Did I Ruin My Chances?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Novus, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Novus

Novus Rookie

Jun 22, 2013

Hello everyone! I’m a new poster, but a long-time lurker. I am in an interesting position and would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

I’ve been subbing at a school district for about 3-4 years now. I love this district: the students are great, the teachers are helpful, and I have gotten comfortable there (in the sense that I no longer feel like an outsider.) In March, a long-term sub position in my field opened up and I applied. I made it through both rounds of interviews and ended up coming in second to a woman who had not previously worked in the district. I was, however, offered a position as a Building Sub.

Wind the clocks ahead a few months, and a probationary position is available. I made it through the first round and had my second interview on Wednesday of last week. I made sure I pulled out all of the stops and was as prepared as possible; I brought the book I am currently reading, both a hard copy and digital copies (on flash drive) of my teacher portfolio, and went over as many questions as possible. At the end of the interview (which lasted about half an hour) I completed a writing sample (e-mail to a parent) and felt that went well also. The teacher who beat me out in March interviewed after me and was done before I had finished my writing sample.

The only (possible) red flag that came up in the interview was the panel asking how I believed I would make the transition from substitute teacher to full-time teacher. I explained that I would set rules and boundaries in place starting day one to make this process easier. Then, they hinted about the students being familiar with me, so I was very open and honest with them about it.

I was given a nickname a few years back (Superman. As in “We have Superman as a sub today!) I have never viewed it as a distraction or detrimental in any way and I embraced it since it never bothered me and it helped me build a rapport with the students. I made sure I told the panel that this and that, if they believed it would be a distraction/detrimental in any way, I would be amenable to ending it (almost all of the students call me by my surname now anyway.) It took me aback that they were concerned about it, though, and it made me a bit nervous.

Directly after the interview, I felt confident. Now, it has been a couple of days since then, I have heard nothing back, and they didn’t give me a definitive time frame about when they would make their decision. I am also concerned because they may choose to go with the woman who is currently the long-term sub, even though I believe I am more qualified (I saw her resume online. While she has some coaching experience under her belt, I have a publication, athletic awards, GPAs for undergrad and grad school are about half a point higher, I have more experience in the district, etc)

The only thing that worries me is that they asked about how the students perceive/would perceive me as a regular teacher. Initially, I felt extremely confident, but as I have waited, I am beginning to worry.

Do you think the nickname caused them to rule me out? If so, why did they interview me in the first place? Did they ask just to see how I would handle the question and how I would respond? As an employee who works regularly in the building, do you think they will at least call me and let me know one way or the other as a courtesy?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2013

I think it's understandable that they're expressing a bit of concern. Sometimes as a sub you must create a persona of sorts to survive and that doesn't always translate successfully to a full time position. But I also think it' very possible to start fresh. :)

My only question is why having a athletic award means much of anything to a panel searching for a teacher? Unless maybe it was a special athletic award focusing on character or something, or you're going for a PE position...

4. Novus

Novus Rookie

Jun 22, 2013

I always include it on my resume since I believe it shows leadership, hard-work, and dedication.

Also, since I won them while playing a sport, working part-time (20-24 hours a week), and keeping my GPA around a 3.8, it speaks to my time management skills as well.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 22, 2013

The nickname does seem a little odd to me but not red flag warning strange. What would concern me more is that the permanent sub also interviewed. You may on paper have better qualifications but if the other person is the "right" fit that will often win out. If they haven't contacted you by Wednesday, then you might want to give them a call just following up.

6. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 23, 2013

If you don't get the job they likely had somebody else in mind for it. Don't beat yourself over it.