Diagramming Sentences

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Maryhf, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2011

We had a discussion today about the death of diagramming sentences in school. I know I did it in middle school and high school but I don't recall details. It seems to me that it is sort of like a graphic organizer for grammar. Does anyone use this method for teaching sentence parts?

3. holliday

holliday Comrade

Feb 25, 2011

I do! It helps the visual kids. I don't do it to death, but I teach them how to diagram for subject (including compound subjects), verbs and verb phrases (and compound predicates), adjectives, adverbs, direct and indirect objects.

I don't get any more complicated than that. But I have had good success with it.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2011

I use it when I teach the parts of a sentence, but I don't make the students do it outside of their practice. They may only color the subject or compound subject in a sentence. I don't make them do multiple parts in a sentence.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 25, 2011

I loved diagraming sentences. Every English teacher I ever had from 6 - 12, we diagrammed sentences. I loved the way the "sentence" looked after word was diagrammed. What I remember is you started with subject and verb, kinda of like this __________l__________, then you would draw lines that would shoot off for prep phrases, DO, ect . . .

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2011

I wasn't taught to diagram sentences and I don't teach my students using this method. I do, of course, have students identify the parts of a sentence and that can include drawing vertical dividing lines, using different colors, circling this and boxing in that, and physically cutting sentences, but we don't diagram entire sentences.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2011

Now, I never diagrammed sentences in school and wish I had.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 25, 2011

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 25, 2011

I will ck out that website. I loved diagramming sentences as a kid. I always looked at it like it was a puzzle. I was never at the top of my class in anything, and I remember the day in 8th grade English when my teacher announced only 1 person got an A on their final and it was ME. We had spent a whole unit on diagramming! That was a special day for me. I would love to teach diagramming, but my district thinks it is not a good idea. Someday, somewhere, I just might get the change.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 25, 2011

I use Project Read Written Expression for lower elementary students. It's not the same format but same idea.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 25, 2011

My son diagrams sentences this year in grammar class.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2011

13. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 26, 2011

Loved the site.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2011

I would not understand grammar the way I do if it were not for diagramming sentences.

Diagramming got a bad rap and fell into disfavor because of a long standing practice in schools to use it as a form of assessment rather than a teaching tool. Students making the diagram became the end rather than the means. In other words, a student who couldn't diagram a sentence correctly was deemed to not understand English grammar.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 26, 2011

This statement is 100% true for me also. It seemed to make grammar and language much more simple and easy to understand.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2011

I wasn't sure why diagramming stopped but that makes sense. It still seems like a valid practice to me - especially middle school.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

I remember doing it as a kid.

I don't remember now exactly how it worked, but I enjoyed it and I learned my grammar!!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

Love the diagramming site! My eighth grade teacher rocked LA...she was a very prim and proper sixty something year old woman but boy did we learn a lot! I remember diagramming with her...and poems we memorized...and the sound of her voice.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

"Between the dark and the daylight,
    When the night is beginning to lower
    Comes a pause in the day's occupations
    That is known as the Children's Hour..."

"tiger, tiger, burning bright
    In the forrests of the night..."

Do kids memorize poems anymore???

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2011

I prefer phrase structure trees, since they preserve word order while showing how the elements of a sentence are connected, but as long as people see the connections, it's all good.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

My son memorized a few in middle school...and he can rattle off the entire list of prepositions in no time flat...

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 27, 2011

We had to memorize a poem a week in 7th grade, and I remember all of them. I hated it at the time, but ever since college, I've been grateful for the amazing bank of "stuff" mean ol' Miz Roberts insisted we fill our heads with.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 27, 2011

My elementary & middle school yrs were in the 80s. I attended private schools from gr K-7 & the VERY last time I diagrammed sentences was in 7th gr. (From gr 8-12, I attended public schools.) As I recall, I disliked having to do them back then.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

Memorizing poems isn't something I've ever been required to do...never even knew that was a practice in classrooms.

25. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 27, 2011

I had to memorize lots of poetry and recite them aloud in class. I still remember most of them; "The Road Not Traveled," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", "The Charge of the Light Brigade", "I Hear America Singing" and a few others. In high, I had to memorize the Gettysburg Address, the Pre-Amble (made easy thanks to School House Rock :p), Hamlet's soliloquy, Marc Antony's funeral speech and part of Perciles funeral speech.

This too has to be an age thing because I went to four different school for jr high and high school and had to memorize stuff at each one.

26. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Feb 28, 2011

I had to memorize poems. I make my juniors memorize a stanza from the Raven.

I am both a fan and not a fan of diagramming. In high school, I never understood it. I drew random lines and hoped they were right. I finally took a good grammar course in college, and he taught diagramming by labeling the words and building up into subject and predicate. This made SO much more sense to me. This is what I use to teach sentence structure.