Did you know it's ok for kids with Lice to go to school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jul 26, 2010.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

We do not send kids home the day we find out that they have lice, live bugs or not. We do ask that they be treated and that by the time they return to school, they be live-bug free, but can have nits, as long as the nits are 1/4 inch from the scalp or further. If they do return (without a parent) without having followed those directions, we don't send them home. Parents know this and do nothing about anything.

My own 3 kids all got lice at sleepaway camp last year. I bought something from FairyTales Hair Care - a kit that contained shampoo, conditioner and leave in spray. The active ingredients are tea tree oil and rosemary. I don't know if it works 100% because my youngest daughter caught lice AGAIN in the Fall, but none of the rest of us did, but her case was very, very light (I only found 2 bugs and maybe 10 nits in the second case).

You have to do the bedding, the couches, the cars, the carpets, the toys, the towels....it's soooooo much work when a kid gets lice.

And yes, African American kids can get it - in my youngest's class, the child who started the infestation was AA.

2. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT:eek::eek::eek:
    You can be poor and not want bugs crawling on you!!!!!!!!!! How is that looking out for the child>?>?>?>?>?>?>?>

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

I have heard that cocunut shampoo and conditioner helps prevent it.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

It is very rare for African American's to get lice (although it is quite prevalent in Africa) due to the difference in the shape and width of their hair strands. Louse have a hard time grasping on to the strands of hair tightly.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

I have read the lice do not jump but I am also sure that I have seen jumping lice in a child's hair:whistle:

6. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

This may have been a flee (especially if it was black, like an ant.) In the nymph stage of a louse's life they can be flicked off by vigorous scratching, although it isn't as easy flicking them off as dandruff. If you comb lice and hit a snag, it is possible for them to be flicked out as well. It's physically impossible for lice to jump. They do not have the ability (thank goodness!)

"Head lice to not have hind legs to hop or jump. They also do not have wings and cannot fly." (Source: The National Pediculosis Association)

"There are many misconceptions about head lice. They do not transmit communicable diseases. They do not jump or fly; they can only crawl." (Source: Illinois Department of Public Health)

"CAN HEAD LICE HOP OR JUMP?
    No, head lice cannot hop, jump or fly. Their legs are adapted for grasping a person's hair." (Source: University of North Carolina)

"Head lice do not jump or fly. They can however move from an infested person to another person during play or other close contact. Head lice may also spread when an infested child shares combs, brushes, scarves, clothing, hats, towels or similar items. Head lice do not feed on cats, dogs, or other animals." (Source: University of Minnesota)

I could give you about 10 more sources, but I don't feel like finding my jump drive w/ my live essay. :D I did a massive research project on controlling lice in school, for a grad class.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

Well, this child definitely had it, and had it multiple times throughout the year. Her brother had it, too, and they just shaved his head for the rest of the year and he was good.

Maybe the one that "jumped" on the desk was dislodged by the child itching.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 28, 2010

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 28, 2010

10. teachnew

teachnew Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Bedbugs too!

At my last school we were told we couldn't send a child home who had multiple bed bugs crawling on her. The DOE told us it was not a public health issue and nothing could be done. We were all completely grossed out, as were the other children in the school when they saw bugs crawling all over their classmate! Poor child. I managed to get someone to fumigate the apartment, but the bugs returned after a month or so and stayed for the rest of the year...

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

Scratch, scratch...

At my school they go home and the nurse has to give them the ok before they can return to class.

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2010

hey; I remember discussing this before...using mayo or olive oil in the hair overnight; be sure and wear some type of head cover...rinse very well...and the lice and eggs wash out. Ewww. I'd also do several hair washings just to be sure.

If I ever happen to get them, I am going to try the olive oil treatment. :)

13. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

My son just got lice (yuck). From my research, it's fairly easy to kill the lice; its the nits you have to worry about.

I'd checked several times since his head started itching and never saw anything. No lice, no white nits. His nits were brown and matched his hair--new one for me. When I finally did find them, I thought it couldn't be lice because I'd always heard nits were white. I kindathought it was dirt. I did some research, and nope, they turn brown before hatching. Guess if I wouldn't have found (and treated) them now, I definitely would have seen the bugs themselves soon!

We have done the initial treatment, nit comb, vacuumed, sprayed everything, bagged stuffed animals, washed bedding in hot water...It's awful! Hoping we get every last one of those buggers! Getting ready to do the car now. Will definitely do follow-up treatment in 7 days.

And I think it would be gross to send him to school with bugs or nits in his hair. Wouldn't happen, even if his absence was unexcused. He actually had a play date today that had to be cancelled.