Did you ever think?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by dxj6482, Sep 4, 2010.

1. dxj6482

dxj6482 Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I know it's just the beginning of the year and I am just overwhelmed by EVERYTHING, but is anyone else secretly wondering if maybe K isn't the right fit? I am so overwhelmed, I secretly wonder if maybe a different grade is a better choice for next year.(Probably would be the same way then too!) I love my kids but, has anyone had these thoughts, or is it just me?

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

Hang in there. Kindergarten is rough at the beginning of the year. Things do calm down as they learn the routine and what you expect. Every year when school starts I am totally worn out, but by October things get better. I love the second semester of kindergarten. That is where the learning will really takes off. They grow up so much during the year. So to answer your question I hate the beginning of the year, but kindergarten is where I want to be.

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

never. I never questioned teaching K.

sorry that it is so tough, I bet it gets better quick!

5. treehugger

treehugger Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I love teaching K but every September I always forget how hard the first month of school is. Hang in there, it does get a million times better, and by June, you'll have forgotten about the overwhelmed feeling you had....until next September again!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

It's not for everyone. We have a teacher who was moved to Kinder this year who is really struggling-I just don't think she was made for K. She can't be silly and sing with them. I gave her a pack of little cheers to do when they give a correct answer and she just looked at me like I had 2 heads. Doesn't like to get on the floor to work with them. I do think she'd do better with another age group. What is it that you don't like about K?

I've never doubted that was were I was meant to be. I miss it terribly now that I'm in First this year. Listen to your instincts. Do the best you can with them this year-as Zoey's mom said the reward of their progress will be totally worth it.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

My first year in Kinder, I was not sure if it was where I was supposed to be. Now, I have no doubts. I love it! I do not love September so much, because if you think about it, when we left school for the summer, all our kiddos were blossoming first graders with a year of school under their belts. Now, we have a room full of newbies. It just takes time to teach routines and get back in the swing of things. Hang in there! I hope it gets better!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

September is rough in ANY grade!! I'm teaching third, fourth and fifth, and I long for it to just be ROUTINE already!! It's very tedious to teach routines and to go slooooowly with everything. But even my upper elementary kids are 'starting over' after a whole summer off. Good luck, and know you are not alone!!

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 5, 2010

From subbing and other field services, I know Kinder nor 1st is a good fit for me. On my cover letter I wish I could put, "2nd through 6th grade" preferred, but I know you can't be picky.

It's ironic because I was initially going to major in Early Childhood education. Once I got experience, I knew what was best for me.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 5, 2010

Yes, I think that every year!. :D I start to really enjoy kindergarten around March when the kids are reading and writing, and I feel like I can do a little more academically. I know K isn't where I want to be forever. However, I would never let the kids know that! I still love my job and give it my all.

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

I just look for reasons to laugh! It's that or I might lose it!

12. dxj6482

dxj6482 Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

Thanks to all who replied. I taught PreK in my school district for 3 years until they closed my school at the end of last year due to budget cuts. Originally, I was placed in a first grade, and then the week before school started I was reassigned to K. So I am in a new school, with new teachers, and my curriculum has not come yet. The other K teachers try to help, but can't really share things they need to teach. I am feeling OVERWHELMED!!!! Thanks for letting me know most of you feel this way at the start of school!:hugs:

13. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Hang in there - I promise it does get better!

14. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

I was actually nervous about K.... more so with what they need to know by the end of K to have a successful year in 1st grade. Now that I'm in K and most of my kids kinders have the foundation for kinder goals/standards I'm pushing them more towards 1st material... but of course I'm doing a lot of the balancing act.

I do love the maturity level of the k's... especially since 2yrs prior i was in preschool... so not questioning it just trying to find my groove.. hopefully sooner rather than later!

15. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 6, 2010

This is my second year in K and I LOVE it. I will tell you - this year my first day was MUCH better than last year (my first in K) because I knew more about what to expect... which is to say not much. :D It gets MUCH better after a few weeks, trust me.

16. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

September is very difficult. Just getting the routines down seems like a huge mountain to climb. Around Thanksgiving, I really think it gets much easier and then I love it!

I have taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. It is hard to remember at the beginning of school that you are really getting pre-schoolers. You have to make them Kindergarteners. I think with any grade, you forget that you get them at the previous grade. Hope this makes sense.

17. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

I absolutely agree. Laughter is the best antidote for insanity in K. Plus you cant help but laugh sometimes.

:lol:

18. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

Rough Start

I'm having a really rough time too. I have a class of 19 students, mostly boys. Five of them are what I would consider difficult. Four of them should be on afternoon meds and none of them are yet--one will finally be on them tomorrow, yippee! I have one who is probably OD. The others are just plain bouncing off the walls. Of course our school food is the pits. Poptarts for breakfast, then pizza, corn, pick any carb! I'm tempted to put these five students all at one table so that there will only be one table that's challenging. I know that is so wrong, but I can contain them better that way! I did it one year when I had two really loud talkers. I rearranged seating, but it didn't seem to help. Plan C, D, E, F........:unsure:

19. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 8, 2010

Mrssammieb sometimes I think I laugh when i shouldnt! I have to remember that my kinders are smart and they catch on quickly. This is my 1st... and I feel like an octopus with 3 heads at times. But I take joys in kids when they finally stop crying, or they get something for the 1st time. I'm enjoying montessori because 1 of my kids picked up some morning work that is substraction, got some manipulatives and with a lil assistance did the whole work!