Did I pass the Rica?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by TeacherLA, Jun 30, 2011.

1. TeacherLA

TeacherLA New Member

Jun 30, 2011

I took the Rica in April and found out in May I had failed it by one point! I worked really hard studying for that course before I failed it. I worked even harder studying the second time I took it which was earlier this month. I find out this upcoming tuesday whether I passed it or not. The problem is I felt I did really well on the case study and the comprehension but I did not do well I believe on the short answer related to vocab, which would be letter B, and answered correctly for fluency which was A but ran out of time explaining it. My wife said that she had a friend that did not even attempt A and still passed! I know short answer A and B are both the lowest weighted answers. I feel I did better on the second test than the first, which would make me feel and think that I earned at least one more point than the first time around. I guess to make a long question short, can you still pass the Rica if you did not do too well on A and B? Please only positive resonses no negative people please.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 30, 2011

Passing is 220 on a scale from 100 to 300. In other words, there are 200 scaled points available and you need 120 of them. It follows that, if one does well enough on other parts of the test, it's possible to pass without doing well on one particular component.

Whether you passed, I can't say without knowing more, but certainly it's not impossible.

4. TeacherLA

TeacherLA New Member

Jun 30, 2011

$$$$

It just seems that if a person is borderline passing the first time, they fail them. Honestly what's the difference between one person receiving a 220 and passing and feeling great, and one person receiving 219 and failing and feeling miserable? I honestly feel that they are trained to keep a good man down if he is borderline and then if he's borderline again passing him. Why? Because of $$$$$$ Who's with me? P.S Don't be so naive also, you don't think the RICA test is a corporation?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2011

You have my sympathy - but wherever the line's drawn, someone's going to be miserable.

The case study accounts for 40% of constructed-response points - which, since half the points on the test are constructed response, means the case study accounts for 20% of points overall. A good showing there is bound to be helpful.

6. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011

I feel your pain I really do. The Rica was the hardest test I took. I thought the CSet was easier. But to be honest with you 220 is the passing score not 218 or 219. You have to stick to something as the score and that is the score they chose. Good luck. I also don't think they are trying to keep a good teacher down. They are just sticking to their rules. Most likely when you are that close they have a third reader involved. I say you have a good chance passing it this time.

7. TeacherLA

TeacherLA New Member

Jul 8, 2011

I just don't get it!

I found out the other day that I did not pass the Rica and this was the second time taking it. The first time I took it in April I scored 219 and this past score was 204. I just don't understand how that is possible, I felt I actually had done better this past time. Something that doesn't add up is the fact that on my first rica score sheet it gave an example of why I did not pass in saying that I did not go into depth on the rationale. But this past rica score sheet does not give any explanation.
    Here is the scoring from the first test 219 as follows

Domain 1 Planning orgainizing assessment etc. +++
    2 Word analysis ++
    3 Fluency ++
    4 Vocabulary ++
    5 Comprehension ++

Case Study ++
    reasoning: need improvement in the area of explaining how the strategies and or activities promote reading fluency.

Here is the scoring of the second and most recent test 204

1 Planning +++
    2 Word Analysis +
    3 Fluency +++
    4 Vocab ++
    5 Comprehension +++

Case study +++
    no reasoning or needs improvement explanation on second test sheet

I just don't understand how I could actually score more pluses two of the domains and score one more plus on my case study and score lower than the first test?! This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm possibly thinking that maybe they had to fail me on the second test because they have reversed my score of 219 from the first test to 220 passing and cannot have me passing two tests, because I filled out the score verification from the first test as well as had my university prof. that taught a rica prep course write a note saying I worked hard and did well in her course. I am awaiting the score verification from the challenge from the first test, it should be coming this week. What do you guys think?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2011

Hugs, TeacherLA.

The reason you didn't get a needs-improvement explanation on your most recent score report is that you improved your performance on the case study. The explanation refers solely to the case study, not to the rest of the test.

A score of 219 with performance indices of ++ in four domains and the case study probably means that you came fairly close to getting +++ in at least a couple of those domains and/or the case study. In other words, it might not have taken very much improvement to push your scores in those domains from ++ to +++. (Congratulations on that, by the way.)

The domain in which your score dropped to + on the most recent test date, however, is domain 2: Word Analysis, and that is the single most important domain on the test. Word Analysis, between multiple choice and constructed response, is weighted slightly more heavily than is the case study. If your earlier score was a high ++, then the drop to + could indeed account for the difference in your numerical scores.

I very much doubt that the previous request for score verification had any bearing on your current score.

9. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011

Also if it is like the CSet. They actually have easier test, but grade harder and have harder test but have a easier grading system. At least that is what I read one time.

10. aiming_success

aiming_success Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

Hi, TeacherLA.

I tend to agree that the word analysis essay is more heavily weighted for grading and that was what brought your overall grade down.

However, I think the tester should provide more explanation for such inconsistent results.

11. aiming_success

aiming_success Rookie

Jul 12, 2011

Hi, TeacherLA,

I am with you ! There is something with this test. I just received notification that I failed to pass for the second time. The explanation was like yours, inconsistent and unusable. I have never failed to pass a test in my life and hold several significant master degrees. I also attained an A+ in my reading comprehension course leading up to the RICA. At first I thought there was something wrong in my approach to my answers and spent considerable time trying to correct this but to no avail. I feel that the test has the rater bias for test-takers to contend with.
    The multiple choice questions are okay since success here is dependent solely on my ability to study the key books on the RICA domains and answering correctly. The case study test results for me were somewhat consistent even though the explanation for not getting a higher score were limited and useless for improving myself.

The essay questions are a different matter. My test results were inconsistent as evidenced by the +'s scored. No explanations. Therefore, I conclude that the test-takers are at risk of not answering the question to the liking of raters, that is, the rating process can become biased. So, for my next test I am studying as many essay questions as possible and seeking a "buddy" test-taker to work together by reviewing each others answers. This may not get better results but it is worth trying.

It is unfortunate that teaching professionals have to be subjected to this farcical testing in order to get a credential.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2011

aiming_success, I'm with you in wishing that the diagnostics were more specific.

About how many words do you think you wrote for your responses in fluency and vocabulary? Did you introduce and conclude each, and did you write in full sentences?

13. Jsasss

Jsasss Rookie

Dec 14, 2016

Was your verification approved?!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 15, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, Jsasss. You've replied to a thread that had last been posted in five and a half years ago, so it's possible that you won't get an answer from TeacherLA after all this time.

15. Angie13

Angie13 Rookie

Mar 7, 2018

I got a 219 today.. I'm wondering if I should submit for a rescore.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 8, 2018

If you have reason to believe that the score you got is inaccurate - like the guy some years ago whose constructed response scores were all "U-B" (that is, left blank and so not scored) when he knew he'd written on each question - then rescoring may make sense. If not, however, it generally doesn't do much good.

17. Angie13

Angie13 Rookie

Mar 8, 2018

I got +++
    ±+
    ++
    ++
    +++

Case study ++

I saw someone else get ++
    +++
    ++
    ++
    ++

Cs ++ and they passed.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 8, 2018

Plus marks run from + to ++++, so it seems probable that + equates to 25% or fewer raw points earned and ++ to 25% to 50%. If one test taker's ++ scores are near 50% and another's are near 25%, the first test taker could easily have earned twice as many raw points as the other.

There's also the matter of the distribution. To see what's going on, let me supply the domain labels for your plus marks:

Planning/organizing/managing instruction: other person ++, you ++
    Word analysis: other person +++, you ++
    Fluency: other person ++, you ++
    Vocabulary, academic language, background knowledge: other person ++, you ++
    Comprehension: other person ++, you ++

Word analysis is worth 33% of available points, more than any other domain. That's the domain in which the other person got one plus mark more than you did, and that one plus mark could easily make all the difference in the scores.

Tell me what you think word analysis consists of. (You should be able to list and define four major components. Hint: to analyze something is to break it up into smaller chunks. What kinds of chunks can words be broken up into?)

19. coolteacher

coolteacher Rookie

Apr 18, 2019

Hi guys,

I do realize this is an old thread, but same thing has happened to me so it’s good to read that I’m not alone but I’m feeling so sh*tty about this all! I compared my scores to two other friends and I did way better on the domains that were worth more. I feel like there has to be a mistake. I do know that TeacherGroupie thinks it’s an absolute waste of time but I do want to get verified as well. All that raw scores bull doesn’t make any sense to me.

My score of 218:
    D1: ++
    D2: +++
    D3: ++
    D4: +++
    D5: +++
    Case: ++

My friend who passed:

D1: ++
    D2: ++
    D3: +++
    D4: ++
    D5: +++
    Case: ++

Makes NO sense. I got higher scores on the domains with higher percentages! They literally just want money and I’m convinced at this point they fail us on purpose to make us pay again. I’m literally hardly making it by on this low salary and now I have to come up with another $171. I love my job but I regret choosing to be a teacher. All this crap isn’t worth it.

Mamabygrace likes this.
  20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 18, 2019

Official test scores are scaled scores. It’s very difficult to write test questions that are identical in terms of difficulty and so scores are scaled to reflect that difference. It seems that a lower threshold was needed to pass on your friend’s test due to the collective average being lower on that specific test date. It could very well be the case that test takers did better comparatively on your test date and so the curve was not as generous. That’s the only way I can figure that your seemingly higher score did worse overall.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  21. coolteacher

coolteacher Rookie

Apr 18, 2019

Okay so excuse my reaction, but how the hell is that fair?! So I did well but not as well as other people that day. So my friends did worse but there were worse people that day so they passed?! WOW.

22. coolteacher

coolteacher Rookie

Apr 18, 2019

Did you ever get a verification? I'm seriously considering it as well.

23. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 18, 2019

It’s not necessarily true that you did better, it’s more likely that your set of questions were determined to be easier than your friend’s and so your curve wasn’t as good. That’s how standardized tests work.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2019

futuremathsprof has mentioned one possibility, yes. Teacher subject-matter tests generally contain a mix of questions that even the minimally qualified applicant is expected to be able to answer correctly and questions that are more challenging (and this is one of several reasons that the passing score on the scale from 100 to 300 isn't higher than 220).

Another possibility has to do with the plus-mark bands. Pearson distinguishes +, ++, +++, ++++: it's plausible that those refer to quartiles of raw points earned, so that + would represent 25% or fewer of available points earned, ++ would represent 26% to 50%, and so on. Now the case study is scored by two scorers on a raw scale from 0 to 4, so the total possible raw score is 8. If test taker A gets 3 raw points and test taker B gets 4 raw points, both will see ++ on their score reports - but the case study counts for 25% of RICA, and therefore 50 of the 200 available scaled points, and thus test taker A is looking at 13 to 14 of those scaled points while test taker B will enjoy 25. That's a difference of 11 to 12 scaled points. Conversely, if domain 2 20 of the roughly 23 multiple-choice questions in domain 2 are scoring questions, the highest ++ score is 10 and the lowest +++ score is 11, and the impact of a one-point raw difference on the total scaled score is much smaller.

futuremathsprof likes this.