Did not get the job

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Aug 11, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 11, 2005

I did not get the job I interviewed for last week.The pricipal said I would hear something by the end of the week. I know it's only Thursday but I couldn't stand the suspense anymore. So I called the school. She answered and I told her I'm sorry for calling but I just wanted to see if any decisions were made. She told me nothing was final yet because the superintendent still had to interview her recommendations and she was sorry to tell me that she chose candidates with experience. I only have 6mts of subbing experience. She really sounded very sorry and she wouldn't let me hand up until she told me that a few more positions in the district would be opening up and there would be a "pool" interview. I guess that's where several principals in the district are present to choose. Any way, I wonder why she even bothered giving me an interview, she can tell by resumes who has the most experience and all that hoopla. Anyway, I did not get the job. It wasn't a good school anyway. Now, I can really look forward to moving next year to a place that "needs" teachers.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

Katerina,
    I am sorry :(

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2005

K,
    I am disappointed for you. There is still time.

5. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 11, 2005

I am so sorry to hear that. I was really hoping you would get the job...your day will come! Keep your head up...

6. Godsgift

Godsgift Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

dont fret... Everything happens for a reason and is a stepping stone to prepare you for something GREATER!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 11, 2005

I am so sorry! I'm sure there is an even better job waiting out there for you!

8. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 11, 2005

I can honestly feel your disappointment and frustration. I'm really sorry, Katerina. By the way, where in Ohio are you located? I live in Springfield. The job situation really stinks here, doesn't it. Hang in there, Katerina, and know that we're here for you.

9. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Aug 11, 2005

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but I am sure the right one will come along (and it will be exactly what you have been wanting).

Keep your chin up!!!

10. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 11, 2005

I am in south east ohio.

11. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 11, 2005

It makes me mad to think I bought a new skirt suit for this interview. Everyone else was dressed very casual (the other teachers that sat in and the other interviewees). I am proud that I looked professional, but it seems that NOTHING else matters except level of experience. I don't know why I'm complaining, my motto is "everything happens for a reason". But I was really hoping to join all of you in the "real teacher" world.

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 11, 2005

You're complaining because you're human and you don't like getting rejected. Completely natural response. ;)

You are right, though - everything happens for a reason and you need to believe that you didn't get it because there is something so much better waiting for you out there! I feel your pain - I don't know what it takes to get noticed! :confused:

Don't despair! :love:

13. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 11, 2005

Thanks everyone. I will let you know when something great comes along. Hope I don't have TOO long to wait.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

Good luck, I am still x fingers and toes for you. Don't lose your confidence in yourself! That's the most important thing! I know nothing any of us could say right now will help that "kicked in the gut" feeling you are having. But, I think most of us here have been in that EXACT same place you are right now, and truly know how hard and devastating it is. Sometimes there just aren't the right words, but always know there are listening ears and understanding hearts! :love:

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

Katrina, It seems that most things take a fair amount of "time" in this world and there isn't much we can do to change that. However, you need to remain positive and motivated and things will work out... in "time." My son is going through the same thing...fresh out of college and looking for work...and finding the most experienced ones getting the jobs. Enjoy your days, one at a time and cherish every moment...nothing ever stays the same...you will see so many changes in your lifetime it will make your head spin. It's just a matter of TIME!

16. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 12, 2005

ok thanks for your support Grammy and Kinderkinds. This forum is so therapeutic ;)

17. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 12, 2005

I just got a call for the "interview pool". I think one position is for a "shared language arts" position. Would you guys do this? Wouldn't that mean students having 2 teachers with different rules and all that?
    My interview is next tuesday.

18. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 12, 2005

I don't know what a "shared" position would mean where you are, but go ahead and go on the interview. If you get the job, it would be a stepping stone to something else later on. If the principal's are looking at "experience", it's a good way to get some. Keep your head up high and continue to maintain your professionalism. The right things is out there for you. Keep sticking to your motto...everything DOES happen for a reason. Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you. :)

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2005

sorry I called you Katrina! That is my son's girlfriends name!

20. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 12, 2005

katerina03-

Sorry you did not get your first job. This job that you are going for an interview on Tuesday sounds interesting... I would be curious to know what a "shared" position means?

I would definately go to this interview. You have nothing to lose and you will get more experience in the interviewing process... I will keep my fingers crossed. I want to wish you good luck. Tell us how it goes. :angel:

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2005

Where I work, a shared position means you split the hours with someone. One person might work in the mornings and the other in the afternoons...or every other day...it can vary. I did this years ago and it was o.k. I worked the mornings(up until noon) and the other person came in for the afternoons. I liked the part time aspect, but have become greedy and work full time now.

22. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 12, 2005

yes, thats what I think this is for. Plus they are looking for a full time teacher/teachers as well. It is ok That you called me Katrina, others have done it too. I don't mind because that is really one of my cat's name.

23. Happy1

Happy1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

Hi, I am sorry you did not get the job. I was in the same boat in Maryland and suddenly, without notice, I was interviewed for a 5th grade position at a great elementary school located in Calvert County. That's right next to the Chesapeake Bay. I interviewed at 10:30 and received the call at 11:30.

The point of this message is to provide you continuing hope. I had been waiting the entire summer after not being selected for several positions and, as you say, things happen for a reason.

The right job is out there for you and the two of you will meet. I guarantee it.

Stay strong and keep smiling.

Happy1

24. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

:) katerina, i too share your pain! in the words of my mom "what God has for you it is for you!" this year because I have 2 years subbing experience at the alternative school and 4 months straight as a teacher's aid I got an interview and recommendation from the principal then the JOB came! So please keep your chin up and believe in God! The best job for you is on the way~Chava :angel:

25. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 12, 2005

Thanks for your support. It really helps a lot.

26. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 13, 2005

I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but it is probably for the best. The same type of thing happened to me. I interviewed for a position, and they said they would get back to me, it was 3 months & I didn't hear anything so I figured i didn't get it. I interviewed for a different job & they offered it to me as soon as I left (the superintendent called my cell phone 20 min after I left the interview!!) And I took it right away. The other school happened to call me the next day & offer me that job -- boy were they slow! I had to turn them down. And now I am so glad that I did, because I LOVE my school. Last year was such a WONDERFUL teaching experience. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. So it will happen for you!! Trust me!! Good Luck. I'm sending prayers your way.

[​IMG]

27. Happy1

Happy1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

Amanda,

It sounds that you really love where you are and what you are doing. What grade are you teaching? Where are you located in Indiana. I have friends in Valiparaiso. I think that is spelled correctly. I am located in Southern Md. and I am going to teach 5th grade

Nervous, but excited.

Happy 1 (Ed)

28. jengrabinski

jengrabinski Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

Sorry to hear it.

I subbed for 2.5 years until I got my job. I think it was the best experience & if I ever became a principal, I wouldn't hired anyone who hasn't had at least 2 years subbing experience.

29. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

jengrabinsk, i too got a job this year because i subbed 2 years in an alternative school setting! experience really does count and i too will hire based on experience when i become a principal...~chava :angel:

30. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

I too experienced a tough time getting my first teaching job! I did the aide thing for 3.1 yrs before I got a teaching job. I had to leave the area now I'm trying to get back to this area. You might try teachers-teachers.com and post your resume. Sometimes you have to move and get your experience. It's a funny thing about the interview. Reading all your post it sounds like if you get the job they call you back right away. The one in Va this happened to me. I find that I have a hard time reading the people in the interview. How can you tell if they are going to pick you? My interview when I got the job was over the phone. Are there little things you can do to put you over the top?

31. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 14, 2005

Good question. That's what I'd like to know. Soubds like the thing to put you over the top is "lots of experience".
    I understand that years of experience means a lot. BUt doesn't every new teacher get a mentor anyway? And it's not like I'm clueless. I think if any type of subbing really has beneficial experience it is the "long-term" type.

32. Happy1

Happy1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

Katerina03

In any field the success of an interview is dependent primarily upon the perspective of the interviewers and the rapport you develop with them. Having hired many professionals in the Federal Sector, I always hired the person or persons that best fit with my management and personality styles.

Remember, everyone goes into the interview as qualified based on the hiring criteria and therefore technical skills are generally not an issue, even considering the fact that some may need more grooming than others. The real issue is to make sure the interviewer can feel your enthusiasm, commitment, and desire to be a part of their winning team. Again, establish a rapport with the interviewers by making eye contact when answering questions, acknowledging their comments, watching for any positive affirmation such as nodding of the head or, in the case of more than one, eye contact between the two interviewers etc.
    Use these signals to tailor your answers.

Not everyone wants an experienced candidate. Often, a manager would like an employee to be molded in their system, so don't feel that your lack of experience is a deciding negative. It could be working in your favor. It doesn't hurt to stroke egos once in awhile, so make sure you research the interviewers (normally the principals and vice principals) on the school web page before you go.

33. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 14, 2005

Wow, thank you so much. I value that info :)

34. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

Kat,

Keep your chin up and go for the interview! I am not sure what they mean by a shared teacher, but it might turn out to be a good thing.

I team teach which means I have a block of kids for two periods and then switch with my partner for the other block. It works really well and we enjoy teaching with each other. (I teach language and social studies while she teachers math and science).

35. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Aug 15, 2005

Katerina03:
    Sorry you didn't get that position. I know how you feel. I am in the same boat. I even went back to tour the school and talked to some of the other staff members, saw the classrooms and lesson plans.... Then I even asked for a post interview to find out what I could improve on. The principal was kind enough to do this for me. I really needed the imput. Didn't make any difference, I still didn't get the job. It came down to the fact that the other person had 15 years of "solid" teaching experience versus my three years of subbing throughout a 30 mile radius from my home . Sheesh, I guess in their eyes variety isn't the spice of life!
    Well, Katerina, keep your chin up and know that if you really feel that you have a calling to teach, then don't let anyone discourage you!! Hope you get that position! keep us posted.

36. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 16, 2005

Thanks a lot. I will let you know how it goes.

37. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 17, 2005

katerina,

Where in Ohio did you say you live? My school, Trotwood Preparatory and Fitness Academy, is needing to hire another kindergarten teacher, first grade teacher, and third grade teacher. My principal asked me today if I knew of anyone who is still needing a teaching job. I immediately thought of you because I know you want to teach so badly. You can email me privately if you have some questions.

Good luck,
    Michelle

38. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 17, 2005

Thanks iteachm, but I am middle school certified and live in southeast ohio. I wish someone could help. It's wonderful for you to offer and I appreciate it so much. I had an interview yesterday and I will know anyday now if I got the job, I doubt that I will since they always want more experience than I have. But I know my day is coming.

39. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 17, 2005

I'm so sorry this one won't work for you. I wish you the best of luck and lots of hugs.

40. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 17, 2005

:) :thanks:

41. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 18, 2005

Just letting everyone know that I did not get the job again. But at least I didn't cry this time.