Did Anyone See This News Story? Disgusting!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Youngteacher226, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2011

I wanted to share this story with you all. Apparently, a school district hired a goof ball as a teacher, a teacher who teaches special needs children, but makes fun of them on Facebook. What a jerk! :(

Read article HERE.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2011

My guess is that in fairly short order, Mr. Hollinger will not have any Special Needs kids to worry about.

Good riddance.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 16, 2011

Oh my, and I think Alice hit the nail on the head.

5. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Oct 16, 2011

What a jerk.

6. Threnody

Threnody Rookie

Oct 16, 2011

Why do all of these teachers keep getting in trouble for posting things on Facebook? Don't they know better than to leave their profiles public?

Everyone is entitled to vent their frustrations about their jobs, but as teachers, I think that we should be more careful about what we express to the general public.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2011

I totally agree! :(

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 16, 2011

There are so many issues around Facebook....on the one hand, yes, you are entitled to "free speech" but at the same time, your employer is entitled to get rid of you.

I partially blame Facebook for this. Every time they make changes, people complain that it screws up their privacy settings.

OTOH, somewhere along the line, we really need to impress on people the importance of not putting things in writing that may come back to haunt them later. I think people think that firing off a momentary complaint on FB gets it off their chest and it won't be a problem. The reality is, people can skew what you write and make it something it wasn't intended to be.

I post on Facebook, but I rarely post anything of a work nature and I don't have work friends as FB friends. If you're going to use social media, you really have to set big, broad, bold lines.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 16, 2011

Free speech issues aside, I don't want people who don't like kids teaching my kids. I understand that kids can be frustrating, but there's a difference between saying that you had a tough day at work and mocking a child by wearing his safety helmet while making fun of him. The person who feels it's okay to make derogatory statements and make fun of their students, either on the internet or at their kitchen table, does not belong in the classroom.

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 16, 2011

There is venting and then there is another level. I think people who feel the need to constantly diminish others, whether children or other adults, need to examine why they feel the compulsion to do so. There are people who engage in this behavior as a pastime and it's immature. And you're right. That type of person does not belong in a classroom.

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 16, 2011

I have to agree with the comments from the video "It's like they went to the set of Jackass and hired the person that would work for the least amount of money."

These photos and comments are nothing short of despicable. My aunt was a special education teacher back in the 70's and 80's. I once made a comment, in childish innocence, about a student. She let me know right away that youthful ignorance was no excuse for disrespect, whether intentional or not. I was only 7, but it is a lesson I never forgot.

As for Facebook, I put all the blame squarely on the people too ignorant to avoid posting stupid comments on their wall. I don't care if FB "screws up your privacy settings", if you don't say something stupid to begin with, you don't have to worry about your privacy settings. It is time for people to realize the First Amendment does NOT give them the right to say anything they want anytime or anyplace they want. And employers DO have the right to fire you for making derogatory comments about your job, coworkers, boss, clients, customers or (in our case), parents or students.

Don't want to get in trouble for a Facebook comment? Then just THINK before you post. It really is as simple as that.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2011

Facebook isn't capable of expressing hateful, hurtful, and ignorant thoughts or taking and then posting insulting photos. To blame is only the idiotic guy in the photo.

Kind of along the lines of "guns don't kill people; people kill people"...this isn't a Facebook issue, but a jack--- issue.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 16, 2011

JustMe, I agree. Facebook is not the issue here-the person who made the comments is the issue. People who use social networking need to carefully think about what they post. On the internet, EVERYTHING is public.