did you meet online?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scholarteacher, Jan 11, 2016.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2016

I'm 59, and have been divorced for over 10 years. I recently tried getting on Our Time, and have been communicating with a guy who is also 59 and lives in my city. He only knows my first name. He is out of town on business so we haven't met face to face yet, but apparently has fallen pretty hard for my pictures, and I'm anxious to meet him, too. Did anyone meet their significant other online? Was is scary and awkward at first? I'm scared to meet him in a way because, at 59, I don't have the figure of a model, although it's about average. I don't know what he expects. It's all fun and exciting in a way, and I know to look out for "catfish", impostors, etc. Can it really work?

oliviablond likes this.
  3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 11, 2016

Yep, and we've been married 10 1/2 years. Now, I met some doozies on there... YIKES!! You do have to be careful!

MLB711 likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 11, 2016

I didn't, but my mom did. They've been married about 10 years, now.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2016

Yes, but not through a dating site. We just started randomly chatting. We've been together now for about 15 years, married for about 10. :sparklingheart::sparklingheart:

6. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 11, 2016

I met my husband online. We met on pof and hit it off right away. We have now been together 3.5 years and married for 7 months!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2016

Blind date.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 11, 2016

My sister met her husband online, as did my cousin. They are all very happy.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 11, 2016

I had a long-term relationship with someone I met through JDate, but that one wasn't meant to be. My husband and I briefly met in person but maintained our friendship and eventual long-distance relationship over IRC (a forerunner to the modern chat room, but it still exists). I didn't own a cell phone at that point, so online chatting was a LOT cheaper than long-distance calls.

Online dating sites can be wonderful! Just remember that some people are serious, some are jerks, and some are downright trolls.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 11, 2016

I have a couple friends that met their husbands/boyfriends online!!
    My in-laws actually met through a PHONE dating service way back in the day!

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 12, 2016

My MIL was talking to guys online a few years ago. She was around 65 at the time. She met some nice guys and had dinner dates with them occasionally. Always in a public place. One guy she really liked turned out to be married.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2016

I've met a few boyfriends online. I'm currently talking to a guy now that I met online and we met for the first time over Christmas break. Seem like it could go somewhere, the only drawback is the distance (he lives in Scotland!). My best friend married someone he met on POF.

Good luck!

13. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

Jan 13, 2016

Yup. Married almost 14 years. My 24 year old stepson met his girlfriend 6 mos ago on OKCupid. He says people his age have no stigma about meeting/dating people online or via apps.

Good luck!

14. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jan 13, 2016

My boyfriend and I met off of POF almost 4 years ago. I have a friend who met her now husband on POF.

Online dating is great! Just always meet in a public area.

15. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jan 13, 2016

I met my husband online. It wasn't through a dating site - it was through a comic books site where we just started chatting and then emailing - but we've been married for 16 years so so far, so good. :)

artbrarian likes this.
  16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 15, 2016

I met my Sweets online. We have been together five years and married two.

17. scholarteacher

Jan 20, 2016

Thanks! I'm going forward with getting to know him. I'll keep you posted.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 20, 2016

I did only online dating after my divorce. Did two years of it. Met some jerks and weirdos. Met some fun people who weren't long-term matches. Met my current BF on Plenty of Fish.

We are a great match. He's a widowed 8th grade math teacher in the next county over. We seem to have great long term potential.

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 20, 2016

I met my BF almost 6 years ago on OkCupid. He was the only one I met in person. I think the key is to really be critical of the person you're about to meet. We talked online for about a month or two before we ever met in person. I was talking to other people too who I decided not to meet because something about them didn't mesh with me. I didn't want to waste my time. Be picky and choosy, and if the other person is the same, then you'll have a serious chance at it working out long term. If someone seems like a jerk online, they're probably a worse jerk in person, so don't bother.

20. scholarteacher

Feb 10, 2016

Well, the online guy never panned out. I googled his name and home state, and sure enough, it checked out, and even gave the phone number for his business that he had given me. He practically proposed for over 3 weeks, and then, bam, nothing. So I'm "talking to" another online guy who is taking things a little slower and may be legit. But, alas, you never know! :)

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 10, 2016

This thread made me think of a funny story. While I didn't meet my husband online, I did go out with a few guys from Yahoo personals (probably about 15 years ago). I met this one guy who was a teacher and we went out twice. He was nice but a bit older than me so it didn't work out. The funny thing is that my husband and I go frequently to the dinner theater and sure enough, that guy is one of the actors LOL I told my husband that I went out with that guy a few times and he laughed. The guy didn't seem to recognize me in the audience. Small world!

scholarteacher likes this.
  22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 10, 2016

Glad you got back into circulation. There's hope!

scholarteacher likes this.
  23. CML5593

CML5593 New Member

Feb 10, 2016

I've been with my boyfriend almost 2 years now and we met on the dating app, tinder. All is going well :) good luck with it

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 10, 2016

I met my boyfriend online 2 years ago. We've been living together for a year now, and he's an amazing partner and wonderful step-father (we're not married, but that's what the kids call him).

I think just like anywhere else, there are some good guys out there and some not so good guys out there. There are also good guys who just aren't right for you. It just takes time and patience.

25. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

Sorry your first guy didnt work out.
    Not a dating site, but me and the hubs met via random chats about video games and have been together 12 years, married 9. Turned out we'd even gone to middle school together! The world is a crazy wonderful place.

26. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 17, 2016

I met my SO online. We have been dating for almost three years, living together for just over a year. It can definitely work! You just have to be careful at first with how much information you give and where you meet people. Can't be too careful these days.