DFW Multi-District Job Fair May 3

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by suzerich, Apr 28, 2010.

1. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Apr 28, 2010

I am attending the big job fair in Arlington on May 3rd. I was wondering if anyone had attended this job fair before. What should I expect? I also would like to know how many resume packets I should bring. If you've gone before, do any charter or private schools attend? Do they have positions that are not teaching positions available, etc. I know I probably cannot get there until it opens or later. I've had good luck at the district job fairs going in about an hour after they begin. I'm primarily looking for a position in and around Ellis County, and am hoping to see some of the smaller districts that don't have job fairs there. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

3. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 28, 2010

Here is a list of those expected to attend.

http://www.garlandisd.net/nctaspa/LIST OF DISTRICTS ATTENDING FOR APPLICANTS.pdf

See who you are interested in and plan for that many resume packets plus a few extra, you never know you might be interested in somebody not on the list.

it looks like pre registration is an option I would definitely do, then you can get right in there and not waste as much time up front.

general info
    http://www.garlandisd.net/nctaspa/index.cfm

Visit your top choices first and see if the have interview slots available. (this is one benefit of getting there early) Good luck

4. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Apr 28, 2010

Thanks. I've registered for the job fair. I'll look at the list. The last time I did so it said it was from 2008, so I'll see. Thanks.

5. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

I am so tempted to go to this, but I'm not sure if I have much business going since I still have another year left.

6. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 29, 2010

good luck to you! i will be there too!! my advice (as if i am soooo experienced!!) get there as early as your schedule can stand. i have been to three this season and even being an hour ahead of time at a single district fair was not early enough. i think there will be (as expected) a long line and you don't want to be at the end of it. sounds crazy but i will probably be there about 1.5-2 hrs early. i have an ipod! lol! i've never gone before (it got cancelled last year due to H1N1) but i have talked to a friend who went. she only remembered it being really busy! with only that to go on, i will just bring lots of resumes/brochures and a smile! good luck!!!

7. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Apr 29, 2010

I think I would go to this if I weren't going out of town for work Monday. Dang it! :banghead:

8. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Apr 29, 2010

The earliest I can leave my son at school is 7:00, and we're about 45 minutes-1 hour from Arlington, so I'll be doing good to get there by 8:30. I hope I can get him up and to school by then, he usually doesn't have to be there until 8:00. I'll try to have enough resumes/packets for the school districts I want to see and a few extras.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2010

I went a few years back. I don't remember charter/private schools being there, but that could change. I would definitely have certain schools that you want to talk to and bring resume packets for those. Hit up those schools first! And then bring extra packets just in case you see a school that wasn't on your radar before.

10. CJandSA

CJandSA Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

My question about this fair - how in the world are they going to do interviews or really get you connected with schools with openings? It looks like there are going to be over 70 districts in one building - I have been to a few fairs for larger districts where every school has a table, but even then it was a zoo for logistics and having enough reps to speak with applicants.

Do you think specific schools with openings will be sending representatives to their district booth, or do you think it will be more about getting basic district information out (benefits, lists of possible openings, highlights, contact information, etc.) and (possibly) doing general district screening interviews?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should take off work (temp job) to go even though I have already been to fairs and events for most of the districts that I can apply to.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2010

CJandSA~when I went to the job fair, there were only 2-3 districts that actually were holding interviews at the job fair.

12. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 4, 2010

Wow!! What a fair!! I went to this -- got there at 630am -- crazy crazy! Over 4200 people registered -- there had to be over 5k there (you did not have to register to attend). It started at 830am. I got to do mini 5-10 minute interviews with 15 districts I wanted to speak with and actually just got 4 responses today to my follow up emails I sent immediately after yesterday evening (I spent 3 hrs on those!) !nyway, networking done, leads taken and now I'm waiting! I got an email this morning that my interest email with resume was sent to one of my target schools so that's amazing! If I would not have gone, I would not have been forwarded. Anyway, fingers crossed!

13. erudite

erudite Rookie

May 4, 2010

Good luck to you keep us updated!

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 4, 2010

I got my job last year because of this fair so I am a HUGE fan! :)

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 4, 2010

Go girl! Hope you hear something soon. With TAKS over, districts are seriously beginning to transfer teachers and see where the real "holes" in their teaching staff might be.:rolleyes:

16. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 4, 2010

Woohoo! That's what I need to hear! I went a little email crazy yesterday with follow up emails but got SEVEN emails either met or was advised to email from the fair. I haven't gotten seven emails all year! So I do believe in networking and if this doesn't lead to a job this fall, I think it will keep me in conversation for an open position later:) It's a start!!