Diabetes in a Teacher aka Why I Love My Class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Starista, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 20, 2010

Good Morning!

What a JOY it is to sleep past 5:30 AM...! :hugs:

This Tuesday, my Perinatal OB met with me to discuss the fact that I have gestational diabetes. He is quite confident that this will go away after I give birth to our son. In the meantime, I need to drastically change the way I eat and take blood level samples 4x a day.

On Wed. morning during our morning prayers I asked the children to please pray that Mrs. W. does a fantastic job with her new eating plan. I showed the children the food pyramid on the ADA website and explained to them briefly which foods I need to avoid (starches, gluten, most fruits and sugar) and which foods are the best choices (veggies, meat, dairy). They were really interested.

It is someone's job to set the classroom timer to ensure I begin my lunch exactly 3 hours after my morning snack, etc.

I did not discuss with them HOW I need to sample my blood 4x a day in detail, but I did inform them that I need to record my sugar levels 4x daily.

They were really interested. 3rd graders ROCK. Yesterday's journal was "free choice" and several of them wrote me a "friendly letter" about what I should buy at the market this weekend. One kid wrote me a whole grocery list -- haha. One boy asked if I was allowed Gatorade, because his Mom calls it "Juice" and he was unsure if I could drink juice.

I never imagined that something like this would become a "teachable" moment in my class, but I am blessed beyond belief to have such amazing students. :hugs:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2010

That's awesome, Star!! At he beginning of the year, I heard Harry Wong speak. You know, he's all about routines and procedures. Well, he gave us an example of a teacher who had diabetes. I think this was in a K or 1st grade class. She told the class all about it and what they should do in case she went into shock, never thinking that it would ever happen. They would occassionally role play what to do should something happen. Well, it happened, and the kids did exactly what they were supposed to and everything worked out!

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 20, 2010

Very cool about your students Starista. And best of luck with your modified diet. As a child of a diabetic parent I can tell you a bagel is a diabetic's disaster! Those things are packed FULL of carbs.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 20, 2010

One year I was really sick, and I had to take medication at odd times during the day. The kids were really good at reminding me to take it. They also reminded me to drink more and to eat my snacks. Sometimes I'd tell them that I didn't feel like eating it, and they'd scold me and tell me to take small bites and I'd be fine. The best thing was when I ended up in the hospital around Christmas. When the councelor told my class tht I was really sick and in the hospital, my worst-behaved kid started crying. He asked to call his mom, and she called the hospital and talked to me. He was worried about me and told her she had to call and talk to me. (He was an 8th grader, and I'd had him in class for two years.)

Glad you have such great kids!

6. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 20, 2010

I have severe diabetes and am on an insulin pump. My kids are great about it also. I let them see how I test my blood sugar if they want. (It's not like this hasn't been done to them at the doctor's office.)

The comical part is that I have high frequency hearing loss and can't hear my pump alarm unless is completely quiet in the room. I'll be in the middle of teaching a class or in the hall and one of my kids will say, "You're beeping Mr. B." It's just part of the landscape in my room.

If I could get the graph of the data from my blood sugar sensor on my screen, I'd use it to teach them to interpret data.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 20, 2010

Kids are amazing aren't they? I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and work hard to eat regular meals. Stress makes my sugar drop like a rock. I tell the kids up front that sometimes they'll see me eating cheese and crackers or a peanut butter sandwich because of it. I've had to do it a few times this year (most stressful year I've ever had). Even my bad kids worry when they see me doing that. I found that out after doing it twice in a week. One of my usual troublemakers came up asking to go to the bathroom. I let him go, and within 2 minutes my princpal was in the room checking on me. Instead of going to the bathroom he went to the office to get the school nurse to come check on me. Kids pick up more than we realize and have such a great capactity for caring and love. This is the same kid who drives me crazy on a daily basis, but when another student had an accident (just started ADHD medicine and wasn't prepared for how it would affect him with the bathroom), D came up and whispered to me about it and stayed in the room to help A clean up and wait for his parents.