DIBELS

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by chrissy1214phx, Jul 6, 2013.

1. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Jul 6, 2013

What has been your experience with this assessment?

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 7, 2013

We use it at our school. Basically, we give three benchmarks (beginning of year, middle of year, and end of year). During these, the student reads for one minute as we click on errors made. After a minute, they recall what they read about. Each benchmark requires the student to read THREE stories in this manner. After the first benchmark, the results put students into one of three tiers: Tier 1 (on level), Tier 2 (some risk), Tier 3 (high risk). Students in tiers 2 and 3 then receive daily intervention and are "progress monitored" every two weeks or so. The PM is just like the benchmark except it's ONE story.

PROS:
    This assessment seems to be quite reliable at determining which students need intervention.
    It is easily accessible- we can do it on the PC, iPhone, laptop, or iPad.
    Results are instantaneous.
    User friendly.
    Provides activities to use for intervention.

CONS:
    Takes a LONG time when the classroom teacher administers it to the whole class (at least 3 times a year).
    Seems to rely heavily on SPEED of reading rather than comprehension.
    Parents of struggling students are often skeptical and don't believe that reading faster necessarily means reading better.
    It's hard to get the kids isolated during the assessment. We give it in class while the class is working on assignments so I often wonder if some kids hear the stories ahead of time and it messes with their scores?

Is there anything specific you'd like to know beyond this?

4. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Jul 8, 2013

thank you. I was just curious as this will be the test my school will use and I'm a new teacher. I wasn't sure how it was administered ( like you said, it's administered in class and hard to get the kids isolated.) Your response was helpful.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 8, 2013

Helpful to consider that oral reading fluency is one of the best predictors of comprehension statistically. Not saying faster reading makes for better reading, but fluent reading (speed & accuracy) not only enables comprehension but is statistically correlated with it.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 8, 2013

Oh, I completely agree! It's just that, like with anything, there are some exceptions to the rule, so to speak. I've had a few kids who could read fluently and accurately but had little retention of what they read. Likewise I've had a few children read VERY slowly but retain every bit of what they read and retell it in great detail! I just wish there was a stronger comprehension element (other than counting the words the kids use to recount the story). Also, sometimes I think it's a more important skill to be able to summarize concisely rather than to be wordy about it! :p

Overall, I am very grateful for the DIBELS assessment. It allows for a pretty quick overview of a kid's abilities in a short amount of time that is pretty reliable! I just wanted to let you know some of the things I don't enjoy about it so you'd be a little more informed. :thumb:

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 8, 2013

I agree queenie - it definitely doesn't measure every dimension of comprehension. I actually don't use retell at all. Interestingly, there are some CBM packages now that do include comprehension questions - not just retell - I believe AIMSweb & EasyCBM both do at present. Still, even that's not a full meaure.

:)

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 11, 2013

We don't use the retell part in my district.

Also, we do test 3x per year. However, we have a team of people who test our entire school. The team includes our administrators, counselor, psych, SLP, library media teacher, RSP teacher, and reading intervention clinicians.