Did you hear about this L.A. teacher? *sensitive*

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sunshine*inc, Sep 27, 2010.

1. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 27, 2010

Oh, that is just horrible.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 27, 2010

I live east of L.A. and it has been all over the news. The district called for the LA Times to remove the teacher ratings and they declined.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 27, 2010

That's too bad however, there must have been something else going on with that teacher. One should be able to receive feedback whether it's negative or positive and not react in such an extreme way.

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 27, 2010

Even so, it was still the straw that broke the camel's back...

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2010

I agree. Suicide is not a reasonable response for this. I can understand being upset, but I don't think that a rational person without suicidal tendencies would have done this. I can see how if he would have been having problems to begin with, this might have been a contributing factor. I doubt it was the factor, though.

I feel sorry for him and for his family. It's a terrible situation.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 28, 2010

oh yes, you are absolutely right but I hope the blame is not laid upon the school or administrators with this.

It is very sad and I hope that this family finds peace.

9. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Sep 28, 2010

That is really sad.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2010

How very sad that his life had gotten to the point where he felt that this was the only response.

That said, it's not about the LA Times or the rating he received. It's about his emotional status and why he felt that this was the reaction he should have.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2010

Is suicide ever a reasonable response? I think it always stems from mental disease, but if you put your life into your career like many of us do, I can see where something like this might be the last straw.

As for the paper itself, anyone else really have the urge to get the paper and attack it with red pens and publish THAT? Maybe keep a tally of who has the poorest writing and makes the most mistakes in the paper?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2010

No, it is not. And that's my point. I agree that it's very, very sad, but I don't think it's fair to totally blame the paper for this incident. How many other teachers had negative things printed/posted, and how many of them committed suicide? It's not a normal response.

13. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

I agree that suicide is an extreme response, but I can understand why he did it. Teachers give their hearts and souls to teaching kids, but they are criticised by students, parents, administrators, and the public every day. To have a flawed ranking list you as a "bad" teacher, in the newspaper for everyone to see, when you have tried your best under difficult circumstances is very demeaning and demoralizing. You see no hope to make it better, and you can't ever see that anyone will ever forget it or even hire you again. It's not as if he abused kids or committed a crime. He was doing his best, and he was hounded and bullied by this article. He saw no way out, and frankly I'm not sure I would have, either.
    I feel so sorry for this teacher, and for his family.

14. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 28, 2010

Not only this article, but the entire atmosphere of teacher bashing over the last few years. What other profession do people go into with such good intentions and then get criticized by every Tom Dick and Harry with a big mouth and no experience in a teacher's shoes? It's incredibly discouraging. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big drop in the numbers of people going into the profession over the next few years. Then where will we be?

15. Eshields1014

Eshields1014 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

Very sad and I think the paper should remove this, people take there jobs and careers very seriously and can be very effected by what other say

16. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

:yeahthat:

17. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 28, 2010

Exactly to you both. What's even scarier is that other teachers can't understand how the LA Times article can trigger this suicide.

Unless their names and test scores and low ratings are online, they can't speak on that type of public humiliation. Just because other teachers have yet to commit suicide, doesn't mean there aren't negative effects, and there are reported to be other negative effects such as cheating, but other teachers are so quick to defend or excuse the very ones bashing and ripping the field to pieces.

If his own *family* said it was the LA Times article and stress at school then I'll take his family's word over anyone else's. And everyone knows that people who commit suicide have underlying issues, that doesn't excuse the responsibility of LA times.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2010

I agree. That's very sad, but that teacher clearly was dealing with emotional issues already. I am not quite sure what the teacher ratings are, but certainly committing suicide over it is not a typical, normal reaction. There were other things in this teacher's life that contributed to the suicide.

19. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Sep 28, 2010

Oh my goodness. I'm shaking and crying as this hits very close to home. I did not know this teacher personally, but his sister is best friends with my sister in law, who lives with me. Sunday morning she (my sister in law) received a call while we were driving to church. It was my sister in law's best friend's husband telling her about her brother. I didn't even think to look online for a news story. This is very, very sad =(. My heart goes out to the family, especially my sis in law's friend, who is taking the news very hard. She wasn't told about his dissapearance until Sunday because of her high risk pregnancy. I can't imagine how hard it was to tell her about his death.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2010

I don't think the LA Times should be held responsible for the suicide. Everyone experiences stress in their lives. I have had my share, but I have never committed suicide because of it. The teacher must have had emotional issues and was already suicidal. We can debate whether or not the publication of the teacher rating was necessary, or even right, but blaming the LA Times for another person's actions is ridiculous.

21. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

How terrible for that man and his family. I will keep the family in my prayers. :( :(

22. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 28, 2010

Not directly responsible, but the LA Times seems to be on a tear to "out" people lately. There is a huge scandal about the salaries of some city council employees that got people terribly upset. While that may have been verging on criminal behavior by some standards, there is no reason to publish some crazy job performance metrics. If that's going to be the standard, I want to see them for everyone in the public sector. How is every city employee, firefighter, cop, and DMV clerk performing at their job? For that matter, what about every person serving in the Armed Forces? In the private sector, performance reviews are considered confidential. Just because teachers work for the public, there is no reason to hang them out to dry. It's reprehensible.

23. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 28, 2010

Or how about journalists? Let's see them rated on the same scale and have the result published.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2010

I cannot express how humiliated I would feel had this happened to me. Considering how much—too much—I pour into my career, this publication would have beyond crushed me. And suicide or no suicide, the publication itself really, really annoys me.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 28, 2010

We don't know what was going on in his life. I don't think I'd ever commit suicide over a poor rating, but desperation can make us do irrational things. What other pressure was he feeling at work? What other stresses were there? It absolutely infuriates me when politicians or anyone else thinks test scores are an accurate measure of any teacher's time, effort, dedication, and effectiveness. No one ever looks into all the other mitigating circumstances surrounding test scores and says they could be the result of low parent involvement, cultural influences on attitudes toward education, crime rate, etc. It is always the teacher who apparently is the one and only person that can influence test scores. Anyone who would even think about taking his life over such a skew(er)ed rating is/was probably giving more than 110%. My heart goes out to the man and his family. I'd have finished out my contract year and left for a new profession if this had happened to me. The anger and humiliation would have been unbearable.