Did admin do enough?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MikeTeachesMath, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 5, 2014

I'm on your side and I think what the kid did was very serious. However...

When I taught middle school I had the following done to me by students:

- a kid who repeatedly made sudden movements towards me as though he was going to hit me with the intent of seeing me flinch

- a kid who emptied a pencil sharpener and threw the shavings in another kid's face

- a kid graphically and publicly insinuate that I was having a sexual relationship with another student when I complimented that student's work

- a kid tell me my address to my face as a threat

- a kid throw pebbles at my classroom window when he saw me sitting on the other side of it

Most of these things were commited by the same student. None of them resulted in a suspension. Only one - the pebbles incident - resulted in a 2 day after school detention.

As I said, I'm on your side and I think it stinks, but a week long suspension only surprises me because your admin took any action at all. :(

2. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Nov 5, 2014

You guys should probably proofread :)

At no point did the original poster demand expulsion. They stated that while a week long suspension was adequate in the punishment realm that they wondered if something more should be done to re mediate the problem. That was all they were asking for here.

Thats all. Go Blue - I'm going to be honest here too but there is no way i'd be willing to work in an environment where someone threatening my physical well being or that of a child was a "no big deal" situation either.

I don't get paid enough for that.