Did I accept the job offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cafekarma, Aug 4, 2014.

1. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

Hi, everyone. Here is my (possible) dilemma. I have been applying to several districts neighboring the city where I would like to relocate. One school where I've interviewed is 40 miles away from the city. Today I decided that if I'm not offered a job within 20 miles of the city, I will try moving to another city with higher pay and more vacancies, such as Las Vegas. I still feel like I have a good shot at gaining a position within the city, too. I'm waiting to hear back from recent interviews.

Last Wednesday the principal of the school with the 40 mile commute told me that he would be recommending me to the board and began collecting references, etc. I was under the impression that he would need to do this before formally offering me the position. Today I recieved a call from the school asking when I could come in to complete my pre-employment paperwork. I've never worked in a public school before, so much of this process is foreign to me. So my question is this: When the principal told me that he would be submitting my information to human resources, did I accept the job offer? Any help would be appreciated.

3. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

It sounds like you did. What did you say when he said he'd be recommending you? That sounds like you were hired! So I guess now you have to decide if you'd like to keep it or tell him something else came up...

4. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

I said thank you. At that point he still hadn't spoken with my references. He didn't even tell me which position he was offering me. I feel guilty declining the offer now, but I thought the offer would sound a bit more like a yes or no question.

5. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

Okay, I went back and read out emails. I did not say anything about him turning my paperwork in to HR. I only provided him with contact information. I still feel guilty. I hate this whole job search process.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

Does all this mean you don't want the job? I'm confused, but some days are like that. One of Murphy's Laws states (or should state) that the job most likely to be offered is the one with the longest commute, and the corollary to that would be and probably be your least favorite district. Which only goes to show that you probably shouldn't interview in districts that you aren't interested in. However, any time I have interviewed in a district like that, the specter of remaining unemployed and penniless always made me see them in a much more favorable light! It would be nice to be finished looking for this year, leaving you enough time to settle and enjoy getting ready. Just a thought.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

Is there a reason you cannot take that job other than the commute?

8. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

Thank you for the replies. When I first interviewed there, I was feeling more desperate and just wanted a job. Any job. Since then I've done the math and realized that a 31,000ish salary (it's in NC) plus a 40 mile commute up the highway will leave me completely broke. This is one reason I've had a change of heart. So, the low salary added to the long commute are the main reasons I want to decline.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

Do you have other offers on the table?

10. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

No. I'm still getting interviews including one tomorrow. I have a principal who has let me know that he suspects that a teacher will not be returning next year, and he would offer me her position. This position is in the city and would be closer and would have a higher salary. Obviously I can't bank on being offered one of these positions, but I hate the idea of accepting a job that I don't want with the intentions of trying to change jobs again next year. I feel like if I accept a job then I should be willing to commit to it for more than a year.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2014

You really provide a logical argument why taking this job would NOT be a good decision. I like what you said about moving closer to an area with openings. Sounds much better than a 40 mile drive to work and having to live check to check...ugh

12. paperbyrd

paperbyrd Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

In public schools if you are recommended for hire then yes, that's a job offer. When you said, "thank you", I'm sure he took that as acceptance. I was also offered the one job with the longest commute and I replied with a request to sleep on it. I had other interviews and other principals that had made me feel like the job was mine, much like what you said. After an hour of cooking it over in my head I realized that as a first year I'm a beggar and not a chooser. I took the job and found out that all of the schools that made me feel so good about my chances had already hired. On the other hand, I adore the school and the principal and the commute won't leave me broke. Do you feel that the school is a good fit for you? Is the commute the only problem? If relocation is something you're considering anyway could you just move closer and stick it out for a year, and try again next year? This is a tough decision and I wish you luck. :) I would just tread very carefully because the last thing you want is to get black listed anywhere for handling the situation in delicately. If you are going to turn it down you should explain your misunderstanding to him in person and quick. If he thinks he has filled his position and then you drop this on him at the last minute, leaving him in a jam, he's less likely to take it well. Tell him before his second choice takes a job as well.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

If you didn't go in to sign anything then request a few more days and see if you get any more offers. If you KNOW you do not want this job then let them know ASAP.

14. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

Paperbyrd, thank you for sharing your story. I read over our correspondences and realized that I never said "thank you". The commute is the biggest issue, and that isn't because of the time spent driving so much as the dent it would put in my paycheck. My salary will probably be around 31,000. What are your thoughts on trying again next year? Is it really okay to take a job now when I plan on trying to leave it so soon? Would that look bad on my resume in the future? I've read stories on this forum about other people who have done this, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad of an idea as I fear it would be.

TeacherNY, I was finally called last night and given a more formal offer. I asked for time, so I have today to think it over.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2014

A year's experience is huge, and no, you will not be penalized looking for a new job after one year. So common! Any way to move closer to the new job to cut down on commute? I was just thinking that if you are a new teacher, perhaps new out of school, that you have some flexibility about where you hang your hat. Just a suggestion.

16. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

Lynettstoy, thank you for the helpfulness and encouragement. I actually have 5 years of experience under my belt excluding the year I taught without a license. Since earning my degree, I've had two different jobs. In both of these jobs, I was given a promotion shortly after signing an original contract as a TA. I'll be 37 years old soon and would like to be able to have children in the near future, which is why I decided that it would be better to search in a different city than to take such a bad offer just because it's the offer on the table. The reason I'm searching for a new job now is because I was teaching out of the country for a few years, btw.

Moving closer to the community would help with the commute, but the community is rural. I would be beyond miserable. And lonely. It's not worth it. Okay, I think I know what I'm going to do.

17. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Aug 5, 2014

If the salary and the commute are the biggest obstacles, are there any redeeming qualities in taking this position? A year or more of experience is a huge redeeming quality. How difficult are jobs to come by in your area?

18. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

Jobs aren't as hard to come by in the area where I've been searching as it is pretty much everywhere else in the country. That is why I have been narrowing my focus in this area. I did accept a much more desirable job offer (shorter commute, higher pay, and the list goes on) a few hours ago, I and let the other principal know that I was declining the offer. My dilemma has been solved. :)

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2014

I commuted 50 miles (one way) my first year in NC. In traffic :eek: In a Chevy Trailblazer :eek: :dizzy: :eek: As in 14 miles to the gallon!! :eek: Even with the expense, it will pay more than subbing!!

I commuted 90 miles one way last year. :eek: I left that job for a 5 mile commute ;) And I will probably be looking again next year since I recently found out that they have 3 elementary teachers laid off right now. (No one was certified math/social studies. Which means I have job security, but I really prefer younger grades. And with 3 people laid off, I will be stuck in 6th for a long time.)