Did not get the job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by riverfairy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. riverfairy

riverfairy Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Hi to all

I was passed over for a job this week because I could not coach basketball or soccer. Are administrators hiring on the basis of coaching abilities now?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2007

Districts that have a smaller budget try to combine positions to save money, that is just how things are nowdays...sorry. Keep trying

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, what wldywall said. :( Hang in there.

Where in NC are you looking? And for what subject area?

Do you have any interest in relocating? I think Las Vegas is still hiring! PM me if you want more info.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2007

Unfortunately for all of those looking for jobs, schools need to hire on the basis of their specific needs. If those needs include coaching (or running the Spanish club, or teaching computer skills, or teaching Phys Ed to their own class) they will hire a candidate with the necessary skills. As the others have said, sorry and hang in there.

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

I agree that schools have specific needs and that's the way it goes. I've been in this position and understand how you feel. I was at a school where I was 3/8 certified and the rest was a para. I was doing this while renewing my teaching certificate. Anyway, I had been doing this for two years and had gotten my certificate renewed, when it was decided at this school that they needed to split an elementary class into two classes for the next year. I was really excited about it because I was told that I probably would get this position even though it was just for one year. Then another teacher resigned and he had done a lot of coaching and had been acting AD. That changed it all and the school ended up hiring a man who was going to do all that as well as teaching this class. I was very upset because I felt that they put the coaching before the teaching! As it turned out, the teacher was an awful teacher! He didn't have any classroom management and the kids didn't learn anything! They didn't renew his contract and let the position drop. I even subbed in that classroom one time (I knew the kids too!) and it was terrible! So my advice is that this isn't the position for you. You will find one that is right for you!

7. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Sorry you didn't get the job. I was going to try to teach Health Education myself, but I either had to teach p.e. or coach a sport.

Hope you have a better week! That dream job may be right around the corner!:love:

Sheri

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2007

Sorry about the bad news. Keep plugging away, riverfairy.

9. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Hang in there. For every position that requires coaching there must be two or three that don't! I am sorry about the crummy luck though.

10. riverfairy

riverfairy Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks everyone

Hi to all

Thanks for all the support...I really appreciate it. I have another interview on Monday and spent most of the day pulling together a portfolio. I plan to go and "wow" the interviewer. This is actually an interview at the high school I graduated from. I wonder if that will make any difference?

Oh Cassie...I am in the Wilmington area and relocating is not an option. Thanks anyway.

Thanks again for the support!

11. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Good Luck! I think that they would enjoy having alumni teaching there! You can show the students that it was so great, that you're back!:2up:

Take care,

Sheri

12. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Best of luck to you on your interview. I know how hard it is trying to bounce back after learning you didn't get a job. I'm going through it right now myself, but keep trying. Your hard work will pay off!!!!!