Did admin do enough?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MikeTeachesMath, Nov 4, 2014.

1. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 4, 2014

I'm currently on crutches from that car accident I was in a bit ago. Today, I had a student giving me a hard time the entire period. I split them into pairs to work on problems together, which I gave them around 15 minutes to complete. Once they were all done, I had pairs come up to the board and explain one problem (of my choosing) to the class. While a pair was presenting, the student got up to sharpen his pencil. I was standing to the left of the board (near the door and pencil sharpener). I asked the student (quietly) to sit back down. He said, "Don't tell me what to do, gimpy" and then tried to kick out one of my crutches. I sent him down to the office with security (he's known to wander if he's left alone).

Admin suspended him for a week. That's it. No other consequences. Is it just me, or should there be something more to the punishment? Apparently since he only *tried* to kick out my crutch and didn't *actually* do it, there's not much that can be done. I was a little baffled.

I feel like I should bring up my concern to admin, but this is literally day 2 of this job for me. I don't want to get on her bad side. :unsure:

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 4, 2014

BTW, this student is in 7th grade and the class is Math 7. One of my team members told me she thinks he should really be in the remedial class and that the "regular track" might be too difficult which is why he acts out.

4. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Nov 4, 2014

I am also a new teacher. At least at my school, a week-long suspension is considered a fairly severe punishment. Perhaps I am wrong, but even if the student had kicked your crutch, I do not think the school would have expelled him (again, I could be wrong).

For the incident in question, I do think that the punishment fits.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 4, 2014

I agree with Moogeeg that a week long suspension at our school is a huge deal (especially for 7th graders). Does that mean that it's enough or appropriate for real-life? Probably not, as in real life that would be classified as assault, but you might just have to take what you can get here.

The consequences in High School are usually much harsher than at middle school if that's what you're used to.

If you trust your admin (which you probably don't at this time) you can bring it up with her if you feel comfortable, but I wouldn't expect much to be changed.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 4, 2014

A week is considered severe here. However, it's likely our admin would also recommend counseling and kiddo would have frequent chats with our counselor upon his return.

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 4, 2014

I definitely did not mean more suspension time/expulsion/whatever. I was thinking more along the lines of what dgpiaffe said about checking in with the counselor or something. I have a feeling this kid will be gone for a week and come back, and we'll be back at square one again.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2014

Here, Admin would wonder why you put a kid out of class for something so trivial that is really a "teacher managed" behavior and not an "Admin managed behavior." At the worst, my Admin would have told you to assign the kid a detention but suspension would never have been considered.

The student didn't hurt you, you didn't fall. So, basically, you asked a kid to do something and they didn't comply while calling you a mean name. That is not an offense that would get more than a detention here and if you expected more, then that would be a "red flag" for Admin.

No offense, but if my co-worker wanted a suspension for what you described, I wouldn't expect them to last long here.

9. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for your input.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 4, 2014

And what Go Blue described is exactly why I love where I teach.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2014

Probably wouldn't be a suspension here since he didn't *actually* kick the crutch. However, sending him out both for calling you gimpy and attempting to kick you would be completely appropriate (and the kid would likely get after-school work detail).

If he had made contact with your crutch, then they'd be asking about filing charges and definitely a suspension.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

Maybe you could request a meeting between the student with admin or a counselor if you have one present before he officially comes back to kind of clear the air.

It was extremely disrespectful and even though he may not have made contact it was an aggressive action. I mean if he had done that to another student certainly that would be grounds for admin to get involved.

13. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Nov 4, 2014

my admin would not suspend over that (even though I would think some type of serious consequence is needed). he didnt hit you nor make you fall---but was he intending to? and either way, that behavior is not appropriate. I agree with others in regards to setting up a meeting with guidance

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 4, 2014

I had a student threaten to stab me in the stomach while pregnant. His punishment was to wash the tables in the cafeteria so I understand your frustration.

Is there a posted conduct code?

15. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 4, 2014

I teach 7th grade math too :) Anyways, I can tell you a comment like that at my school MIGHT get ISS, MIGHT. Certainly not OSS. I think that is a very adequate punishment.

16. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 4, 2014

I probably would've been fired if a student said that to me while pregnant. Threaten me all day long, threaten one of my children and I will turn into a mama lioness. I would've gone ballistic, and my voice would've been more than elevated. Holy crap.

I'm actually shaking a bit still after reading your comment.

I probably would've demanded the kid be removed from my team for his own well-being from that point on, because there is no way I could retain my self composure and professionalism with a student who threatened the life of one of my children.

Am I over-reacting? Strange? Weird?