DIBELS question

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lotusblossom, Jan 18, 2008.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jan 18, 2008

I'm a 1st yr K teacher. We just did our midyear DIBELS benchmark, and a few of my kids scored literally off the charts in Initial Sound Fluency... my highest was 120. It was 4 kids, and all were expected to be high, but my ISF scores were higher than the other teachers, and I'm afraid I did something wrong. Have you ever heard of midyear benchmark ISF scores in the 80s 90s or 100s??

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 19, 2008

Our assistants do our testing. I don't even have a clue what the test looks like. They act like it is some big secret. I don't even get to see their scores, just a list of who needs minor interventions, major interventions or are on grade level. My students who have severe speech problems scored in the major intervention range. Needless to say I am not a huge fan of DIBELS at least as it is managed at our school.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 19, 2008

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I do know that kids that race through the test can get really high scores. So if they get through a page in a few seconds it totally bumps up their score. I had a girl in my K class who didn't actually have high ISF skills at all but continually did well on DIBELS b/c of giving answers quickly and just happening to guess right. With several pages if the kids just point to the pictures starting at the top left and continuing they'll get 3 out of 4 right. I thought it was a very lousy form of assessment! The DIBELS I gave to my 6th graders last week was much better.

5. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jan 19, 2008

I agree, I'm not the biggest fan of DIBELS, and I think it measures speed more than skill... but I am still concerned that I somehow screwed up. For reference, the grade level score on Initial Sound Fluency would be 25 in January. So 120?! :eek:

6. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 19, 2008

I teach first grade, so I don't do ISF, but I know that some of our students score off the charts in some areas. If they were expected to be high, maybe the scores are accurate. Could you explain to the other teachers how you administered the test and see if you did it correctly or consult a training manual if you have one?

7. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

My highest ISF score was 65.

8. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Jan 22, 2008

Not sure off hand of my highest score, but I know the formula to figure it out is: # correct (out of 16) times 60 = Answer. Then Answer divided by # of seconds it took to complete. So...it seems that if your children are scoring 120, they completed 16 questions in 8 seconds. Does this seems right to you?

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 22, 2008

Yes- it all depends on the speed of the students responses and the speed of the tester. I have tested kids who point to the correct picture before I can even start the stopwatch.