Did emailing principals get you an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

I've just read another post that said it did, and want to make the point tht it helps.

If you got an interview from emailing a principal, could you please weigh in here?

3. Lmb5713

Lmb5713 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Yes. In fact, it got me two interviews. I was told by one P I interviewed with that, with 500+ applicants for the position, the fact that I e-mailed and put myself out there made me stand out from the rest of the candidates. Since the two positions I interviewed for opened just days after I sent that e-mail, I felt that it kept my name and information fresh in the minds of the administrators.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

5 years ago it got me 2 interviews and 2 offers, then I stopped taking the calls. Neither opening had been posted yet when I got the offers.

5. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Aug 11, 2011

That is how I got all of my interviews from out of state schools. I sent out 150+ emails and I got 6 interviews and one job offer.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

I emailed every high school principal in the three nearest public districts to me. I live in an urban area, and that amounted to about 25 schools. I received an email on Tuesday evening about a biology position one school hadn't been able to fill. I spoke with the department head yesterday morning, interviewed yesterday afternoon, and got a phone call offering me the job at around 6pm last night.

School starts on Monday, so they were definitely in panic mode, though they had passed on several candidates already. I won't be able to start on Monday, but should be in the classroom by Wednesday.

Thank you Aliceacc, for encouraging us to send those emails. It was more aggressive than I was really comfortable with, but it paid off. Several Ps responded politely to my email, and I didn't get any negative responses at all. It is very tough out there. Good luck to all still looking!

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

Yes! It is how I got my interview that has led to the job offer that I will most likely accept this afternoon (depending on how my interview this morning goes).

8. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

Yes, it led to my current position five years ago. I also received 3 interviews this summer, due to my emails.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2011

Overall, I'm sure it helps. But for me trying to get this one (non-teaching) position in particular, I emailed the 2 highest directors possible & neither of them replied at all.

10. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

I normally email principals directly unless it specifically says not to do that. And yes, I've gotten a lot of interviews by doing that.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

Yes!

Usually, emails to principals are ignored around here, but this district tells you to email principals. But, I did send emails to 4 a d only heard from one.

What I've seen happen a few times is that the principal will forward your email to HR and then HR will contact you. This usually takes so long that the position has been filled, so I suspect in these districts, it is best to email HR and put the pressure on them.

Some principals are under instructions to either delete or not respond to candidate emails.

Certainly, unless they specifically tell you not to contact the principals, there is not reason not to do it.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

There's no guarantee that it will get one particular position, merely the hope that it will bring your resume to the attention of the person making the choices.

Ms I, I think you need to widen your job search beyond this one job.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 11, 2011

I didn't get my job through e-mailing a P. The application or this job specifically said not to call or e-mail (as most of the ones I filled out did). If the application did not say anything warning against it, I did e-mail the P of the school, but it never worked out. Out of all the e-mails I sent, one replied and said he'd already filled the position but told me to not give up/keep applying elsewhere. It was a nice gesture. No one else replied at all. I think I had 6-7 interviews (where I followed the instructions and did not e-mail/call) before the interview that landed me the job in July of last year. I was offered two positions from interviews before that, but both P's had been totally dishonest about what type of job it was when posting it and I was not interested or highly qualified for either, so I turned them down. They were both listed as mild/moderate special ed, but it turned out both positions were self-contained severe emotional disturbance classrooms!

14. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

This summer it has gotten me interviews for the only positions the principals who e-mailed backed ad-teaching assistants. As I said in another post, it would not have helped me maintain my teaching certification so I had to decline the interviews. I called the school & explained, and also e-mailed the principals to explain and thank them.

I e-mailed all of the principals from the 50 closest Catholic schools to me. Many have been out for the summer and return this week, so I have my fingers crossed.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

Keep in mind, a few may be at World Youth Day in Madrid. I know mine is.

ETA-- Oh, and today is the Feast of the Assumption. (Though, being on a Monday, it's not a Holy Day of Obligation this year.) Schools may or may not be closed, I'm not sure.

16. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

Yes I did!! Matter of fact that's how I got all my interviews. Actually I had just emailed district office to subtly remind them I was looking for a job and then the next opening they had they called me and then I ended up getting that job!!

So YES!!!! Do email!!:D

17. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

Yes, emailing does work!!!!!! I have 3 interviews lined up this week all from emailing Ps. One school website I went to and couldn't find the P's email address, so I emailed my resume and CL to the "info" address. You know the school information email address. Just so happened that the P is in charge of responding to the info requests and he emailed me back within 10 mins to set up an interview for a last min. position!!!

18. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

I had previously e-mailed a few public school principals earlier in the summer. A handful responded with they'll keep my resume on file. I saw yesterday an immediate opening in a large district, and realized one of the principals I had contacted, and who wrote a nice reply back, is in this district. I e-mailed her again asking if she had any info on the position such as what school it's in and if they accept paper resumes, and she e-mailed back to say her secretary will call me today regarding the position.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

YAY!

20. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

I also snuck in the fact that both my parents went to this district throughout their entire education. Of course it was 30+ years ago, but still! Haha

21. KateA

KateA Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

What exactly do you write to the principals? Do you tell them you applied online or just introduce yourself?

22. HOW

HOW Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I was told by HR not to email principals; did anyway; heard back from some within minutes offering an interview.....

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I just read your other post, saying you had gotten the job...Congrats!!

24. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

I introduce myself by putting my CL as the body of the email, then attach my resume...

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

I got the interview AND the job!!!!!

I always keep emails short. I basically said "Hello Principal (looking up correct title), I am certified in blah blah and interested in blah blah. One line about my education/experience/why i teach my subject and say I am attaching resume and link to portfolio. Thank you, my name

I think people are more inclined to read short emails, especially when busy. This advice is probably bad for positions attacking hundreds of responses (i.e. not high school math and science).

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

YAY Molly!!

27. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

Just scheduled an interview for Monday that I got from e-mailing the principal.

28. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

With all of these success stories I'm thinking it couldn't hurt. Off to e-mail some principals now :)

29. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

Exactly what I'm going to do! Just wish I had read this a few weeks ago.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Do it right now!

Order pizza for dinner, put everything else on hold.

Email every single principal within an hour's drive.

Good luck!!!

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

I emailed a lot of principals and superintendents. I usually ended up getting an interview. The last one I got the job!

32. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I've emailed all of the elementary and middle school principals in 3 districts! I haven't heard anything back yet, but I've got a few hits on my portfolio page!

And, I discovered that one of the principals sends her kids to the preschool I work at, and another principal goes to my church (I knew she worked in the district, but didn't know she was the principal!)

I'll let you know if I hear anything!

33. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

I love that! You spend so much time on it, you just want someone to look at it!

Good Luck!

34. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

This is fun! I've found out one of my elementary gifted teachers is now a principal, too!

35. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

I just sent out over 50 e-mails to principals this afternoon after reading this. So far I have had a handful of responses...some telling me to apply through the district office, one saying they're done hiring, and even some from private schools that are still on vacation! There were very nice principals responding overall. Cross those fingers that I'll get more hits in the morning!!

36. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011

Yes it did. I emailed my principal and was in the process of emailing two others from the same school district. Before I had finished the 3 email, he was calling me on my cell.

37. TeachAstro

TeachAstro Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

So do you all mean emailing principals without specifically responding to any kind of job posting? I had wondered if that form of solicitation was "acceptable" but apparently you've all had a fair amount of success! Good to know as I plan to send out resumes!

38. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

None of the schools I just emailed had job postings, and none of the replies I've gotten had anything in their buildings. I put the subject line as "Possible Openings" and then included in the first sentence that I was contacting them with the hopes of a last minute position opening up. Most of the principals did say they looked over my resume and thought it looked really good, and they would keep it in their personal files. So, I'm hoping something comes up unexpectedly! My boss told me this morning that a principal called her and was checking references. I guess it means if something comes up, I'll be ready to take the job immediately. It sounded great to me. Now, just waiting to hear back.

39. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

I met a teacher while on jury duty that said that her school would have an opening. I emailed the P, got an interview and was offered the job. It's all about networking and putting yourself out there.

40. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

I just got a call for an interview through e-mailing principals! Although, the interview is for a part time position as a theater teacher in K-2, not sure yet, but excited that principals are reading my e-mails!! :)

41. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

I only email principals for posted openings. I also put in the email that I applied online or wherever the district has you apply.

I've never done blind emails.