Did I create extra work for the teacher when I said teacher would grade worksheets???

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, May 16, 2011.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 16, 2011

I was subbing as a 6th grade math teacher and the kids were very chatty and wild. To keep them quiet, I consulted the teacher next door. She said I could tell the students the worksheets would be graded and be part of the 4th marking quarter. This helped somewhat and the students calmed down and worked ok (I still had to put 3 horrible kids in the other teacher's class).

Did I create extra work for the regular teacher? What happens to such worksheets used by the sub? Do teachers really mark them?

Thanks so much,
    thesub

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 16, 2011

When I taught full time, I would sometimes come back to work and find out that the sub gave extra work. To be honest, I would scan over the work just to make sure that they did what they were supposed to do (and those that looked like they were off tasked were spoken to about why their work wasn't completed), but I never graded them or used them for a grade. Mainly, because the assignment that was left wasn't part of my plan, or part of our curriculum, or for whatever reason. I was never annoyed, though. I know that sometimes a sub has to do what they have to do. :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2011

The teacher next door gave you bad advice. You told a lie about what would affect the kids' grades. Not a good idea. You may not have created extra work for the teacher, but you may have caused yourself a problem. :sorry:

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 16, 2011

Or maybe the teacher next door explained the situation when her teammate returned the next day and the regular teacher followed through.

If I were subbing and asked an established teacher for some helpful advice, I would not consider the advice to be a lie when I told it to the kids.

As far as we know, the regular teacher did follow through once she learned WHY the kids were told it would be a grade.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2011

Big picture: you kept the kids focused on schoolwork. Uou asked another teacher for advice and followed it. The kids did the assignment, and probably put more thought into it than they might have otherwise.

I think you did the right thing. If it were my classroom, I would indeed grade the worksheets and count them as at least a quiz or homework grade.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 17, 2011

I would also take the worksheets for a grade. For what's it's worth, I think you did the right thing.

When I have a sub, I usually try leave work for my students that should take the entire class period and is due the next day. I always leave in my sub notes the leeway for my sub to change the due date to the end of the class period for any student or the entire class if necessary if they aren't focused and working.

8. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

May 17, 2011

When I was subbing-I ALWAYS graded everything before I left. I think that is what the teacher expected. Therefore, it was no extra work for the teacher. just for me.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 17, 2011

I think you did the right thing also. Did you leave a note stating that the other teacher advised you to do this?
    When i left work for a sub I always noted for the sub to tell the class it would be graded. It seemed to keep them at task and the sub had an easier day.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 17, 2011

I hope it worked out well for the OP. I have certainly given subs In neighboring classrooms activities to fill time. I've also offered help with classroom mgt to subs who are being taken advantage of. I would never advise how papers will be counted by the classroom teacher. I wouldn't suggest leaving something for the teacher to grade...that's just my preference...:2cents:

11. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

May 27, 2011

I often give kids extra work if things run short. I just tell them I'm leaving the work for the teacher, regardless of completion. If they've been on task, their teacher can see what they've done. If not, the teacher will be able to tell, even if they don't take it for a grade.

It's problematic for teachers to leave busywork for which the students have no accountability. Even if it's not necessarily a grade, the students should know they're expected to work and complete whatever tasks the sub gives them. If they know they're doing something the teacher is just going to toss, they have little incentive to actually do it.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 27, 2011

I always leave work that I plan to grade, so it would be no big deal if the sub left something for me to grade.

On another note: my subs sometimes grade papers in my room. I usually leave a nice note asking them not to. I want to grade what my kids complete because this is my assessment of whether they are understanding.