Did you take on a teaching job mid year?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by applecore, Nov 19, 2008.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 19, 2008

And if so, how'd it go?

There's no guarantees, of course, that I'll get the job (I was referred for the position), but I'd like to hear how others have faired taking over mid-year and things that have worked for them. I'm up rather early this morning thinking things through and wondering if I'm up for the challenge to apply for the position or just hope and pray that I'll be considered and hired for the next school year.

:thanks: for your input!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2008

I've covered clases mid year.

I quit in 2000 to be a SAHM. In February of 2001 I got a call from school: they had just fired a math teacher, could I come in and teach 3 freshman classes a day?

So these kids thought I was a "new teacher" though I had been in the building 13 years and had been department chairman 8 months prior.

Let's just say they thought I would have a whole lot more trouble than I actually did.

Here's a story I've told here before:Then in 2006 I came back, and ended up teaching 7th grade. In February (again) one of the PreCalculus teachers went out on maternity leave. The easiest fix was to bump me up to Seniors and hire a 7th grade math teacher. Once again, I'm teaching kids who assume I'm a "new teacher" since they had been in the building for 4 years and I hadn't.

I dive into the lesson on ellipses, which included talking about the "latus rectum." One of the boys found that hysterical, and asked a dozedn questions using that phrase, most of which made no sense at all. At the end of the period, I stopped and said: "Sam. I've potty trained 3 small kids. Do you SERIOUSLY think the word 'rectum' is going to make me run out of the room crying???"

He laughed, high-fived me on the way out, and I had an incredibly easy 6 weeks.

I say take the job, approach it with humor and a willingness to work hard, and you'll be fine!

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

The first year at my school, I took over three classes of second semester seniors - you can imagine what they were like, but we actually all got along nicely. I was asked back, made it through my two probationary years (not without a little difficulty, but with a lot of support) and got tenure last year. It doesn't always work out, but it can!

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

I'm wondering about this, too. I wasn't really planning to dive into teaching so fast, but I've heard a teacher may be leaving mid-year where I'm student teaching and I feel like it's an opportunity I should grab if I possibly can. However, I'm terrified at the very thought of taking over a class mid-year for my first official job!

6. Sphinxxy13

Sphinxxy13 Rookie

Nov 20, 2008

I did. The first month-month 1/2 I thought I wanted to quit. I did not have anything to go off either. I had hoped the other teacher would have left some kind of lesson plan, but no, I was left on the spot with nothing. :( But after catching myself to speed I feel better about the whole thing. I still feel behind all the other teachers, but I try not to compare myself. At first it might seem tough, but you'll get through it. I was once told by someone that you should give new experiences at least a month before you give up. :) Good luck

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 20, 2008

This year is the second year I do. It's pretty hellish, but if you stay consistent it should get better. As far as planning, it seems as though you're one step behind all year, though.

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 20, 2008

If you want to work and you have a chance at this, you should just dive in, both eyes shut. It isn't the easiest thing, but if you stay steady you can really prove yourself.

9. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 20, 2008

I started my first job mid-year right after graduating. It was definately a challenge, but I survived it!

And it was kind of nice that my first year was only half a year.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 20, 2008

I did. It was hard, but I had an awesome team that planned together and that helped so much. Make sure there is a good mentoring program and a good team to depend on before you are hired. One of the things I can appreciate now is that the interview was tough. They really wanted the right person for the job that could be a team player and they interviewed lots of people and were very honest about what I was coming in to. If the interview is too easy and they aren't very concerned about your answers, you might question if they think you will be there long term. It also helped that I had related experience (pre-k/early childhood) and that my internship was in kindergarten. It would have been much tougher to come from the EC background into a fourth grade position in the middle of the year.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2008

I started teaching mid-year right after graduation. I think the most important thing to remember is that the students are used of their previous teacher's way of teaching and they will have to get used to your style. You have to go in firm and let them know that you and Mrs. Old Teacher did some things that are the same and some things will be different. I enjoyed my first class and I am glad that I got the chance to teach them. If opportunity knocks, please open the door.

12. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Nov 24, 2008

I did...and my advice to you is to look VERY CAREFULLY at the school before accepting the job. If it's a tough class but the administrative is supportive, you'll have a curriculum to guide you and you'll have basic resources (i.e. textbooks, paper to photocopy with, etc) then it could be a great opportunity.

On the other hand, if it's a school with a poor administration and the class needs a new teacher due to classroom management issues and you don't have any sort of curriculum or textbooks (or even just one of the above) this may not be the best job choice. I had all of the above, and it was sheer hell coming in each day...I made it through the year (didn't actually teach anything but at least I was able to keep the kids fairly quiet in the classroom and the fighting/throwing stuff over the classroom dividers--as this was an open school w/ no walls--lessened; because I was locked in being a new teacher w/out tenure I came back the next year but by the end of the year I knew I just couldn't do it anymore...I quit and took a very part time job for the next two years while I went to graduate school and got my degree.

A few years later and I am in a decent school system, in a good school. I have the "tough" /below grade level but am able to do a decent job with them. If I were to go back now to that first job, I'm sure I'd be way more compentent, now that I am experienced and actually know how to teach (my undergraduate college did a very, very poor job preparing me to teach and my student teaching experiences weren't the most instructive, either), but when I think back now...I don't know how I made it through each day. Every night when I couldn't fall asleep, I'd check the time and mentally tell myself "It's two o'clock in the morning? At least I still have a whole five hours before I have to step into that building"--trust me, you do NOT want to put yourself into that situation.

13. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Dec 4, 2008

I am just now starting straight out of college. I finished Student Teaching Wed and started the job Thursday. I will let you know how it works out...

14. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 6, 2008

I took over a class the last week of October. I came in and spent the whole first week re-teaching routines, rules, and expectations. We talked about how the previous teacher and I are not the same person, so some things would be the same, some would be different. To me, this is the most important thing in the transition!!! You have to start your first few days as you would start the first few days of the regular school year. You need to teach YOUR routines, rules, and expectations (you can't just expect the kids to know). There willl be a little confusion at first, but you just keep teaching and re-teaching it. I think I have heard once in the past three weeks "but Ms._______ said this." It has been a very smooth transition (I need to find some wood to knock on), but I have a great administration, staff, and I love my students! My team members all pop in my room every day to check and see how I am doing and if I need anything (my mentor also makes two sets of copies for everything she runs off... one for her, one for me).

My very first week there, before I had even met her, the librarian came running up to me and gave me a hug (totally caught me off guard!)... she just said "Sooooo much better". Since then, I have heard from a lot of other teachers that the kids had walked all over the previous teacher. I had my second observation from my principal yesterday, and she came up after school to tell me what a great lesson it was. It is nice to know that people think I am doing something right. My principal even acknowledged me at the last staff meeting, talking about how difficult it can be to take over a class after school has started.

The only thing that is really a problem is my class being in the computer system under the old teacher's name, and her name still being on the school's website instead of mine... just the little things that I'm like, "But their MY class." It's very silly, but once those things are fixed, it will feel like I have totally taken over.

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 4, 2009

Bravo for those of you taking a class mid-year! Wow! My hat goes out to you!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I hope some one else will benefit from reading these great posts, as well!

:woot:I'm a bit slow posting an update....MIA for working and other family things, but now I have more time! Yea for more time here :)

Well, I didn't get the 4th grade position back in December (went through the whole interview process and all), and I'm thinking back to then and really glad that events worked out the way they did.

The person who did get the job is my good friend and previous classmate. I was so sad at first, and took it personal for a few days, but then I knew this was meant to be and put away my childish feelings to support my good friend...by golly, she needed it with those sweet cherubs who lived to test anyone! Besides, brighter days and other events were on the horizon that my family and I went through shortly after...and required my 100% attention. My friend is facing life without a contract and back on the streets looking for a job, like me, but it was meant to be...for both of us.

Now, I'm facing an interview for 2nd grade this week in front of another panel for next year. See, things really do work out for the best.

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

I hope that you get the 2nd grade position and I am glad that you were able to support your friend.

17. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

May 16, 2009

I started teaching in Jan of this year. Most of the kids don't take me seriously because we had 2 science teachers prior to me this year. I've lasted the longest. I have students ask me all the time why I care about them. I will not have the same position next year. I am transferring to a different school in the district. This was my very first teaching experience besides student teaching. I have learned a lot in these few months. Keep an open ear for advice, but do NOT allow anyone tell you that you don't know what you're doing. In other words, speak up when you feel you're right! :)

18. StellarTeach17

StellarTeach17 Rookie

May 20, 2009

I started a position mid-year, and it was difficult after the first couple weeks (It didn't kick in right away) that I began questioning my mangagement strategies especially moving from elementary to middle school. I feared that "Well she did it that way..." It took some time to get them adjusted. I still have issues with the talking issue; I guess I've learned "pick your own battles." It was a jump for me, and it was exhausting at first but I finally feel comfortable that the kids are used to "my" way and doing fine.

19. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 20, 2009

Gosh, mid-year teachers need a medal of valor! I'm commend you on your triumphs!

20. ScienceTeacher

ScienceTeacher Rookie

May 24, 2009

I left teaching for a while, but my business was going slow. The science teacher at this school quit, and a mother was on the phone the next day to tell the principal that I was available.