Did I mess up?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Exclaimation Po, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 10, 2006

I'm a career changer. I just graduated in May with my teaching certificate. The monday after graduation I went to an interview and was offered the job in the middle of the interview. I didn't take the job because it was my first interview and I wanted to see what became available in other school districts (there are 11 in my area).

Three weeks later the principal called to offer me another job. She told me to think about it and call her back in a couple of days. I was ready to take the job when I got 2 interviews later that week. I emailed the principal to tell her that I had an interview closer to home and would get back to her. I didn't get one of the jobs, and never heard back about the other (which is the closest school to my house).

So, as the summer slips away, I'm wondering if I should have just taken that job. Should I call that principal back and see if she still has any positions available? Fewer and fewer jobs are being posted in my area and at this point I just want a job.

3. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

I am sorry to say that you have messed up....swallow your pride and call the principal. Good luck

4. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jul 10, 2006

Ouch! :sorry: That's something that I would do. It is hard out there finding a job (trust me I know!) especially as it gets closer to school starting.

I'd have to agree that you should suck it up and call the principal. Hopefully the principal didn't hold it against you that you kept turning her down. If she was interested in you enough to call twice she still might be interested.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that there is still availability and that it works out for you.

By the way.. was there something particular about the school that you didn't like? Or was it just that you didn't want to take the first offer and risk missing out on a better offer? Just curious. :)

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 10, 2006

I'd stop by the school in person, with my resume in hand and ask to talk to the principal.

6. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 10, 2006

Kris8806, yes there was something that turned me off the school. Actually there were several things. First, the principal had only been there 5 months when I interviewed. The school is really old and not very well kept up. Also, I know someone who works in the district and the school has a poor reputation. I also heard that 12-15 teachers were leaving. But I do think the principal has good energy and good ideas on how to get the faculty engaged.

7. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jul 10, 2006

I've had various friends with similar experiences so don't feel bad about it. If you can overlook the dislikes about the school, go for it. Call the principal and keep us updated! :love: :love: :love:

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

Doesn't sound promising, to be sure... but multiple subject jobs in Southern California are NOT easy to come by. It's time for a little groveling in person, I think.

9. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 10, 2006

Ok. I called the school. Summer school is in session and none of the regular administration is there. They won't return until August.

*sigh*

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006

Well...if you really want to work at the school, I would send a letter to the principal expressing your interest then he/she will see it upon return. But, if you're offered it for the 3rd time, you should take it otherwise forget about working there-ever. Keep us posted. In the meantime, maybe you could continue to be agressive at other districts/schools.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2006

E-mail the school/principal. She may be checking messages -- I know I am :) (I hate surprises).

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 10, 2006

Proud2B - I already did email the principal. Hopefully she'll read it!

Mable - I'm going to do that. Thanks!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

If the principal responds, offer to take her to coffee or maybe even lunch. She may not take you up on it, but the offer sends a message.

There's nothing quite like having An Opportunity To Learn From (ow!) One's Mistakes, is there?

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2006

Good luck, Exclamation Po! Ask the secretary what she just can't live without...