Did I already sink a teaching career?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mckbearcat48, Apr 11, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 11, 2016

Many of you probably have seen this exact story before, but I am feeling pretty low about the world of education right now.

I graduated in December with a Masters' in Education, and student taught last spring. After failing to come up with anything in the job market, I took on substitute teaching jobs...picking up a maternity leave job in January and a homebound instruction position as well. I am certified in English and Social Studies and have a JD as well as the MA (formerly practiced law). I also coach high school baseball as a volunteer (2nd year). Did my accepting of a substitute position sink me in terms of getting a full-time job? Academically, I received very strong reviews and letters of recommendation as well as academic honors...but none of that has helped me. I did go on a couple interviews only to find out that they hired someone with local ties to the district that was hiring.

Thanks for the read.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 11, 2016

No, you aren't sunk. Can you afford to be a substitute teacher for a while? That may make a huge difference in your future employment. I will caution you that you might not land a teaching position where you sub because they prefer to keep their pool as-is, but you never know. At the very least, I received some wonderful references from principals who couldn't hire me, good enough that I was hired.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2016

I don't think having subbing experience would in any way "sink" your career -- if anything, I think it would put you above someone with no experience at all. Do you have good references from those positions? I would talk up your experience in interviews with specific examples of how you showed strong teaching skills in your subbing positions and how they would apply to a new position.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2016

From what I've seen, being a substitute has never hurt anyone's prospects for landing a full-time position, unless they were bad at being a sub.

6. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 11, 2016

I have letters of recommendation from the teacher I did the long-term for as well as several from teachers I have filled in for. I make sure to leave a sub note as well as a short email to every teacher I sub for so they have a couple records of the day.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2016

mck- your subbing gives you experience and builds your resume. You aren't sunk by any means. Now is the time that districts begin to look at their staffing needs for next year. Send your resume package out to EVERY public, private, charter school/district within a reasonable commute distance. Good luck to you.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    bella84 and Linguist92021 like this.
  8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 11, 2016

In fact, in my district, you wouldn't get a job without subbing experience.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 11, 2016

My maternity sub has already been hired for a full-time position for next year at my school.

10. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 11, 2016

I guess it takes time to figure out that I didn't waste a year as a substitute. Thanks for all the good advice/opinions on the topic.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2016

In some places it can be very difficult to get a first teaching job even with exemplary credentials and recommendations. Where are you at and are you willing to relocate?

12. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Apr 11, 2016

MCK - I'm in the same boat you are in. Patience is not my strong suit.

13. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 11, 2016

Yep, that is part of my problem too. I figured I blew student teaching when I didn't walk out with an offer, so I figured I would be subbing this year.

14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 11, 2016

St. Louis area and very willing to relocate.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2016

If you're interested in moving to the Las Vegas area, I know that CCSD is in desperate need of qualified teachers.

16. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 11, 2016

Working as a substitute teacher didn't hinder your chances of obtaining a full-time teaching position. In fact, I think that subbing will actually help you in the future because you will have gained classroom experience in addition to student teaching.

It should tell you something that the applicants who were chosen over you had connections to the district you applied to. Some workplaces are mostly political in that those who usually get hired or promoted already had connections there.

Maybe some of the other posters haven't had this experience, but I have known administrators who won't hire candidates who are smarter or more accomplished than themselves. Yes, some are this bitter. I think that this is sad because we all know that smart candidates with people skills would be an asset to the school.

I have to disagree that your strong evaluations and honors haven't helped you in any way. If the administrators intends to hire candidates based on their merits and not on their connections, then you should be their top or one of their top choices.

mckbearcat48 and Linguist92021 like this.
  17. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 11, 2016

Thank you for the well-worded reply. It's a really frustrating situation as many of you know.

18. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 11, 2016

Just because you didn't get a job offer immediately after student teaching doesn't mean that you blew your student teaching assignment. I know of some student teachers who did excellent jobs in their teaching assignments and yet didn't get a teaching job right away either. They eventually were hired at a school that they really liked and you can do the same.

19. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 13, 2016

Being a sub gets you into a school system, where people can see you work. It's easier for a good sub to get a full-time contract than some kid fresh out of college.

Network. Bust your ass. Make yourself indispensable.

20. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 13, 2016

I have made some contacts...just picked up a maternity job for the last month of school today. When I first missed out on a full time position, I thought subbing would be a "scarlet letter" against me going forward. I get several requests per day to substitute, including the district I really want to work at full time.

I will have 2 LT sub jobs, a homebound, and volunteer baseball coaching on my resume for this hiring season. Thanks for all the good advice!

21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 19, 2016

I'm from the STL area too... Try applying at a charter school in the city. It's not where you want to stay long term, without a doubt, but it's a good way to get experience and then move into a district in one of the nearby counties. You are right about it being difficult to get a job in the counties in STL. There are just too many teachers looking for the "good" jobs, and there are not enough "good" jobs to go around. Subbing definitely did not hurt you. It's just that there are more applicants than positions, and you have no experience. I'm currently looking for a new job in STL with six years of experience... and I still don't have anything lined up yet. That said, part of the problem is that, while many districts are conducting screening interviews, a lot simply haven't posted actual positions yet. Others are going with teachers who are internal, have connections, or are simply more experienced. Keep applying... This month and next will be big! And, really, consider putting up with a charter school for a couple years, if you can deal with it. As an alternate, consider working as a para or interventionist for a couple years if you can afford it. It's another way to get your foot in the door at some of the better districts in the area. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  22. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 20, 2016

I'm on the Illinois side, but you definitely have the market here pegged. I did pick up a summer school assignment at the school I coach at (also did LT sub job there), so I figured I have checked off more and more boxes. I remember in my 510 class the professor used to say "If you don't do this right, you'll end up as a sub if you're lucky". He was a former administrator who had NO love for substitute teachers at all.