Did anyone struggle with class management their 2nd year

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by futureteach24, Nov 12, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Nov 12, 2013

I've been told by the principal he might non renew me this year; I think part of this is because he dislikes me. I have tried so hard and feel like I am doing this alone. How can I turn this around? Thanks.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2013

You bring up two different issues: the idea that the principal doesn't like you and a struggle with classroom management.

In your shoes, I would go for broke. I would make an appointment to see him, to hear what his specific concerns are. And, most of all, I would ask for his advice: what does he think you should do to turn things around? You need specifics: what are the issues and how does he suggest you solve them?

If he's not helpful with advice, go to the AP or a successful teacher or anyone you think might help.

But don't go down without a fight. It's only November... lots of time to change his mind.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2013

I agree with Alice. I would also add that you might want to take a list of what you think the issues are with possible solutions, and then add any your P might make as well. Good luck!

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2013

I agree with Alice about talking to Admin to address what you can do to improve. Although, from what I've seen, when Admin actually tells you they may let you go at the end of the year (and its not even Thanksgiving yet), that means they want to let you go now but can't for whatever reason. I would start looking for a new job now.

And this is my 6th year and I still have behavior management issues.

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2013

This is my 5th year teaching, and I do still struggle with behavior management in certain situations. I think it's too much to expect yourself to be perfect in your second year. I agree that you should go to admin to talk about what issues your having, and be open to suggestions. Maybe you can observe another teacher's class?

7. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Nov 26, 2013

It's my second year and I'm still struggling. However, I know I am much much better this year than last year. I agree with the above posters; ask advice from veteran teachers and the principal. Although my classroom management was a disaster my first year, I think it helped my standing with the principal and evaluations when I asked for advice and was actively and constantly trying to improve.

8. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Dec 6, 2013

Um heck yes. Feeling discouraged with myself right now about this. But I feel like, teaching for 1 year does not generally make you a pro at everything magically - much as they'd like to treat it that way......