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by lcluigs03, Jul 13, 2005.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 13, 2005

this is like the 6th rejection of the year! however, i did get offered a TA position at the city school where i interviewed. it's a long drive for not a lot of pay. so i started calling the schools closer by to see if they needed any TAs or PARAs and one wants to see me tomorrow. it's a start and it's only 15-20 minutes away. the assistant principal seems really interested (after we had talked a bit) and said that three of her paras from last year had gotten hired on full time there. so, not too bad, right? anyway, i'm excited to see where this goes.

just thought i'd share.

thanks
    LC

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2005

Good luck with the interview tomorrow. I've been a para for 4 years. Two yrs where I am now. The first year there I had a kindergarten student with down syndrome, this past year I worked with a child that has behavioral issues.
    The good thing about being a para is your are able to observe many different teaching styles and adapt them into your own style. My style has changed, expanded and grown over the last four years.
    I have a job interview tomorrow for a kindergarten position. I'm hoping i get it. I'm sick of being a para.

4. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

I think it's great that you are lookign into TA and Para positions incase something doesn't come up, but don't give up on the idea of your own classroom for next year yet. There is still time and some schools are just now starting the calls for interviewing. A few friends of mine just recieved the first call ever for an interview. I know of a few districts that don't even come back from Central office Vacation until next Monday. That means that they haven't done any of the last minute hiring yet. FH starts early (July 20th) but there are so many other districts that don't start until the middle of August. The district I did my student teaching in hired TA's and Para's well after school started, so that could still be an open option if nothing comes up later. Try to stay positive and believe that you will have your own class THIS year. Sometimes just putting those positive thoughts out there can do wonders.

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 13, 2005

"Try to stay positive and believe that you will have your own class THIS year. Sometimes just putting those positive thoughts out there can do wonders."

i'm a very positive person, but i'm more realistic than anything else. i've been positive that i'm going to get a job this year, but i don't want to run the risk of NOT getting ANYTHING! i know FH hires para's all year, but i want to have the security of knowing that i do have a job. since it's not a certified position i don't think i have to sign a contract (i very well could be wrong) and if that's the case then i could still search until i know all positions are filled elsewhere. you know?

6. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

Sounds like a good plan to keep looking and take a job if they offer. I would just check into the procedures if you get offered a classroom and decided not to stay. That way you keep all bridges open for teaching positions in the future. Good Luck, sounds like a great plan, there is definitely something to be said for security.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 14, 2005

How did your interview go today?