Did you ask about benifits before you said yes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 19, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

I did not. Now I'm having "yes" regrets. We had our district meeting with insurance and the district only pays 51%. My old district paid 100%. Maybe not this year, because the premium is going up. But it's going to take a big bite out of my monthly check that I didn't foresee.

Now, I'm feeling very, very stupid...and a little resentful that they didn't offer any info, and I didn't ask...would it have been appropriate for me to ask? GRRRR...

:dizzy::confused::dizzy:

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 19, 2014

My district has all their info online, so I knew exactly what my salary and benefits would be before I interviewed.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 19, 2014

It's never wrong to ask about the details before hand - it makes you look very smart and savvy and it keeps them on their toes. When I went to a private school from public school, my benefits took a hit. However, compare that to no job or no benefits and then compare that to a job. Maybe you won't stay forever, who knows, but you have learned a valuable lesson, and I am not being sarcastic.:hugs:

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

Benefits, salary scales, etc. are all clearly stated on our district's compensation page and updated as Union negotiations change.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 19, 2014

In my private school, no union, and it was the very last thing they talked about.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 19, 2014

If it's not widely known I would ask before really saying yes. I did last year for a job I was supposed to get. No benefits or crappy ones would make me second guess the position.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

I assumed the OP was not teaching in a private school because she said district. Here, none of the private schools are part of any school districts.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2014

The only time I asked was when I accepted a position at a charter. In Michigan, it is listed on the website. It is close to the same at all the schools anyway. I'm not sure if my North Carolina district listed it back when I hired in, but they do now. I had insurance through my dad when I moved, so it was a non-issue.

10. AngelaNY

AngelaNY New Member

Aug 20, 2014

From my short experience I know that you have to fight for everything by yourself... Ask ask and even more questions are necessary to get full knowledge.

11. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

All of our benefits are provincially negotiated, so if I wanted to teach in the province, I was gonna get what I was gonna get. Our benefits aren't as good as in the last province I taught, but they aren't terrible, either.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 20, 2014

You won't be able to change the benefits - they aren't really negotiable, but you will be able to consider them in your answer, yes or no, when considering a job offer.

13. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

I've been in the same district for several years now and was so young when freshly hired I didn't pay as much attention to such things. Oh, the good old days! I didn't ask specifically when I was hired being, as already established, young and stupid, but I've heard our district won't discuss pay and benefits until after you accept the job. I've known three, in various roles in the system, who have told me specifically this was the case. (None in the past couple t

14. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Sorry--hit post too soon. None in the past couple years, so the procedure could have changed with the times.