DIBELS

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Emma35, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2007

Do you use it and what do you think about it? Our district just started using it this year and I am not sure I like it. I just wondered what others thought about it.:thanks:

3. Kinderteacher23

Kinderteacher23 Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

My district started the testing with last year's kinders. I was a kinder teacher last year and didn't really feel like the test showed what the kids know. I just DIBELed my kids today and again, I am not sure I like the test because I feel it doesn't REALLY show what the kids know.

4. eteach1

eteach1 Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I'm not real wild about them. Our district does them every year with the kinders and first graders. I also believe that it doesn't so what most kids really know. I especially hate the Nonsense Word Fluency. I understand the belief behind it, but I don't believe it shows a child's true knowledge. The only part I somewhat appreciate is the reading.

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2007

Both of your comments are exactly what I am thinking. Do you DIBEL each student and how often?

6. eteach1

eteach1 Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I am lucky enough that the special ed team, psychologist, speech teacher, and sometimes the ELL teacher do the testing. The only thing I will do is the reading on my own. I know I am lucky that I don't have to do it.

However, the students are assessed in the fall, winter, and spring.

7. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I've done the test with first grade for the past 5 years. I feel it is a good tool to show the parents how they are able to read a passage (skip words, not blending, saying one sight word for another). We use it for a primary assessment tool. I don't think it shows 100% of how well they are doing, but I haven't found an assessment that does! I think it's interesting to watch the growth...especially children that have not had a reading program with blending try the nonsense words. By midyear, they are pros with the nonsense words!!! I would love to hear of assessments first graders use that really show how well they are doing!
    Carrie

8. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Sep 8, 2007

My district used to use DI
    BELS, but we don't use it now. We use another assessment. Our principal noticed it wasnt providing us a good assessment between the initial and final assessment,

9. 1styear1stgrade

1styear1stgrade New Member

Sep 8, 2007

I am a new teacher and was just trained in DIBELS. I had the same feeling until they really explained what the nonsense words tell the teacher. It helps us see whether or not the student really understand letter sounds. If they look at real words, they may only know it from memory, but not truly understand the letter sounds that make up the word. I begin testing next week for the first time so we'll see how it goes!

10. mrsfirstgrade

mrsfirstgrade New Member

Sep 11, 2007

We use Literacy First

We do not use Dibels. We use Literacy First. This program let's us know exactly where the students has holes. We are able to work on those skills and pull out in flexible groups. They use Dibels at my daughters school. I could not really tell what any of it meant last year when she was in first grade.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

The district that I student taught in used TPRI and the district I worked in last year used DRA along with TPRI.

12. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

I AGREE AND I FEEL THAT THIS TEST IS NOT GOOD FOR ALL THE CHIDLREN WHO DO NOT DO WELL ON TEST. THE HIGHER GRADE ONE ARE AWFUL AND TIMELY.:down:

13. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

We had to use dibels for 4 years in my Title 1 school. We had to do our low kids every 10 days. Can you believe that? It was so time consuming. The bad part is that some of the passages are harder than others as you go along the year and my kids would go down sometimes and then go up. Crazy! It was hard to see progress. I got to where I'd tell them to skip words they didn't know just so they could show progress because they count the words they read correctly. (bad me) I actually liked the nonsense words because they were mostly cvc words and that is really good phonics practice and they mostly improved on those. It did not really help me much to tell me where they were, especially when they'd go up and down.
    For the most part the class improved each month. But it was labor intensive. My principal bought us all palm pilots to do the every 10 day testing cuz most of your class was below grade level at start of the year! :eek:

14. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2007

Well I started DIBELS this week with my kids and so far I don't see the benefit of it. I wish our district would stop changing testing methods. First we used DRA, which I liked, then IRI, which I hated and now DIBELS which I am still so unsure of!

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 12, 2007

I HATE DIBELS!!!! It does have some useful ideas behind it...but I feel is is really inappropriate for kinders. I also feel is it unfair for those kids who have reading skills to try to read "nonsense words" when they are starting to read!! They bomb the test because they try to make a real word out of the nonsense word!

My district is starting to wonder about the validity of the test! Our AEA rep. says that the overall validity of DIBELS is being questioned!!

16. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 12, 2007

I am not a fan of DIBELS either. Most kindergarten students have a hard time with the test because of the directions. The test can be used correctly if the results are actaually shared with the teacher (we don't test our own students). We are only given a score, we can't actually see what they got right/wrong, only how many they got right/wrong.....which isn't much help to me.

17. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

What's IRI? I've done dibels and DRA and didn't really like either. I've never heard of IRI though. But if you hated it I probably would have too, he he. Why are they all so time consuming? Isn't there one out there that's quick and easy? :lol:

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2007

IRI's are like DRA but they came with our reading series. They gave us much less information than DRA's.

19. chrissy

chrissy Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

We use DIBELS at our school for 1st and kinder and actually it is what our bonus is based on :unsure:. I also feel that it doesn't really test what the kids know. It's a little contradicting when we are teaching them to read for content and understanding and then DIBELS is strictly fluency and how fast they can get the words out with no regard to whether they understand/comprehend what they are reading. I'm also unsure of the nonsense word part. I just feel like there has to be a better way.

20. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

I have used DIBELS for about 3 years. I have also used the Ohio Literacy Assessment. DIBELS is a lot faster to give! I understand some folks may be having trouble with the NWF, nonsense words. My first question is, did you get extensive training on how to give that test? Your trainer should have emphasised that the first graders are not expected to "read" the nonsense words. They are only expected to make the letter sounds. So if they are saying long vowel sounds rather than short vowel sounds, which btw is very common in first grade, but they are making the correct consonant sounds then they get credit for 2 out of 3 sounds in the cvc words. If you are counting the entire word wrong just because they mispronounced the vowel or one of the consonants then you are not scoring correctly and the child will appear lower than he or she really is. It is very confusing when you first start to use DIBELS. But once you get used to it you should be able to test your entire class in one afternoon. I can't do that with any other assessment I have used.

21. luv2teach1

luv2teach1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Our school is piloting this program this year. I don't know anything about it, but one of our teachers is not pleased because it does not correlate with Balanced Literacy. We currently use DRA assessments for reading. I'm not sure I will like this program...it just seems like we test, test, test....:(