Dictation Sentences

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheeryteach2, Aug 25, 2007.

1. cheeryteach2

cheeryteach2 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Next week I will be starting spelling with my students. We have dictation sentences as part of our curriculum. Last year I did not give my students the sentences to study throughout the week. They were familiar with the words and the word families I used for the sentence but they did not have the sentence to study. They were just tested on it on Fridays spelling test. This year the teachers want to give them the sentences to study, which I disagree with. I think it defeats the whole purpose of seeing if they remember their sight words, word families to construct a sentence and most important, the punctuation used to write a sentence. What are your thoughts and what do you do in the classroom?
    (I hope this makes sense-it was hard to put into writing). Thanks in advance for all your help.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 25, 2007

They should not practice the sentences. The sentences are supposed to be "application practice."

4. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I agree. Dictation sentences, as with their other writing, are opportunities for applying skills.

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I also agree. Like you said, it defeats the purpose of the sentences if you give it to them ahead of time. I do dictation sentences also and the students do not get them ahead of time.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 25, 2007

I tell them the words and the sight words for the spelling test (which I'd rather not tell them the word family words... but oh well)

I do not tell them the sentence since they should already know those words. If I do choose a word that they don't know how to spell, then I do not count it. I also do a dictation of a few individual sounds, and I don't tell them that either.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

I never gave the sentences in advance. What is the point of that? On each spelling test, I gave one complex sentence for extra credit. It had to be spelled and punctuated correctly. They also had to identify the type of sentence to get the EC.