Dictionary Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms. F, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Ms. F

Ms. F Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

Hello! I am new and really adore this site.

This is my second year of teaching 2nd grade and next week my observation window is open. My principal will be dropping in at any time to observe my class for 45 minutes. I am so nervous. She will usually come in during reading or math. In reading we will be discussing how to use a glossary and dictionary. We will be discussing how knowing abc order and guide words will help us.

I would really appreciate some advice on some engaging activities that my students could participate in to grasp this concept. My principal is a stickler on engaging activities as well as group work. All help will be greatly appreciated.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

4. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

depending how how well your kiddo's can use a dictionary, how about dictionary races, every student or pair of students gets a dictionary, you write a word on the board and they can't start looking for the word until you say go. The first person or team to find the word , raise thier hand and point it out to the checker earns a point, candy, pencil, smile (what ever you decide the reward to be) and then the game continues.
    good luck :)

5. Ms. F

Ms. F Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

Thanks so much to both of you. I appreciate any help I can get!