Did I do the right thing???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher36, Jul 25, 2011.

  1. teacher36

    teacher36 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    330
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    Quick background: I teach in a private school (going into my 2nd year there)...pay is awful, no benefits....but it is full time. Just got a call from my dream school asking me if I am interested in a leave replacement til Nov. (I subbed there for a couple of years before my current job) I turned it down (politely of course explaining that I have a full year position and was told I would be considered if anything more permanent comes up). I can't stop second guessing myself now. I LOVE this school but it is a def 3 month only gig and then I would have to sub. If I took it, it would mean losing about $25-30,000 for the year. My DH doesn't understand why I am so sad right now but he just doesn't get that this is my DREAM SCHOOL. I know we can't do it financially but I truly hope it doesn't shut the door for me. I'm excited that I was contacted without having even applied (didn't even know about the position) but hope me turning it down doesn;t hurt any future chances. So my question is...would you turn down a 3month job in your dream school for a guaranteed full year job??? UGHHHH convince me I am not a fool PLEEEEASSEEE
     
  2.  
  3. Proud2BATeacher

    Proud2BATeacher Phenom

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2005
    Messages:
    4,896
    Likes Received:
    5

    Jul 25, 2011

    I would have turned it down too -- 3 months is too short of a time to quit a full-time job...unless you could live off of your husband's paycheck for a year. I would also send a thank you car and a updated resume and cover letter to the principal though.
     
  4. MissJill

    MissJill Cohort

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    Messages:
    733
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 25, 2011

    Is it a large school? Would there be other opportunities for another leave replacement?

    You did the right thing in my opinion, but I would keep looking for a job in your dream school. Maybe something will come along in the future. It's good to keep working at the private school because it will definitely get you the experience most jobs are looking for.
     
  5. Geauxtee

    Geauxtee Comrade

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Messages:
    266
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    What is so special about this dream school? Even if this position is at your dream school, it is ONLY 3 months! What are you going to do for the other 6 months? A full time job will look better on your resume than 3 month LTS stint.
     
  6. Peachyness

    Peachyness Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    Messages:
    6,181
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 25, 2011

    I also would have turned it down. It's just too scary right now to take chances like that. I LOVE Proud's suggestion of sending a thank you card. This lets them know that while you did turn them down, that you appreciated their thought. Might help in the future when an actual full time job does open up.
     
  7. MzQualified

    MzQualified Comrade

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    263
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    I think you definitely did the right thing. After the 3 months, then what?????

    Do what Proud suggested and send a thank you and an updated resume. Also, just keep in contact with them.
     
  8. teacher36

    teacher36 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    330
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    Thanks everyone. I did type up a thank you letter and will put that in the mail this afternoon. I will also drop off a resume packet with the principal. I know it makes sense to turn it down but you know that little flutter of doubt that creeps up every now and then?? That's what I am dealing with. It's my dream school for so many reasons!! Their philosophy mimics mine, they have strong PD opportunities, strong parental support, great salary and benefits, admin backs their teachers, short commute, I know all of the teachers and have worked well with them in the past.. I just have always envisioned myself teaching here. :unsure:
     
  9. teacher36

    teacher36 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    330
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    Another question...the thank you note...should it be a hand written card, or a typed letter?...Should I mail it or e-mail it??? Thanks!
     
  10. teacher36

    teacher36 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    330
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    It is not that large a school. Of course there is the possibility that someone turns up pregnant or this teacher decides to stay out a little longer than Nov. but those chances are slim.
     
  11. Rainbowbird

    Rainbowbird Groupie

    Joined:
    May 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1,359
    Likes Received:
    22

    Jul 25, 2011

    If you cannot afford it, then you did the right thing.

    Hopefully they'll keep you in mind for anything else that comes up!
     
  12. elateacher4life

    elateacher4life Cohort

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Messages:
    687
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    You did the right thing. A sure job is better than a short-term stint that may lead to more.
     
  13. teacherintexas

    teacherintexas Maven

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    5,285
    Likes Received:
    754

    Jul 25, 2011

    I would definitely hold on to a full time job over a three month job, even before the economy tanked. It's natural to second guess yourself but I think you did the right thing.
     
  14. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 25, 2011

    You gave your word to teach at your "old" school this year, and you kept your word.

    It's what I would have done, what I know my husband would have done, and what I'm hoping my children would have done.
     
  15. Proud2BATeacher

    Proud2BATeacher Phenom

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2005
    Messages:
    4,896
    Likes Received:
    5

    Jul 25, 2011

    Hmmm...I might e-mail one and then give a hand-written card when you bring in your updated resume.
     
  16. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,959
    Likes Received:
    2,116

    Jul 25, 2011

    Losing out on $25 K is major. You did the right thing. Send them a note thanking them for considering you and reiterate that you would love to be considered for any future full time openings.:)
     
  17. teacher36

    teacher36 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    330
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    Thanks everyone. I do feel better about my decision and Alice, you are right about keeping the commitment. Although I have to say if it was a permanent job, I would resign from my current position. Never during the school year, but in the middle of the summer, I would give my notice. No matter what the job, I don't think I would have it in me to leave my kids after the school year started (or without enough time for the admin to find another person).

    Anyway, I e-mailed a thank you letter to the P and am writing a hand written note to send in with my packet. Thanks for making me feel better and for the advice!!
     
  18. SCTeachInTX

    SCTeachInTX Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,972
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 25, 2011

    You did what you felt was right. That is that. Hopefully, they will call you if a full time position opens up.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 279 (members: 1, guests: 241, robots: 37)
test