Dibels - help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BabyAngel, Aug 12, 2007.

1. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

OK, so I have been teaching older kids for years. I know what the DRAs are, and have administered them. I'm fine with that test. However, I don't know what the Dibels are (I know my new school will use them) or what other tests are out there now for K-3 kids. Can anyone give me a short lesson on the Dibels, and maybe, other tests your school uses? I want to be prepared and since I'm Spec Ed, I know that these tests will play an important role in my upcoming school year.

Thanks, so much in advance!

3. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I know that Dibels are online and you can download all of it. I think it also gives some directions there. I printed it all off, but never had a chance to figure it out & then I switched to general ed.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

DIBELS stands for Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills. In first grade we test students on letter name fluency, phoneme segmentation, nonsense words and oral reading fluency. The tests are timed- 1 minute each. I think they do nonsense words at the beginning of second grade and then just oral reading fluency from there on. Kindergarten also does initial sound fluency.

5. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Guys, THANK YOU!

Annie, I found them online and it's exactly what I'm looking for to get ready!

Sarah, thank you! I have a much better idea of what I'll be looking for.

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

I've had to administer DIBELS a couple years ago.
    The tests are as follows:

Letter Naming fluency-the students are required to name as many letters in 1 minute. The letters are both uppercase and in random order.

Initial Sound fluency- Students are given four pictures and point to a picture that begins with a specific sound. Then the student is asked what sound a picture begins with. The directions really throw kids off on this test. Students are timed, but must finish the whole set of questions. There is a formula the testers used to determine the actual score. I have the DIBELS book, but can't remember the formula from memory.

Phoneme Segmentation- Students are given a word, then they have to segment into sounds. They have 1 minute to do as many words as they can.

Nnsense word fluency- Students have to decode nonsense words. They do as many as they can in 1 minute. Now, in this test, students can also just say the individual sounds without actually blending it into a word.

Oral Reading Fluency-Students have to read a passage. They read as far as they can in 1 minute.

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

I have found that if you are going to be testing kindergarten students, you will have to really take time with the directions. Every year I simulate the directions with my students so that when they go to take the test, they are familiar and will do better because of it. For example, we will practice letter naming fluency directions by using shapes or colors. Some other things I stress with my students is to not stop if they don't know I letter and to be sure to point to what they are reading.

8. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

At our school we DIBEL 3 times a year. It's nice because you can chart each student's progress and get scores from previous years. You can print out a chart that is very easy for parents to understand too. For primary students different sub-tests are administered depending on the grade level and time of year. Intermediate 4th-6th grade just do oral reading fluency and a re-tell of the story.

Kids who are at-risk can be progress monitored as regularly as needed to determine whether they are making growth. The good thing about this assessment is you can pinpoint exact reading deficits or strengths each child has. It's really easy to learn how to do.

As a sped teacher it's great because you have data. You can do the progress monitoring for data collection too- when I taught sped I did this bi-weekly for a few particular students and it worked nicely.