Diagnostic Test for 6th gradfe l.a

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by newkteacher, Jul 31, 2007.

1. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Does anyone have any diagnostic tests for 6th garde language arts? I want something to gauge my students in September. Thanks

3. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I'm still putting mine together, but here's a bit of advice: don't do too much. Get their assessment data from last year, and see what information is missing from that. If you do too much, they'll suffer test fatigue right at the beginning of the year, and you won't have time to do enough disaggregation and analysis to make it worthwhile.

I'll be doing a fairly simple diagnostic: they will read a short story and write a summary. I'll check the summary mainly for understanding, but it will also give me an idea of the spelling and grammar skills, as well as their logical organization. I'm still working on the specifics - I just stole this idea from another teacher this morning :)

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

Check to see if your school or district has any specific requirements; we are required to do a specific diagnostic battery (DRA, Morrison-McCall spelling and a Writing Exemplar) within the first couple of weeks.

5. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks for the replies. Our districty has no requirements, I just want to try make my instruction more assessment driven this year.