DIBELS testing at the end of the day! Noooo...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 19, 2019

Planning hour. Was vaguely aware it was DIBELS day. Am handed the tentative schedule.

My kids are scheduled to be tested at the very end of the day. And I have quite a few distractables.

I know it's just the beginning of the year test and it only shows so much and only a snapshot of the day at that and yada-yada.

But golly, what are some suggestions for getting my kids back in the zone at the end of the day?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 25, 2019

Some things you can't control. Trying to control what you can't control will drive you nuts.

My students were given a math time that didn't work. We had no choice, we had to follow the times "to the minute." My students had math at the end of the day, which was at the end of a 3 hour block with no breaks. Of course they did poorly each day. They were exhausted. The were tired of sitting. They were cranky. But admin insisted the time must be adhered to, and insisted that time could not be "wasted" giving them a brain break, or other physical activity.

And since our math time was totally "regimented," there was nothing I could do. It was dictated what we must do for each minute in the math block and whether or not each section was to be done on the carpet or at their seats.

Sometimes, you run out of options. Don't sweat things you can't change.

bella84, Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 28, 2019

That type of thing happens. You are lucky it was at the beginning of the year....It will make you look like super teacher when they get tested next time! :) Just think of the progress they will show! :)

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 3, 2019

How did this end up working for your students?

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 5, 2019

... I was rather embarrassed to update.

Whoever made the schedule didn't know what they were doing/couldn't predict time/speed of testing.

Our class was still the last class tested... At 10:30 AM after a refreshing recess break and a dose of phonics.

otterpop likes this.