Dibels

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by rchlkay, Sep 12, 2007.

1. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Sep 12, 2007

Who is using Dibels in the primary grades to assess reading? Our school has gone to this and I just spent the last two days sitting in workshops learning all about it. I honestly think I'm more confused now than I was before I went to the two day workshop. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this process? What have your experiences been?

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2007

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

We are using it in our district, k-6. It only measures how well they read aloud, at least in the upper grades. There is no comprehension aspect. It is what our district uses to determine gifted placement in first and second grades. I wish we would go back to the comprehension assessments. Some my best readers do bad reading aloud because they don't read aloud anymore.

5. ivgotahalo

ivgotahalo Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

I do DIBELS and I like them. I use the retell as a comprehension grade. It's not the best assessment but it gives me a good idea where to start. I use it to put them into fluency groups and I use their errors to give them phonic lessons.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 13, 2007

Do you use the retell section? That is an indicator of comprehension. Not to mention, fluency in upper grades is a good indication of comprehension.

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 14, 2007

I had to do it at my last school for 4 years in 1st grade (Title 1 pretty low group too) and all of us hated it. It was not that informative, the passages varied in difficulty going easy, hard easy, so you never really felt like it was fair when they went down then up. They said passages are not supposed to get more difficult but they do! I thought the nonsense words were good practice but they never informed my instruction or where to go next with any kids. It just satisfied some assessment the school needed for Title 1. Bad thing was I had to do it every 10 days with a palm pilot for all kids below grade level in reading. That was most of my class at first of the year! Crazy! Nobody liked it very much.