Diagnosed with depression. Should I inform Admin?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by andyguitar331, Dec 3, 2014.

1. andyguitar331

andyguitar331 Rookie

Dec 3, 2014

Hello

I was just diagnosed with depression. I have been prescribed antidepressants and I have been referred to a therapist. I'm a music teacher at a 6th-12th school. I hate to use the depression as an excuse but I have not really been on top of things because of it. Should I inform administration on what is going on with m health? not in detail or anything like that. Should I let them know I'm depressed?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2014

No!!

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 3, 2014

No!

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 3, 2014

No.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 3, 2014

Keep your personal life personal, and your medical details that could be used against you even more private.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2014

NO!!!

8. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Dec 3, 2014

Nope. Get back on top of things as soon as you can, but don't tell them about anything personal. We all go through difficult seasons.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 3, 2014

The ONLY reason I would even consider talking to someone about this would be if the medication might have side effects that would take you out of the classroom for days at a time. It's the same way I look at my meds for my rosacea (it's a skin condition that occasionally flares up into major acne). My principal doesn't need to know I have rosacea because my meds keep it under control. If I have a flareup, it's a little embarrassing but I deal with it as best I can, and I call my doctor if I need an adjustment in my regimen.

Think of your depression as a manageable medical issue, not as a potential performance impediment.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2014

I think that this is a good point. Even so, I would recommend saying only that your medication may cause certain side effects. I would absolutely not name either the meds or the condition.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 3, 2014

I agree with everyone. I have diabetes and only inform people if there is a chance that I would have a crashing low blood sugar level in their presence. If your depression is out of control, take yourself out of the classroom. If you are not at risk of harming anyone at school, stay and do your job to the best of your ability. We all have conditions that could possibly hamper our performance; it's just part of life.

12. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Dec 3, 2014

I am also a music teacher so I understand how hard it is to provide direct instruction 100 percent of the time (unlike other teachers who get to sit while students work quietly occasionally) and to manage tons of kids with expensive instruments. I also suffer from depression. However, I can tell you it is not an excuse. You should definitely not tell them and or consider it as a reason why you are not on top of things. I do sometimes have a hard time, especially in winter since I don't have a window in my classroom and I get to and leave work in the dark. I usually end up taking most or all of my sick days and just tell my principal I am out with an illness (which is true). They don't need to know the illness.

13. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2014

No, I'm on antidepressants--have been for 21 years. I don't tell unless it's one of those personnel medical forms that says "list medications".

14. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Dec 6, 2014

I agree with the others, no it's not a good idea. I think this especially true because depression can be a stigmatized condition unfortunately

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 7, 2014

:yeahthat:

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2014

If you need accommodations due to the disability then yes, tell your supervisor. If you do not need accommodations do not tell your supervisor.

17. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 7, 2014

How long have you been there?

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2014

No!

19. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 8, 2014

I have depression, and my admin doesn't know.

If you get on anti-depressants, just try and remember to take your meds everyday. I'm on Effexor and today was the second day in a row I forgot to take it---it was pure torture during the school day today. Failing to take your regular brain-altering medications results in some funky brain symptoms which include brain zaps, lightheadedness, fatigue, and complete zoning out (you are literally unaware of your surroundings for a brief moment).