Did you hear about.....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by titansrst, Jul 15, 2008.

1. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

the idiot judge who a week ago ordered that a mother and father could not administer a grounding to their daughter and keep her from attending a school field trip. The girl had violated all kinds of house rules, including doing some bad things on either her cell phone or computer. You have to be kidding? I believe the kid was in middle school. Regardless, there wasn't any spankings or beatings to debate here. Parents can't win. What do you think? The little snot even had a lawyer representing her.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2008

How does that even get to court....EEK.

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

You can't spank, you can't ground--what is a parent supposed to do? I realize that some parents do not have any parenting skills (varieties of child neglect) and others must intervene, but when parents are simply trying to discipline their children I think others need to butt out. If this continues and parents aren't allowed to have any control in their home in the future, how are we as teachers going to have any control in the classroom ? It's easy to say "just earn a child's respect", but it is much more than that.

5. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

You are so right

It makes our jobs tougher, and, heck, we have to tiptoe around kids now for fear that we have damaged their egos. I have seen teacher cursed at, pushed around and generally disrespected, and not have anything done to the offending student.

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

What happened to requiring permission slips?????? If a parent at my school doesn't want their kid to go somewhere, then they mark it on the slip...sheesh what is this world coming to...

The parents should schedule a dental appointment for her during the time of the trip...lol

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 15, 2008

The simple fact that it ended up in court shows that the parents lost control of the child a long time ago.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

I realize you should always know the entire story before passing judgment on an issue, but...not this time! This is stupid, stupid, stupid...I don't need the details!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

This is just absolutely ridiculous!

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2008

I agree - you know it's amazing to me what we clutter the court system with. Since when did it become the government's job to dictate how we parent our kids (besides, of course, when they are required to step in and protect children being neglected or abused). I think it just goes along with the trend of treating this generation with kid gloves. I was watching Judge Judy the other day and this teenage girl "found" a cell phone that a fellow student had lost. She ran up this bill of calls and her defense was - the owner of the phone should have had it turned off, it wasn't her fault and her mother stood there and agreed her child was not responsible. We are way too worried about hurting anyone's self-esteem and we are headed for one spoiled group of grown-ups.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Y'all do know that the story is from Canada, not the U.S. Right? In America it most likely would not get to court. And as far as I know, a simple refusal to sign a permission slip is still all a parent needs to do to keep the kid from going on the trip. End of story.

Maybe the rules in Canada are different.

Worldnet Daily is notorious at writing outrageous headlines that appear shocking to Americans only to reveal, often mid-article, that the story is from the EU or Canada. What they are hoping is to cause outrage by making people think this stuff is going on here when it really isn't.

Also keep in mind that the source of this article is from a website who's founder, Joseph Farah, (along with many of the columnists whom he features) advocates the complete and total elimination of public education. They have adopted the notion that if you repeat the same lie over and over again, people will eventually see it as true.

Sorry, this time I think you really do need all the details.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

I have to dissagree with you sarge. It really doesn't matter if this happened it the US, Canada, Europe, or the moon. It also doesn't matter that the author of the article burries the fact that this didn't happen in the US. The only thing that matters is it happened. The idea that any court can dictate what a parent reasonably can and cannot do is ludicrous(sp?). Noting that abusive behavior is exempted from this tirade, the courts (of any country) have no business making these kinds of decisions.

Edited to add: I just read the article and fail to understand how opening it with "A father in Canada..." constitutes burrying the country of origin.

14. JoCoTchr

JoCoTchr Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Must point out a fact that I read in the article,

Is anyone else following me - this might be more of a custody issue than grounding from a school trip, however I agree with PP that this is an extreme case. :eek:hmy:

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2008

In a perfect world, yes. But many other foreign courts make far more outrageous decisions than that. Moreover, there are many aspects of education systems in other countries that we would consider unthinkable here, but don't raise an eyebrow when it takes place elsewhere. For example, in Ireland, Catholic schools are publicly funded. That could never happen here, but we don't think it's a big deal at all when it happens there.

On this thread, many of the responses indicated that the respondant was under the impression that the story took place in the U.S. In journalism classes, the first thing you learn about writing a headline is to include all relevant information in it. Specifically, we were told, that if the story is not local, then you put the location in the headline. Otherwise, people will think it is local. To do otherwise might constitute misinformation.

Worldnet Daily intentionally leaves the location out of their headlines whenever the story shows something they disapprove of in an unfavorable light. So if a judge goes especially lenient on a violent criminal, if a law is passed restricting Christian evangelism, or if a family is threatened with legal action because they homeschooled their kids, and those stories come from outside the U.S., the fact that they are events happening in other countries will not be revealed until you click on the link. The problem is that a lot of people get their news these days by skimming the headlines on the internet and not following the link to the actual story.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

Nope, I know all I need to know. This is ridiculous. And I'd also like to note that it doesn't matter where this took place - America, Canada, or elsewhere.

17. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

Sadly this doen't surprize me. It is shameful, parents get to go to jail for a teenager ditching school repeatedly, but the court ties all hands of enforsing rules.

When I was in grade school in a feeble attempt to get kids who were being abused to report thier parents or parents lovers they told us "If your parents tell you no you cant do this or you cant do that, and you don't like thier answer call CYFD and report them they are stiffling who you are and that is abuse!" My sister and cousin were feed the same line of puckeywhen they had to see counselors while taking Ridaline (sp?)

18. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

To Kindergirl

I remember that episode of Judge Judy you wrote about and found it disgraceful. The attitudes of so many parents are terrible. Many parents want the death penalty for any offense done to their child, but when their kid does something, that child somehow becomes the victim. "My poor baby," cries some silly mother. I tell you, half these kids makes one wish that abortion was retroactive.