Did you have to move to get a job?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SweetHomeAlabam, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I am getting a little nervous. I still have till next fall before I student teach, however, I have already had 3 people that I know trying to get a job for the second year in my area. The University is one town away, so they are graduating out a pretty good handful of teachers every year. !!
    Hubby says if we need to move, then we'll move. I appreciate the support from him and that helps, but it still scares me that I will have to pick up my kids and move away from family, friends to find a job!!!!

If you had to move, where did you come from and go to?
    Was it for lack of positions or for financial gain?

:thanks:

3. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I am currently teaching in South Carolina. I moved from Pennsylvania. I was a substitute for seven years. Back then Pennsylvania produced 10-12 thousand teachers a year for 3-5 thousand jobs and was very political. I never wanted to be hired for who I knew, but what I could do in the classroom instead.
    I moved to South Carolina 10 years ago and LOVE it. I am in a great school with supportive administration and kids that love learning (most of them)

4. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Jul 30, 2008

What part of South Carolina are you in. Hubby actually had a job offer in Aiken (not sure on spelling)

5. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I did move 100 miles away to get a job. My husband was also supportive of the move.

I graduated in 2002 in a small town in SW Washington. We were fortunate to be able to participate in a distant education program to get our degrees. Unfortunately, jobs didn't open up the year I graduated and still haven't. The few that were hired the year I graduated knew people and were hired because of it. I sent off numerous (15+) applications to neighboring districts and didn't get a single interview. I finally decided to apply up north in the Seattle area. The particular school district that ended up hiring me was the ONLY district to give me an interview. It's funny that they say the teaching field is SO desperate for teachers, because I still don't see it! It was a scary move, but I wouldn't change it. I love living in the area and I'm still close enough to home if I need to travel back.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

I moved back home from St. Johns County (St. Augustine, Florida) for my job. :) I miss St. Johns County a lot (outstanding support, excellent test scores, professional... one of the best counties to work for, in my opinion), but I like where I grew up, too, one hour north of Tampa.

7. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Are you close to Tuscaloosa? When I graduated I interviewed there but there were so many people and so few positions. I'm not originally from that area, so I didn't mind moving to get a job. I'm in Shelby Co. now and it's great. This wasn't the best year for hiring, but it's a quickly growing county, so there will always be a need for teachers.

8. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I decided to relocate to take a position that I really wanted

I sort of moved to take a position. I live with my parents and due to finances and the instability of substituting I decided to move back to the area where they were moving. But instead of going back and trying to sub I decided to take a volunteer position with AmeriCorps. They have a Reading Corps division and I get a small monthly stipend. My title is K-3 Literacy Coodinator. I will be working one on one with kids doing reading interventions. When I first learned about this program I was really excited about the prospect of working one on one with kids. I figure that this will look better on my resume than several years of subbing. Plus, I was told by the hiring manager that this is a good way to get a foot in the door of the school district.

Mldouglas

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

I didn't move, but I should of. Instead I commute 44 miles round trip.:(

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2008

I commute exactly 50 miles round trip, and the funny thing is, I relocated for a job :)

I tried to find a position for a year in RI, then decided to give NC a try. I like it here. I would do it all over again....but I really miss my Dunkin' Donuts coffee!!:haha:

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 31, 2008

For my first teaching job I moved 215+ miles from southern Maine to what is known as Down East Maine. I would drive home every weekend to see my family. It was a 4 and a half hour trip. I was lucky to be able to find a job in my home town last year! I do miss my first job but not the driving.

12. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Jul 31, 2008

The teaching field is so hard right now! I lucked out with a job fairly close to home, but I stress every year about cuts! Anyone else, or am I just worrying too much?!?! Is the teaching field ever going to turn around?!?! I have lots of friends who apply year after year and never get in!!! I feel bad for them!

13. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I moved this year from Los Angeles to Utah...739 miles away leaving my family behind..except my son :) I made him come with me LOL

14. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I'm from Ohio, and it was very difficult to get a job here as well. I substituted for 2 years before being offered a full time job. Moving was not going to be an option for me, so I just stuck with substituting, I knew something would come up. If you don't mind substituting, I kind of consider it paying your dues, I suggest making it known to the teachers and district that you are a licensed teacher looking for a job. I was hired in the same building that I substituted in.

15. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

Pisces Fish you don't have a Dunkin Donuts. I live in eastern NC and we have one.

I did not have to move. I got hired in the same city where I went to college. My family live a county over, so its easy to get to family.

I love NC! Very nice state to live in. I do want to move to the piedmont region in about 2 years, just to get a change of scenary.

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2008

My first job was 20 miles closer to my apartment than my student teaching.

17. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

i live in missouri and it took me 3.5 years to get a job! i'm glad i held out...i now work 20 minutes away. i will NEVER leave this job. the area is booming (they need teachers) and i'm scared i won't get another job (due to having 4-5 nearby colleges and city schools closing forcing teachers to relocate).

i work in a small town...the pay isn't great (if i moved one county over i would go up about $5000 but be working for extremely political district). but i wouldn't change.

keep your head up! start making some contacts now in the districts near you. and don't be afraid to drive...i was willing to drive 1hour or more!

good luck
    LC

18. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 31, 2008

Sorta. I'm from Ohio and went to college in Kentucky. I really liked Kentucky, but I knew that if I wanted a job in Ohio (which I did), I needed to student teach in Ohio. So I begged, begged, and begged and was able to student teaching in Ohio. I student taught in my DD, and then was offered a LTS sub position from Feb. to the end of the year. Since I had subbed for the same teacher for so many days, I was considered a contract employee...which allowed to put in for internal transfers. Three interviews later...I was offered my current position in my dream school!

19. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I graduated in Arizona, got married and moved to Los Angeles. I haven't been able to find positions in LA so now I'm moving back to Tucson because I was offered (and I took it!) a 5th grade position. I'm having to leave my husband in LA b/c he has his own work contract that he is still attached to but he will be following me in about a year and a half.

My recommendation would be to start making connections with principals and schools in your area. I was amazed at the various connections I still had in Tucson that I wasn't even aware about b/c of word of mouth.

Oh and a piece of advice that one of my supervising teacher gave at the beginning of my methods class: "Be careful what you say and do because you never know who is listening and who will notice. This goes for your students and the other teachers that may one day be your peers. You don't want to give them (other teachers) a bad impression which is then shared with administration which then makes it's way to other people."

20. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I'm from north western pa...teaching jobs are scarce there (I graduated in 2005.) I have relatives that live in Maryland so I moved in with them until I found a full time job. It worked out great:)
    (Although my first school wasn't a good fit for me....I found a new job after my first year teaching that I love.) It was way easier finding a job in the MD/VA area.

21. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

What college? I went to Western.

Anyway, moved from KY to DC and love it.

22. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Fortunately no, I didn't have to relocate. My job is about a 15 mile drive south, and my partner teaches about 22 miles north... we live somewhere in the middle. I really really really lucked out finding my job because typically it is VERY difficult to find an elementary art teaching job, as there is usually only one art teacher per school. There were quite a few applicants from what I heard, but thankfully I got it.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

I actually moved from Canada to Georgia:p. When I moved back to Canada to my home city, I had to move 3 hours away to get my present job.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

Ohhh, an art teacher! I have to teach art to my class and needless to say we only had about 4 art classes last year. You may be hearing from me.:D

25. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I worry all the time about finding a job. I will student teach this fall and graduate. I know it can be hard to find a job in January. I am being optimistic though. I will defintely have to get a job in January, teaching or something else.

26. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 31, 2008

I'm a Colonel! :) So I went to Eastern. I considered student teaching in Lexington, and living there after graduation...but I'm glad I moved back home now. :)

27. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

My first year (In NC), I didn't relocate, but drove about 45 minutes each way. Then I moved to FL for the next 4 years and moved around some in FL but in general didn't travel very far and now this year I'm back in NC for several reasons, one being that I was ready to leave FL (again for several reasons), and another being that I really wanted a job here.

28. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 31, 2008

I didn't have to move to get a job, but I neither tried to get a job where I went to school, or where I grew up. I did intentionally move to Chicago and that is where I found a job.

29. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I am from the UP of Michigan, which is very rural and hard to find any job - especially teaching. My husband is also a teacher - which made thinks almost impossible.

We started out moving from Michigan to Charlotte, NC - to an inner-city school. Loved the area, hated the schools. Then we moved to rural Minnesota - too rural. Hated the area, loved the school. Finally we settled outside of Madison, WI. We are about 5 hours from "home", but love the area and the schools, so we're finally here to stay :).

I know what you mean though - my sister just graduated in Elem Ed, and she's having a rough time finding a job. The market seems to be getting even worse.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2008

I know many people move out of state for a teaching job & that's completely their perogative, but I probably would never do that. The job would really have to be extraordinary & paying no less than $75,000/yr for me to move that far & we all know new teachers don't get paid that much! Who's to say that you won't be let go once you go through all the trouble of moving?

I've never had to drive more than 30 minutes to any job I've ever had in my life.

31. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Hahaha... no problem, I'd be happy to help.

32. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 31, 2008

I went to JSU and never could get a teaching job in Calhoun Co., Oxford City, J'ville City or Piedmont City. After I moved back home I got a job in my county about 7 miles from where I live. A friend of mine is having trouble finding a job here now. She is a para in my school but has her teaching degree. There are so many leaving Jeff. Co. and coming here with more experience to her none and she doesn't have a chance. I'm afraid she may have to move or at least commute if she wants a teaching job.

33. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Yes. I had a hard time getting a teaching job in NJ so I went and worked at a library (I ended up working at this library on and off for 13 yrs). Anyway, DH and I were getting tired of NJ and we weren't able to buy a house in our area. DH told his boss that if there was ever an opportunity to move to NC he'd like to go. He said it and was done with it. A year later he boss approached him and said that he could go (and keep his salary). We were a little torn because I was finally moving up in my position but we both knew we had to take the opportunity. We moved at the end of June in 07. Within a month I had several interviews for both teaching and library jobs. It took a couple weeks but I was offered a teaching position (and a day later I was offered a library position and they really wanted me). It was definitely the best move for us and I don't regret it at all. BTW, we don't have any kids so that wasn't an issue.

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

I am beginning to think we are twins separated at birth :lol: Both 5th in NC from th north, both looking for bingo chips, both relocated and have a commute....
    I moved 700 miles to frive 35 miles EACH way to work.

35. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Yes, but not really.

We moved from the area where we were living at the time (where my college was) closer to the area where I would be working... but it's where my family lives, so it wasn't really like moving as much as moving back home.

The move was about 75 miles, and I'm still 50 miles away from work. Ouch. But I like being near my family. Don't ask me about the commute (we are planning to move closer, though, in the fall... it just took us a while to get to this point).

I think the real answer to this question is... I didn't limit myself when I applied for jobs. I applied to almost every district in VA, and lots of private schools, too.

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

I move 760 miles from MI to NC after subbing for 3 years. I LOVE it here but miss my family. I would be happy if I could get them to move here :)

My only regret is waiting so long to move....

37. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

I did not have to move, but my commute for my first job was about an hour and my current commute is 45 minutes.

38. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 31, 2008

I did move to get my first job. I went to NYC because they needed teachers and I needed a job. My city was not hiring any new teachers for the year and was cutting jobs all over the place. I think there was a billion dollar deficit in Seattle at the time!!!

Anyway, I went to NYC and taught in the Bronx. It was very hard, but I would recommend it to anyone. I learned a lot and it made me very desirable when I moved back home. People always were impressed with the experience, even though I personally don't think I did all that well at that job.

39. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I am in Sumter, SC. Not quite sure how far that is from Aiken.