Did you ever seriously mess-up or cry at an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Milsey, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 17, 2012

One time I told an interviewer if I don't get this job my roommate is gonna beat me when I get home. I meant it as a joke but the interviewer wasn't smiling; he looked kind of perplexed and proceeded to wrap up the interview. :eek:

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

Maybe you would benefit from a professionalism course. I don't want to be rude, but I think sometimes it's hard for some people to know what's appropriate in situations and what's not. It's always good to have a refresher. I wouldn't make a joke like that, but I understand mistakes happen. Violence is never funny though, especially in an interview situation.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

Hmmmm.

Anyway, I'm sure you were so embarrassed, but you were probably nervous and just wanted to break the ice! Aside from the normal awkwardness surrounding a job interview I've never said anything stupid or embarrassing...yet ;)

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

No offense, but that sounds kinda crazy :)
    I feel that any kinda joking is best avoided at interviews - you're there to show that you are professional, serious, committed and dedicated about teaching and student learning. Leave the humor for later!!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

Nope, I never have.

And neither have any of the candidates I ever interviewed.

I'm curious... what makes you ask?

7. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 17, 2012

I almost cried once. I believe the interviewer asked what was the most shocking thing I experienced in my practicum placements. (I was right out of college.) The only thing I could think of was a teacher in an inner city school who would actually made fun of her students in front of the entire class. It made me tear up as I was telling her. It was awful. I was so embarrassed, which made it worse, but she was kind about it.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

Having been interviewed a number of times and having served on my district hiring committee, I can empathize with candidates who might get nervous trying to put their best foot forward. However, I haven't ever experienced a situation anything remotely like what the op describes.
    Are you still interviewing, Milsey?

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

Last summer I interviewed for a position I really had no business interviewing for because I was desperate for a job. The interviewer asked me a content question that made absolutely no sense to me. I sat there for what felt like eternity and finally had to say..."Could you clarify? I'm not sure I understand the question." Luckily, he laughed and said, "That's because it's a trick question." He was very good natured about it, but I was super uncomfortable for the rest of the interview, feeling like I had totally shown my lack of expertise in the subject area. Obviously, I didn't get the job. It was the scariest, most uncomfortable interview ever, but I think it really helped me in my next interview (at my current school). I was able to go in thinking, "It has to better than the last one!"

10. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

Worst I did when interviewing for a geography position was mention the Miss America (or was it Miss USA) contestant from South Carolina who flubbed her question about all the "US Americans" who need maps, or how we need to send maps to "the Iraq and South Africa." Thankfully the P knew about it and laughed, but as the words came out, my more rational side realized what I said, but it was too late to stop.

While I didn't get the job, it did not hurt my chances. I was much more thoughtful of what I was saying in my next interview though!

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

I haven't done anything serious like that but I was at an interview where a girl came out in tears going on and on about how hard the questions were. I didn't think they were anything out of the ordinary but it was her first interview. I felt bad for her.

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

You're one of my favorites Milsey, as long as you're not teaching anyone I care about ;)

13. TXspedteach

TXspedteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

LOL

:lol:

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

I wonder if she will reply.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

No.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

:lol:
    Seriously though, the kids you don't know also deserve a great teacher.

17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

This is true :)

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

I said a super dumb thing on one of my spring interviews. I was interviewing at a really NICE school....I mean amazing facilities, enriched curriculum, the whole nine yards. The school served a predominantly wealthy population. When the admin asked me what I liked about the school I complimented everything above...and then proceeded to rant that my school had none of this for my current kids and how my kids have recess in a dirt pile and how unfair that was. I was horrified when I said it, but they were very kind and understanding. :wub:

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

20. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

I worked at a school where I was miserable! Absolutely miserable! For many reasons, I was looking to leave. For my current job (yay!), I interviewed with three principals and the superintendent. The interview was very conversational and kind of laid back. I actually said a lot of things I hadn't planned on saying because I was so comfortable and they seemed receptive to what I was saying. The superintendent asked me how I felt about the pay cut I would have to take if I took this job. I replied, "It depends on what the number is, but I was going to end up needing the extra money for therapy!" I hadn't planned to say it, but oh well. Luckily, all four of them cracked up! I was kidding, but serious. I got the job that day, so the comment definitely didn't hurt me. Afterwards, it bothered me because the comment could have been perceived differently if an interviewer thought that I thought therapy was bad, which I don't.

My teaching partner at the first school, who is an outstanding teacher, cried at her interview for another job when she was describing the problems at our school. Her crying wasn't planned and the principal who interviewed her was sympathetic and didn't hold it against her. She got the job.

I think authentic humor and even crying can be okay in the right situation, though I don't know how often those situations come up. Although it didn't hurt my colleague or me, it is a very risky thing to do. Jokes about violence, probably moreso.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

:whistle:

No, I have never cried in an interview, nor have I lied.

22. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

Isn't the original poster the same person who said they missed an interview because they had a bad hair day? :wow:

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Yes.

24. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

Went searching...was surprised to see so very many posts from one individual so clearly meant just to get a reaction, phrased just carefully enough that it wasn't necessarily blatant...and for over a year and a half, wow.

I've always done my utmost to be professional in an interview (and, well, anywhere). The one and only time in my life that I didn't plan well enough and was half an hour late to an interview, I called at the interview time to explain I was lost and apologized profusely, asked if they still wanted to meet with me, and did show...we all acted as if it was a totally normal interview, though I was not at all surprised to not get the job. 10 years later...that has never happened again!

25. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 18, 2012

i too just read through all of this person's posts. this a joke. she posts things to get a reaction from complete strangers on the internet. its sad. i truly would be surprised if she was a teacher at all.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2012

Right, but if nothing else, she provides a good conversation starter. You know, in case a newbie wonders on here and wonders to them self if they should ever blow off an interview due to bad hair, or if they should wear tight clothes, or make kids do push ups, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc..... Now, thanks to this thread, a newbie who is wondering if they should ever joke about being beaten up if they don't get a job will now know that it's probably not a good idea.

Although, I gotta say seriously, that interviewing CAN be nerve wracking, but I've still managed to stay professional. I mean, I've had my moments where I couldn't remember that darn educational term.... or that specific book publishing company... darn my memory.

27. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jul 18, 2012

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: