Did I do anything wrong?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Feb 13, 2009.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

We had an early release day today. One of my students was sick on Thursday so she didn't get the reminder slip in her agenda that goes home daily. However, the agenda has the county schedule in the front. A schedule of early release days was also sent home at the beginning of the year. We could leave right after the buses left today. I had to stay though until this student's mother came. The mom acted a little irritated that she "didn't know" about it being an early release day. I apologized saying that she didn't get the reminder slip since she was absent Thursday. Did I do anything wrong? Should I have personally called her and reminded her that it was early release day since the student was absent?

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

It seems to me you are perfectly in the right here. Although the child was not present on Thursday, the schedule for these days was made publicly available.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 13, 2009

I don't think you did anything wrong. The mother had already been given the information about the early release days. The mother needs to be more responsible and organized - and not blame her mistakes on you.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 13, 2009

I don't think you did anything wrong. Parents are expected to use the schedule given at the beginning of the school year.

6. repete8

repete8 Companion

Feb 13, 2009

I don't think you did anything wrong either.

7. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

Why was it your responsibility to stay with the child? It should have been the administrator's responsibility. You should only be responsible for your students from the time school starts until dismissal. If something occurred after dismissal it would have been on your shoulders. Example - What if someone came to pick up the child and it was not a family member and you were unable to locate the mother or father? What would you have done, especially if there was no administrator in the building? In my district all students who are not picked up are in the office until phone calls can be made or a parent shows up.

8. teachall

teachall Rookie

Feb 13, 2009

I also don't think you did anything wrong. Do you send home a newsletter? I try to include major dates to remember up to 3 weeks in advance. This help some of the less organized parents. And me too!;)

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 13, 2009

Don't worry, she was just angry for not knowing. Remember, do you own the problem, or does she? In this instance, I believe, like most posters, that the problem was hers to own. Let it go.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 13, 2009

We had early release today and I didn't send a reminder home. They receive a list of dates in the beginning of the year, it's on the school's website, and they receive a weekly school newsletter that lists important dates. I'm sure your district/school has similar publications, so I don't think you did anything wrong!

11. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

I don't think you did anything wrong either. Do you personally remind people when there are other days off? I would guess not. Some parents just do not read notices that are sent home. There is nothing you can do to change that. Of course, these same parents are going to be the ones who blame you when something goes wrong. Go figure!

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

No I don't think you did anything wrong either. I had an early release yesterday as well. It is in the calendar that everyone gets in the beginning of the year, the schools sends home reminders about it, my kids new about, etc. and still the P was saying that day that some parents were still confused about it..??? This was our 3 out of 4 early dismissals - what's the confusion? The students leave earlier and go home earlier.

Seriously, you did nothing wrong - that parent needs to be a parent and get on the ball about things like this.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

I think I would of left her in the office and told them the situation and the P and then if the P said it was ok I would have left. I don't understand how she ended up staying in your room I would have sent her to carpool and then the carpool duty teacher would have sent her to the office to call home.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

I don't think you did anything wrong at all. When we have an early release day our school sends out two reminders. Unless it is an unscheduled early release I assume all the kids know about it from the handbook, parish calendar, and what we write in the planner. They have ample opportunity to know. I also have a school calendar on my website and I sent a second one home, myself, and asked them to post it somewhere for them to see daily, like on the fridge. I'm sorry that your early release was spent having to deal with her.
    We had an early release day for a teacher inservice 2 weeks ago. We sent home 2 notes and I reminded my kids daily (4th grade) about it. I had one who said her mom "forgot". When she was late picking up her child the office watched her until mom got there. I asked if they needed me to stay with her and they said, "No, that's our job."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2009

In my school, the main office would have handled this sitution. I work the 'traffic/bus duty' everyday. We make calls to families whose children haven't been picked up by 3:30 (we get out at 3:10)..mostly it's a miscommunication about who was picking up, playdate, something like that. Parents do occasionally forget about 1/2 day dismissals- the traffic duty teachers call to inform parents if kids havent been picked up and usually the emergency contact person can come get, or the parent arranges something quickly. At that point, the principal will usually stay with any child who needs to wait more than 10 minutes.

16. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 14, 2009

I didn't take her to my room. I waited in the front lobby with her. The principal was there and said I could leave, but I decided I'd stay with her. I didn't mind staying. I just was upset that the mom seemed irritated with me when she came. I expected an "I'm so sorry!" or something from her, but she seemed liked she was blaming me for not informing her. Also, my principal was also in the lobby when she came. So I didn't like that she was blaming me for something that wasn't even my fault in front of my principal.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2009

Did your principal say anything? I think sometimes parents feel guilty and would rather just lay the blame for things on teachers instead of themselves.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

I'm sure your principal understood that you weren't in the wrong. Hopefully your next early release day goes better!

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 14, 2009

There is the alternative - next time there is an early release, call her 10 times at awkward hours :lol::lol:

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 14, 2009

If the district has early release day and everyone knows that, parents should know when they are. It is up to them not you. The note went home and it is listed on the agenda.