diapers on high school students.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by acegirl, Oct 31, 2008.

1. acegirl

acegirl New Member

Oct 31, 2008

I live in texas and i teacher life skills high school. I recently had problems with aides not wanted to change diapers in my room. I was told that it was my job to assist with diaper changing if one of the aides do not want to do it? I currently have one aide with a group of 8. There is another unit that has two aides with one teacher. I wanted for one of those aides to come help out with this student. However, i never got that approval for that. I was told by my principle that i need to help out with changing. I am very confused but if i only have one aide what happens to the other students. I am really feed up that i never get the support i need in my school. I think that if they are speical ed aides they should be required to change diapers. What is the policy in your school?

3. sarah80

sarah80 Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

I have no support in my classroom either. The principal side with the paraprofessional against me. When the paraprofessional has a high school degree. :(

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 1, 2008

I had a student transfer into my class from another school who was 12 years old and still in diapers. We eventually trained her to use the toilet (the parents said they could not be bothered) but when she still used diapers I had the aides take care of it about 90% of the time. The only time I helped out was when I was not in the middle of a lesson or otherwise busy with other students. We had more than one aide and they would take turns. I would not assume the diaper responsibility as a teacher in your case unless it was absolutely necessary and your teaching or supervision of the other students wasn't compromised. I'm sorry to hear you're not getting the support you need.

5. sarah80

sarah80 Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

May be your principal considers that changing diapers is part of your your degree in teaching life skills :confused:

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 1, 2008

I'm a classroom aide and not a special education aide so take my advice with a grain of salt if you must. I wouldn't do it. The liability burden is greater for a teacher than an aide and this is clearly an area where there could be some liability issues. I might, however, if I had another credible witness but not alone. Maybe your principle isn't finding any aides that are willing. It's not like we are paid very much. It may or may not be our job. I don't know if it is any more our job than it is the teachers. Again, I am not a "special ed" aide per say but we do have some limited issues with that currently in our Elementary class and instead of it being the aide having the problem, it's the teacher who refuses though she only has a half-time aide. In this case, should it be the teacher aide from other classes coming to the rescue because she won't or the teacher who has the responsibility for the class...period?

I don't know where I stand on this. I'm okay with a little girl. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a larger kid. I'm not in that position.

7. acegirl

acegirl New Member

Nov 1, 2008

Can i get written up for refusing as a teacher. I do not see

how this is my responsiblity, if aides refuse. The principle even send me the job duties of a sped teacher in our district. It states diapering is part of the duty to assist or surpvise. However, what about the other students?? On the aide duty it does say diapering changing period not surpvising. Im lost!!

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2008

I would look into the job description of both the paraprofessional (Special education) and the teacher (special education).

I know that a part of my job is to carry out the students IEP. It is usually written into an IEP when a child needs bathroom assistance, to include diapering and other self-help skills.

In my classroom, it is typically the paraprofessional's responsibility to do the toileting, only because it takes me away from the classroom. There are many times where I also do the changing. Getting hired as a paraprofessional in a classroom for children with severe needs typically means there will be things that need to be done that pose a liability risk. Where I am, nobody would second guess someone changing a diaper. We have a bathroom in our classroom and the door is always left open. Actually, it's a rule in our school that no student should be alone in a bathroom with a teacher/aide with the door shut (door should always be open).

I would be frustrated to hear that someone was "refusing" to help a child to take care of their needs (liability or not). If you do your job and you do your job right, there's nothing to be nervous about. We have male assistants in our school who toilet our girls and female assistants who toilet our boys, etc. I'd hope that someone in this field would not take advantage of any situation in bathroom.

Here is the job description of a paraprofessional in my old district:
    The Special Education Instructional Assistant on a daily basis, works under the general supervision of the Principal and the immediate direction of a certified teacher, assists the special education teacher to provide for the physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in a special education setting, and also assists the special education teacher in the delivery of services while implementing the student?s individual education plan.

This, to me, would imply that a paraprofessional would assist me in meeting the needs of my students. I, of course, would not completely and flat out object to changing diapers, but it would mean that I would be leaving all of my other students without instruction, as I spent time in the bathroom with one student. I don't think that's fair. I do help out when needed. On that note, the teacher of the class mentioned above would have a difficult time going to change a diaper of a student if she only had a part time assistant. Where would the other kids go during this diaper change? If it was the case where the teacher was the only one available, I WOULD expect that someone else would come to help out so the students were not left alone.

I just think that those refusing to help a child with special needs require an attitude adjustment or a new job.

9. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

In my classroom, I have two students that need changing. Fortunately, I also have two very willing paraprofessionals to help out. We do a weekly schedule for bathrooming where two of us change and the other stays with the remainer of the class. This works well for all of us and doesn't make my paras feel they are beneath me. I am lucky to have them both!!

10. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

In our district paraprofessionals are leveled. A level 1 para is an educational assistant and does no toileting or personal cares. A level 2 or 3 assists with ALL personal cares, including administering medication, changing, and showering. Granted, the meds and g-tube feedings are taught by our district nurses and showering is just monitoring the students.

I personally, and I know other teachers in the district, help out with toileting. I have a wonderful staff I "share" with another teacher, but I rarely hear any complaints about personal cares. If however, there is a need I do help toilet. I feel it gives me a good sense of how independent my students can be so I can offer good instruction to them AND my staff.

In my previous district however, I DID do a good deal of changing (long story). I had a schedule stating each persons time to change, including my own. They weren't allowed to refuse, it was considered part of their job.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 1, 2008

I know it is certainly not required for a sub to change dipers. I however want a job as a teacher's aide in special ed and am in school to teach these blessings we call special needs children. I change dipers. I think if a sub can change dipers an aide should have no problems with it. I think it is sad when someone is in education(Teacher or aide) for just a paycheck. I know we all need to pay bills but come on that aide sounds like she just wants a check. If you do not love special children and have a God given desire then look for a job elsewhere. All I can say to you acegirl is I am sorry about your aide. Just keep doing your job to the best of your ability. It sounds like you are so keep it up!

12. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

I second TEACHERSK answer. I do occassionaly change diapers myself but my paras do it, we share the resposibility. LUckily we have 4 aides in our dept and we rotate every 9 weeks who does the changing and we do not allow males to change the females but the females can change the males, but we normally keep it same sex if at all possible. All of us have back issues, so teachers and Aides help with the lifting and using of the lift, that is where the liability normally gets in the way, and the aide changes then I come back in to help move them back to their wheelchair. I wish I could help more but again I would get your handbook and look at the specific duties of you as a teacher and the aides. IF it is taking you out of the classroom and your aide is not watching the kids you already have, and keeping them on their tasks then you need to bring this to the principal or Special Ed dept attentiona nd tell them you need a 2nd aide or you need to set definate guidelines to the fact that if you are doing diapers then she MUST continue with lesson etc. We do diaper changing at 2 specific times of the day anyway, usually when we come in in the mornings where we do fun group activities and the kids being changed won't miss out on much and then in the afternoon during Novel reading time. That way if I must change these are things the aides can do easily with out my guidance.

Wish I could be more help.

13. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Nov 2, 2008

In my district it is in the paraprofessional's job description. I help when I can but my responsibility is to be with the majority of the students. I would not leave the room to help with diaper changing unless it was easier for me to then for one of my paraprofessionals to stop what they are doing.