Diagnostician

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by smalltowngal, Nov 29, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2010

I received a brochure from a university that has an advanced certification program that requires only 5 courses to become a diagnostician. I have some questions:

1. Is it worth it? I know that most diagnosticians around my area can make great money at it.

2. Are they really in demand as I've heard they are? I know there have been a couple of postings in my district that have gone unfilled for awhile.

3. What exactly is the job of a diagnostician?

Thanks guys!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 30, 2010

4. smalltowngal

Nov 30, 2010

Thank you bros.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2010

I think that they do the testing process to diagnosis kids with a disability (not sure if you would get the medical side with so little coursework). Probably you will get the ability to diagnosis a student with LD or BD...possibly some medical (ADHD maybe)...

I don't know if it is worth it so much anymore with RtI. Now the pathway to a diagnosis is different. However, if it is also the job of a psychologist in the school, then I would go for it. Great money with jobs available in your area.

6. smalltowngal

Nov 30, 2010

mopar~that's what I'm afraid of...that with RtI being a big thing, that there will be less need for diagnosticians. I've researched around, and the money is pretty good around my area. I think I'm going to go for it!

7. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 30, 2010

School psychologists perform tests like the WAIS, WISC, etc.

8. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 1, 2010

In our district the diag performs the WAIS, WISC etc and must also be qualified to be a school psych. All our diags work with students from MR, Autism, LD, BD, Gifted, the whole bunch. I don't know anything about your program, of course, but if it qualifies you for a diag job, they make good money in our district and I think they have a very important job.

9. smalltowngal

Dec 2, 2010

Thanks so much guys for responding. I'm calling the school here in a bit to get some more information. I've already filled out the app, just need to get some things together and send it in.