Did emailing principals get you an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Mrs_Garland

Mrs_Garland Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

YES!... Two interview this morning because of e-mails I sent yesterday.

2. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

I got a call from a principal today! And I've got an interview set up for tomorrow! Never would have happened if I hadn't sent the emails, since I've never applied with this district.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

YAY!!

(And why didn't you apply??? If there are any other stones you've left unturned, apply electronically right after tomorrow's interview, OK???)

4. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

You can only get an application for this district from their office-- crazy with today's technology! So no internet applications or anything! And, it's about 35 minutes from here, and I was just never down there during the summer!

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 17, 2011

No! I e-mailed all the Ps in my area. My rez must be radioactive. The sad thing is they have people teaching who have no outside professional experience in radio production and journalism.

6. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 17, 2011

There's a good chance I will be hired because of this thread..

Oh Aliceacc - you're a saving grace - a gift! I was very desperate to find a permanent job despite being an intern - sent tons of applications. But, when I was checking this forum last Friday, it gave me an idea to email a principal, and I did (a long email, in fact).

No reply came, so I made a short follow up email this morning. And, indeed, a reply came just awhile ago saying that I should have contacted him earlier because he just hired four(4) math teachers (four math teachers?). But, he wanted to sit down with me just in case one of those hires don't work out. Now, a teacher from that same school just called and said that I may get the job since she is resigning.

I did a brief student teaching in this low-performing school last summer, and I made a multiple intelligence survey on some of their students. I met the principal then, and I told him that I wanted to show him the results of the survey and to help his students learn math the right way. I am also highly recommended by one of his former favorite teachers. In short, I need all your prayers - I'm a single dad. Thanks in advance.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

Fingers and toes crossed, Galois!!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 17, 2011

For my two jobs, I actually used a private school company to send my information to. I'm not sure how many candidates they sent to the two schools, but I'm assuming not as many as if they had opened up the position (one school actually did post it on their site but I'm not sure how many people saw it).

So while I did not get a job offer through the initial e-mail, I do believe that with following up after they got my information did really help. Especially for my second job-- it allowed me to have a chance to keep proving to the principal that I'm the right choice so that she wouldn't think about opening the position up publicly (she said she was going to, but then admitted she "never got around to it" she just knew I was the one :)).

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2011

I noticed in the past year or so that many job postings specificially says to not contact the school. :( How sad, but I suppose it's due to the high volume of applicants.

I have emailed and called the ones I was very interested in. :( Sadly, there are just TOO many applicants in this area where I recently moved to. It's known to be impossible to get a job, unless you have connections and have worked as this type of tutor for this particular program (which is where they draw their teachers from, but just getting hired to tutor in this program is difficult!).

And yet, I still apply. Not giving up. I applied to two more openings, as PE aides, this morning. Cross my fingers. I may call tomorrow. :)

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 17, 2011

I hope it will work for me next year, it didn't work for me this year. I have yet to have a principal from this district respond to my emails be it application follow up, interview follow up/thank you, or link to my site/resume/cover letter.

11. philateach

philateach Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

This is a GREAT point, let everyone and anyone who'll listen know that you're looking. My husband spread the word at his work and I got a few contacts that way.

Also, prior to my student teaching, I had to conduct some in-class observations. I emailed all of the teachers that I worked with and found out one was just elected the head of her department!

I've been amazed at the kindness of people as a result of 'putting myself out there!'

12. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I have emailed and gotten responses but not an interview, BUT I'll keep emailing and applying.

And get the word out to everyone that you're looking for a teaching job! I had a teacher at church give me tips Sunday to make sure I can sub everyday if I don't get a job. While talking she started naming principals and I realized I have an aunt that is related to 3 of 7 of them! Not saying that would get me a job but maybe at least an interview or consistant sub work.

13. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I sent 8 emails to a school updating them about my situation (I was in the process of applying for a credential) and letting them know I was still interested in the position if it was still available. Three months after applying for the job, I was called in for an interview and offered the job that same day. Good thing I did that, too, because it was the only interview I was able to get this school year!

14. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 18, 2011

I dropped off my packet of information the day the posting was put on the website and e-mail the principal letting him know of my interest and I knew they would need to make a decision quickly since school starts next week. I never heard anything back and called today just to inquire about the vacancy and it has been filled.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

They probably knew who they wanted before they posted the opening.

Keep in mind, we're not the only ones emailing resumes.

16. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Aug 20, 2011

Emailing is a MUST

My friend and I were both looking for jobs in two different states. From the advice we got on here, we decided to email principals from the jobs we applied to and also schools we were interested in working. By doing this I was asked to interview for two positions and was offered both! My friend also set up many interviews and was offered a position! If we had not taken the time to do so we would not have found jobs. It is worth emailing the principals even once school gets going - you never know who will be looking for long term subs or will need to have positions filled!

17. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Aug 20, 2011

School has started here already. I got one interview for a teacher's assistant position by emailing the principal. It was last week, and I didn't get the job. I walked my resume into another school the same day I had the teacher's assistant interview and was shocked that they had an opening for a teacher. I got an interview right there on the spot for this coming up Thursday.

18. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

I have an interview tomorrow morning with a P as a result of e-mailing.

In the beginning of the summer I had e-mailed around 45-50 principals in my area with my resume in case they had any openings. She e-mailed back to say that while she didn't have anything at the moment, she would keep it on file & send a copy over to the HR department. Last weekend I saw the district had an immediate opening, so I e-mailed her to ask if she knew what building the position was in, and also if the district accepts paper resumes or should I just complete the online application. She e-mailed me back to say her secretary would call to set up an interview time since the opening happens to be in her building.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Good luck, LMichele!

20. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

Thank you! I'm really glad I e-mailed...if I hadn't then all the district would have had from me was my online application, which I'm sure is one of 1,000+. If not for anything, it will be a good interview experience :)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Knock 'em dead, LMichelle!!

22. AMyers626

AMyers626 Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

Aliceacc, I just emailed 46 principals in one district. I will let you know if i get any responses!

23. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

Thanks Alice!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

Fingers crossed for you, AMeyers.

LMichele, what time is your interview?

25. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

10:00. After that I'm going to the school where I am the perm. sub. for lunch with the secretaries. Instead of thinking about it that way and knowing I have my building sub job to fall back on this year, I'm going into the interview thinking that I'm going to my school after to find out that I don't have that fall back option. I think this will give me the "push" I need to really sell myself on the interview. I got very comfortable at my sub job for the past 2 years, which I know has hurt my job hunt.

26. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

Ok, I'm stumped as to how to make my emails stand out. I figured I'd go with short, since they would hopefully be more likely to read it but I can't think of anything special to grab their attention. This is what I have so far:

Hello Principal:

As the new school year is quickly approaching, I would like to express my interest in any possible openings at ABC School. I am certified in students with disabilities Birth through Grade 9, in addition to Childhood Education and Literacy. My resume and teaching brochure are attached for your review.

I am a dedicated, caring and versatile educator who would be an asset to your educational program. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to speaking with you further.

Sincerely,

Jlyn07

I also was looking on school websites last night and found a couple of positions that were posted. *crossing my fingers*

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

I'm not sure that your letter really grabs me.

Can you tell me about one tiny little professional victory? One word or phrase that will make me smile? Some thing along the lines of "everything I need to know I learned in JLynn's class?"

28. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011

I mailed my "packet", emailed my resume and cover letter, and then called to tell him it was all coming. I also explained that I was impressed with the school (NCLB Blue Ribbon Winner) and would love the opportunity to work with and learn from the teachers there. I think it really helps to show that you know about the school. I should also mention I made several (3-5)follow up phone calls. It worked for me!

29. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

Last year, as a TA, I developed a reading program for one of my seventh graders who was reading at a first grade level. I would work with him one on one for part of the class doing sight words, vowel and letter sounds. So I could say something about this but I can't think of any other great examples that would be shorter.

Alice, thanks for your advice!

30. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Alice I have to thank you for this thread again!

I decided this morning to e-mail my resume to two local charter schools. I had done this a few months ago but figured I'd try it again. I e-mailed them at 9:30 & have an interview at 12! I had met with this school 2 years ago via a job fair at my school, and the woman I spoke with on the phone said my resume was very familiar to her and my credentials are outstanding and they'd love to meet with me as soon as possible. The P I'm meeting with is also the interim superintendent.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

That's great!

I thought of you when I saw Newsday today, with a list of Charter school on LI.

But someone called "MOM" and I forgot to PM you.

32. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Thanks for thinking of me! I saw that article as well and that's when I decided to send off my resumes via e-mail. Their enrollment numbers keep going up and I figured there had to be something.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

THAT'S the sort of resourcefulness that will pay off!!

Good luck later!

34. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Thanks again, Alice! It was a very quick interview, about 10 minutes or so. The two administrators whom I met with were on their lunch break from new teacher orientation, and with the interview set up so last minute they did not have much time. Also, their internet was down and they could not open their e-mail to access my resume from the HR department. Luckily I had more than enough paper copies, so the first few minutes of the interview were spent with them reviewing my resume. Being such a short interview, it was hard to gauge whether or not it went well. They asked the standard questions..tell us about yourself, classroom management, parent contact, what would we see in your classroom, and technology. I could tell they liked much of what I had to say. But as you always say, I am not the only person interviewing for the job and someone phenomenal could've walked in after me.

I sent off 3 e-mail thank yous as soon as I came home to the 2 admins I met with and the HR woman who set up the interview. I'm hoping their e-mail is restored and they get them quickly! Haha I left them with a link to my portfolio in the e-mail as I did not have time to show them my binder during the interview.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Sounds promising.

36. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I hope so. I got such a good feeling the minute I walked into the building, and I felt like I would be proud to work there. They hire a lot of teacher from my college, and the HR woman I had interviewed with 2 years ago remembered our interview, so I took that as a good sign. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, though. It's tough waiting to hear back, but a little easier knowing their phones and e-mails were down today, haha

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Yeah, cell phone useage has been pretty spotty.

Did they give you any sort of a timeline??

And did your thank you note mention that you would be proud to work there???

38. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Not just their cell phones, but landlines and internet for the school were out when I was in at 12 due to work going on in the building. They were expecting it to be out all day.

They mentioned at the end that they would be moving very quickly. They said they still had some interviews that HR scheduled for the week, but that they hoped to move forward with it this week. New teacher orientation was yesterday and today, and tomorrow starts staff development until next Friday.

I did mentioned in my notes that I would be proud to work there. I wrote something different to each of the 3 women I e-mailed, but I made sure to mention that in all of them. I also mentioned how I feel inspired by their mission and goals and the history behind the school. I also said that upon walking in the building I could instantly tell, even at this point in the summer, that students and their learning were of the most importance to the school, and that I had envisioned my classroom to reflect that belief as well.

I could tell they liked my technology and classroom management answer, and they were impressed by the grant I had won for my previous school. They asked what they would see if they walked into my room and I said lots of cooperative learning groups, small group instruction, and during whole class instruction I would model, then guide the students in doing it on their own, and then walk about the room as they work independently. The AP asked if I used centers and I said not previously as a sub, but I do appreciate the model and definitely see it in my future classroom. She asked if I have contact with parents (not how do I contact them, which threw me), but I mentioned I maintained very close relationships with the PTA as a sub and worked with them on schoolwide events for my student Council. They asked at the end if I was returning to my perm. sub. position and I said I've been in contact with my P and that they don't have to recommend me for the position until mid September, so it's an option if there's nothing else. I said I'd love to go back for the great experience, but I'm also ready to move on.

They were both very nice. The AP was young and I think new to an admin position, so I could tell she was a bit nervous.

39. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Fingers crossed for you!

40. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

When do schools usually ask for references? They didn't as this morning's interview, which I didn't think anything of since they said HR would contact the person they select and that's usually when I've been asked for references.

I'm freaking out a little because I e-mailed them link to my online portfolio, and it is on my resume as well. When I went to update my references on the page, I couldn't remember my username and password and am currently locked out of the website and cannot make any changes.

Would they have to ask me for references (if they want them), or could they just go off of my portfolio, even if I didn't specifically mention my references were on there? This is, of course, assuming that they will even be looking at my portfolio. It's not as bad as I originally though, since of the 5 that I have up 2 are from my permanent substitute job where I've been for 2 years. The other 3 from student teaching are what I wanted to get rid of.