Did You Know That?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2009

The average person is videotaped 18-22 times in any given day, meaning just going about their daily activties. That was said on Forensic Files, a crime/detective show on the TruTV channel.

I'm not surprised. There are cameras in stores & other places. Well, since we can't really do anything about it, I guess we should look on the bright side that we're hopefully accounted for if anything goes wrong.

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

? ok

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

scary and I have nothing to hide! LOL

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2009

same here

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

I'm confident that is not true in my case. My average day has me driving to work and I pass no cameras in the process although our town is considering installing some on the square, and then I go to work where we also have no cameras, then back home. Sure, when I stop for gas or head to Walmart I know I am filmed, but my routine doesn't put me under too many cameras. Not that I would mind it, but still...

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

I'm probably captured on camera at school over a hundred times a day--every time I walk down a hallway.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 31, 2009

Gee, I need to make sure my hair and make up are perfect before I enter stores.

9. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

Here is something to ponder.

Can you envision a time when cameras will be placed in your classroom to monitor activities?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2009

A little off topic but I think my husband and I had our pictures taken 40-50 times in the past 2 days with our Halloween costumes. Most of them happened at a party we went to but even tonight with roaming the neighborhood, people were taking pictures. I was little red riding hood and he was the big bad wolf. His costume was cute though because he had on grandma's gown.

I hope we never have cameras in the classroom but I can see it happening.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

I often wish we had cameras in classrooms for a couple of reasons... One, to support myself if ever accused of wrongdoing, and two, so that those teachers who do nothing would be seen doing nothing. Of course, you would have to have administrators who would actually review the footage and then act on it, so in my case the cameras would do nothing to force the non-workers to actually do something...

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

On a typical day, I go from my home to my car to my school... no cameras in any of those places.

I come home, do homework with the kids, make dinner, do the dishes, and put them to bed.

So, on a typical day, I'm not photographed at all.

Which of you guys is taking my turns???? :p

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

Aliceacc, I bet you are photographed many times without even knowing it. In New York (like California) many businesses have them out front which may get you driving past, not to mention banks, gas stations, parking lots and traffic cameras. Many grocery stores have them looking for shoplifting and employee theft. Our school has fancy cameras outside so I am photographed every time I am outside or on the playground. I bet in most cities we are easily photographed many times a day.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2009

Yes, I definitely think we're photographed or videotaped more often than we think.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

I worked in a daycare once where there were cameras the parents could log on to the internet and watch the live feed. The only problem was there was no sound - a child laughing and crying looks very similar-so they would be calling constantly to find out if the child was alright. I would love to have footage of kids whose parents think they are perfect little angels and don't believe they did anything wrong.

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

My first school had cameras in the classroom. Caught fights...kids stealing things...even a drug deal. They were always watching us. Beneficial sometimes...yet kinda weird. Our admin was Turkish and whenever we would walk into the break room...they would stop the conversation and watch you. Lol
    I don't speak Turkish...no need to stop for me. Might have been out of respect...but still. Lol

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Cities might be the key word there... :)