Did you make it through 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2021

without getting a new pet? :)
    I put my newest addition on my avatar.
    I will not become a crazy cat lady although I am very tempted.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2021

What a cutie! I ended up with 2 new cats, but only because my original cat passed away this spring. I had always planned to get 2 "next time" because I travel somewhat frequently and I felt horribly guilty every time I left him home alone for a week or more. I got a bonded pair (littermates) so they have each other for entertainment and snuggling when I'm not home.

tigger88 and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Aug 1, 2021

That is definitely the smart way to do it! All of my life almost, I have had 1 very pampered pet. If they couldn't travel with me, I'd pay through the nose for a babysitter to stay with them. I did not plan on having 2, but I just fell in love and couldn't help myself. It took months for the 2 I have to bond. It wasn't easy either b/c the older ( much bigger) 1 would sit on the little one until she squeaked and I made her get off. We had many sleepless nights too. Now it is much better. OMGoodness! She is such a sweetie and cutie. I love her to pieces!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 3, 2021

Nope. I got a new puppy in January!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2021

My two classroom guinea pigs are now house guinea pigs.

SpecialPreskoo and Tired Teacher like this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Aug 3, 2021

NY- Way cool! Puppies and kittens are so fun! Ima- I hope you enjoy them at home. I have not had much exposure to guinea pigs.

8. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 4, 2021

When I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about the school year (and the answer was "lol no, not even close").

Then I read the rest of the sentence, and the answer is still NOPE.
    My husband and I got two ADORABLE black kittens last June. They are now no longer kittens, and they're both pretty big (13lbs and 15lbs... but not obese! Just HUGE), but they are still very adorable.

9. Tired Teacher

Aug 4, 2021

That is cool you got 2 too. I think pets are really cool to have especially when you are home more than normal. One of mine has gotten huge too. They've sure given me a lot of laughs and joy.

miss-m likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2021

He's almost 9 months old and a real handful. I swear he hardly ever sleeps. He's always on the go and it wears me out LOL

11. Tired Teacher

Aug 5, 2021

What type of puppy? Mine are terrors at night chasing through the house, knocking things over, going in and out the door. They try to sleep in the day. When I think of it, I harass them when they try to sleep in the day.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2021

No new puppy or air fryer!!! We did however buy a house in May 2020 so that means we where out looking at houses as the pandemic started.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 6, 2021

He's a pug. He is gated in one room at night so he can't run amuck. There's no way I'd let him have the run of the house until he's older.

14. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2021

We got two cats from a local shelter during Covid, a tortoiseshell who is five years old and a tabby who is now 11 months old. We got the tortoiseshell first, but felt a second cat would give her a companion. Then, we got our tabby. Our tortoiseshell tolerates the tabby but would prefer no more cats in the house. They bring me joy. Our tortoiseshell sleeps with me on the bed.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 6, 2021

Air Fryer LOLOL :rofl:

16. Tired Teacher

Aug 7, 2021

Congrats on the new house! That's exciting! One of my kids bought me an air fryer as a gift during this time frame. I have yet to take it out of the box b/c IDK what I'd use it for or even how to use it. I had a deep fat fryer when I was very young, but didn't use it much. I remember though that deep fat fried stuff tasted good! :)

17. Tired Teacher

Aug 7, 2021

Well, that is smart and you have good self control. I let the boogers cuddle up in bed when they want to and would hate to hear them sad. At the same time, I hate to hear them knock stuff over too!
    They knocked some stuff off a landing and it sounded like an urn I have was knocked down the stairs. I was so horrified and glad to see it was something else that I love that was broken. Yikes! I was worried for a moment what the mess would be like.

18. Tired Teacher

Aug 7, 2021

Mine bring me a lot of joy and laughs too! My oldest tolerates the youngest too. Sometimes though she looks at me and I know she is thinking: Why did you let this creature in here? We had such an easier life before her! :)

19. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2021

Same. I know that look of reproach well. We call her our "crabby" grandma cat because she acts far older than her five years. The paperwork that the shelter gave us about the tortoiseshell included a behavior analysis which said that she might tolerate other cats but ultimately will do better in her own space. She has proven this to a T: loves pets, cuddles, and sharing sleeping spaces with other people, but has no desire to frequent the same space as our other cat. This may change as the two cats have only been together since March of this year, but only time will tell.

What have you done, Tired Teacher, to help your cats get along?

20. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2021

Congrats on the house. We have been looking at neighborhoods to possibly get a house in once I get tenure. Housing prices are cheap where I live (rural farmland in the boonies near a college town), so I hope we can really stretch our dollar. How was looking for a house during covid?

I bought my boyfriend a new air fryer in January of this year. His grandma had given us her old air fryer once she got a new one, and it was pretty good. However, the old air fryer lasted about three weeks before my boyfriend left it on a cooling stove and burned it. We had to get rid of it. The new one is serviceable but, as I put it, not the best model because I don't want this one to get burned, too.

21. Tired Teacher

Aug 10, 2021

First, I kept them separated from each other for a week. (Play under the door.)
    Then sharing scents. It was a long process to get them together.
    I feed them side by side.
    I tried to play, but the oldest gives up and looks super sad because the younger is more agile and always gets the toy first despite my trying to give my big girl an edge.
    Do you have any good ideas on how to help them get along good?
    They do sometimes.
    My big one has stopped sitting on the little 1 which is huge progress. ( The little 1 squawked loudly in protest.)
    They never did hiss. Also, it is so sweet once in awhile, they'll curl up and lay arms over each other.

22. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Sep 5, 2021

That was our problem right there. We kept them separated for about four days tops before my fiance started letting our little tabby out for supervised trips around the apartment we used to live in (he works a split shift job during the week and can do so, and I can't). Our older tortoishell was not a fan at all. We didn't do much scent sharing except with stuff like blankets and anything in our bedroom because both cats like our bed. Plus, our tortoishell became who we now affectionately call our "grumpy cat" when our tabby was brought home. She could smell the tabby and immediately started treating everyone like they were public enemy number one, except me. Don't worry, I eventually fell under the enemy umbrella too, it just took longer for me than the other members of the house. I think we need to backtrack and do more scent sharing. Our tabby loves any toy, especially if it makes noise or she can interact with it. I have shown the toys our tabby plays with to our tortoishell cat and she turned up her nose in disgust at least once that I can remember. They eat in the same room, but otherwise our poor tabby gets ignored. I shouldn't be surprised, though. We were told our tortoishell is better as an only cat and I think that is true (she does okay now, and is happy for the most part, but she was definately better before the tabby came).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  23. Tired Teacher

Sep 5, 2021

The separation is important, but mine has still not come close to perfect. My bigger 1 was used to being pampered and having her own way. She became grumpy cat for awhile too. She'd turn her back on me for awhile. She still is not 1/10th as lovey as before. Thank goodness the little one is a love bug! :)

24. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 7, 2021

We lost one of our dogs this past early spring. We rescued another in May. We currently have 2 rescue dogs. 1 is about 6 1/2 years old and the new one is about 8ish months old (we don't know for sure since she had been a stray).

25. Tired Teacher

Sep 8, 2021

I am sorry you lost your dog. They get to be like family. I am thankful you were able to give a home to a rescue. Strays sometimes to be the best! :)

26. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 8, 2021

Our Covid kitty is Lucy. We got her about a year ago because we had another kitty who died just before Covid. Our older cat has gotten used to each other. I know that many swear by a slow introduction when it comes to new cats, but I’ve always had much with letting them figure it out - and they have. They are just a bit spoiled as they have a 7’ cat tower to climb in our living room.

27. Tired Teacher

Sep 11, 2021

So sorry you lost one kitty! I had 1 die after having her 20 yrs and it broke my heart. Mine are very spoiled too! They have cat condos and a tall tower too. 1 of my kids always jokes about how life would have been good as a kid if I had treated them 1/2 as good as I do the cats! I always figured kids will have to grow up, work, and get along in society. So they did not get spoiled or get away with murder. However, my cats just have to get along with me! :)