Did not get the job.......but what do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Jun 14, 2008

Hello all,

I did not get the first grade job:( We went on vacation shortly after the phone call---I really needed to get away!
    However, my triplet's school has always been my dream school for a job. I subbed there all year this year and networked as much as possible with the teachers. On Monday I called the principal and asked if I would or could qualify for a RESOURCE TEACHER job that is posted at this school. He told me to call the regional office of education to find out. I also asked his advice on cover letters/job search etc. It was a long nice conversation. I called him back on Wednesday to let him know what I found out -if I could be hired for this resource position. He was in a meeting and returned my call yesterday. I started babbling about how I am willing to get the spec. ed endorsement and would start on it this fall---and then restated my interest in the resource job. (I am elementary certified and figured this would be my way in the door-in which I could switch to a reg classroom in the future). He totally disregarded that conversation and went on to say that a fourth grade job has just become open. He told me to call him back in 7 days at the same time because he was letting all of his teachers know to see if anyone wanted to switch to fourth grade. He stated that even if someone switched, it would leave another position open. This is a K-8 school.
    The bottom line is I am unsure if he would have me interview for it or was telling me I could possibly have the job. He has hired two teachers I know of in the past without interviews. One was a student teacher there and one was a sub. I also know he has done some group interviews in hiring. He already has my resume and cover letter from last year and does not want another one at this time. Should I start getting ready for an interview again? I have subbed for two of the fourth grade teachers and everyone knows me from subbing there this year. I will post another message about what he said to me about subbing-very interesting. I will be calling him next Friday to find out if anyone wants it-which he said is highly unlikely but can not be sure until he posts it within. I am unsure what to think about the whole thing.

3. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 14, 2008

Great NEWS!!!:woot::whistle: Yes, oh yes, I most definitely would say that this principal is Interested in your abilities as a teacher!!! If he knows your work, and he has a previous history of hiring without interviews, oh heck he DID interview you, just on the phone!! Must of liked your enthusiasm!! Way to go! I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Yes, be ready to knock him over with an interview! See if you can get anyone else in that school/ district to call him and give you a verbal recommendation!!!
    What did he say about your subbing??
    Really looking forward to hearing about your call next friday!! best of luck!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2008

sounds like a bird in the hand to me. He knows he has an opening in 4th grade..so he did not want to talk about anything else. He is literally going to ask everyone else if they want it, so that tells you that is all he is thinking about now.

I say, get your portfolio ready, review new trends, and any history on school, and be ready for an interview. He may have you talk to supt, or grade level team teacher. You never know.

good luck!

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 14, 2008

It sounds encouraging! I would still prepare for an interview, just in case.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 14, 2008

Here's a possibility - he has to internally post the job for so many days before the posting is released to public. Since it seems he has already interviewed a pool of candidates for the 1st grade position you did not get and the 4th grade new position opened up fairly soon after these interviews, he might be able to just hire someone from the 1st grade pool. Does that make sense? It sounds very promising :) fingers crossed until you let us know :)

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2008

It sounds like you have a great chance at that job! Good luck!

8. tripletsteacher

Jun 14, 2008

Sorry I did not clarify, but this is a different school then the one I interviewed at for the first grade job. This principal is actually on my husband's fantasy football league and my kid's principal. This school NEVER has openings. He knows I want a job there because, I gave him my packet last year and have been subbing there all year this year. I have asked him three times at least in the past two years about a job. He even told me why the fourth grade job is open and that he did not think anyone would want to move to it. I just can't figure out why he wants me to call him in 7 days at exactly 11:00 a.m.
    1. He is going to ask me to interview for it
    2. Since he knows me somewhat, he will offer the job (wishful thinking)
    3. He is going to tell me that he is posting it and to apply for it.

Well, I guess I will find out next Friday. I am so nervous talking to him-even for the first few minutes on the phone and then I eventually calm down. My heart starts beating like crazy and I get actual physical anxiety symptoms. I have to learn how to calm down and relax. I did ask if he needed a new cover letter and resume when inquring about the resource job. I told him I had attended some workshops since the last resume. I specifically mentioned the workshop because I know he loves this lady -Pat Pavelka. His response was... I love her. He said I did not need a new cover letter/resume. Ugggggghhhhh-if I could only read minds!

9. tripletsteacher

Jun 14, 2008

I freeze in teacm interviews. I just get terrified. In my life, I interviewed for 4 teaching jobs. Three of the interviews were team interviews. I do not do well in the team interviews. The interview right before the triplets were born was a one on one, and I was offered that first grade job. I had to decline one week later due to my surprise pregnancy with the triplets. I am terrible in group interviews but do well in one on one. Why is that? I have a feeling this will be another team interview if he asks me for one. I have met or subbed for all of these fourth grade teachers but only know them from the teachers lounge by sight or breif hellos.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2008

good luck!!

11. tripletsteacher

Jun 15, 2008

Oh-you are so good and funny Master Pre-K. Actually, a third grade job opened because a teacher retired. He said Mrs.So and So in 4th grade it going to take the 3rd grade which leaves the 4th grade open. I have subbed for the 3rd graders and none of them could be the class from hell. I beleive the principal is actually in charge of hiring but am unsure. I did approach the Superintendent this year in the hallway and inquired about any openings next year. Funny thing is I am actually more comfortable with asking the Super than the principal. He did not give me a straightforward answer and mumbled something about being in the process of reviewing the numbers etc. I did not know it was law to interview at least 2 other people. Thanks for sharing that. Another thing is that last year, there was a second grade opening here. The job was never ever posted but was given to a teacher from another district in our area. Do they have to post by law or not?

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 15, 2008

I don't know where you live, tripletsteacher, but in California jobs have to be posted to the public. If you are hired for a newly created position that was never posted, then it will have to be posted for the next school year. Meaning that if someone with more seniority wants it, you will be bumped and will have to take a different position! So if your state has similar laws, then having the job posted to the public before you are hired is a good thing!

13. tripletsteacher

Jun 15, 2008

I live in Illinois. I know for a fact that the second grade job last year was not posted at all. The teacher who got it worked for 12 years in another local district. It was never posted this year, last year, or ever. I am unsure how to find out what the laws are here on that. I also know the Kindergarten teacher who was a student teacher at this school was given the job over the phone on speaker phone at that. She never interviewed. However, I know others at this school who were interviewed and with a group/team. I will find out what it all means on Friday when I call him back regarding this position. I am sure I will probably have to interview for it -if he wants me to interview. I am absolutley fine with that. thanks for all your input/support!

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 15, 2008

The job might have to be posted internally before they can consider anyone from the outside. That's what happens in my district it is posted for seven days for current employees, and they don't find someone in that pool, they can interview outside of it.

15. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jun 16, 2008

Definitely sounds like a door is opening for you! Good luck and I hope everything turns out with you getting a job! ;) Keep us posted! :)

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2008

Sorry for the confusion

What does posted mean to you?? In our district, posted means the secretary at central office sends to each school in our district a flyer with the advertised position and requirements and that school secretary "posts" it on a public bullentin board in the school office. They also "post" the flyer in the central office. This is considered "posting" in my district. Not all jobs get "posted" on the district website, and sometimes the district will only "post" on local colleges job pages.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2008

Hey! We are neighbors!!! All Chicago and suburban school districts are run by Chicago Teachers Union and suburban AFT-NEA union. Therefore, all positions must be posted, according to union bylaws. Internal and external candidates must be give opporutnity to apply, and then turned down so administration can hand pick their friends! :|

18. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 17, 2008

The burbs are not in the CTU- The CTU is for Chicago only and they are so busy fighting themselves at the moment that they are in no shape to help the members. Glad they take over 800 dollars of my salary a year.

I no for a fact not all vacancies are posted on the bulletin here. But I wonder if the job fair counts as a posting?

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for clarifying my message turtle... Chicago has CTU. The suburbs have AFT-NEA.

Do you know if you have to live in the city to be a sub for CPS? I subbed only once, but I don't remember if I had the residency requirement.

20. tripletsteacher

Jun 19, 2008

Hello, posted here means offically put on the school or district website. He already told me to call him in 7 days because he had to give the internal teachers a chance to decide on moving or not. He did not think it was likely anyone would want to move to 4th grade. My question is whether or not it legally has to be posted to outside candidates? I am calling him back tomorrow at the time he told me to. I will know then what is going on. I am guess these things:

an interview
    nothing
    job offer
    apply for the job
    What is CTU? Since we are neighbors, that must mean it does have to be posted outside of internal candidates right?
    Do they have to interview a certain number of people also?

21. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

Legally it has to be posted. It does not have to be posted on the website. It could be posted at district office and/or the builiding. But, generally speaking, in the age of online posting, that's where the postings will be seen.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2008

CTU = Chicago Teachers Union

suburbs have American Federation of Teachers(local chapter) - National Education Association

Most places require that a job is posted if no 'viable' internal candidates apply after x amount of days. I think they need at least 2, but don't quote me on that. Most teachers get job by process of elimination. Nobody knows it's posted. Unless, you check district's website, or physically go over there to district/school office, you would never see job postings. (some are only posted in teacher's lounge :confused:) Usually, only internal candidates are checking for jobs that they want, which is why it must be posted, according to union rules as well. Posted does not mean published, like in the Chicago Trib, Southtown/Star or online with Career Builder.

23. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 20, 2008

Yay!!!

Hey MPK, you posted this like a week ago but I just wanted to let you know that I'm crossing my fingers for you. :2up:

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2008

thank you!!!