DFW area ACP Candidates

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kemmyj, Apr 20, 2008.

1. kemmyj

kemmyj New Member

Apr 20, 2008

Hi. I just joined this board. I am an ACP candidate and am looking for a position to begin in August. I did scroll through the forums finding others such as myself. Please reply if you are looking in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and are leaving corporate America to teach. Thanks.

3. swbts_ali

swbts_ali Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

I'm not leaving corporate America, but I am also an ACP candidate looking for a job. It's been rough, as I wanted to hear back much faster than it is actually happening. I have heard from several people though that most districts haven't begun looking at outside candidates yet, so don't give up! Good luck!!

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 21, 2008

Hi Kemmy!

Welcome to A to Z! In what part of DFW do you live?

I left corporate America, completed ACP program, and just got hired for the 2008-2009 school year.

Which ACP are you doing? I did Region 10.

Lemon

5. Grace

Grace Companion

Apr 21, 2008

You can check out tasanet.org (or .net- I can't remember!). They have a pretty extensive list of openings all over the DFW area. It might be a little more difficult to procure a position going the ACP route, but if you're patient I'm sure you'll get a great job! I know a lot of districts are just now sending out their contracts and won't know their openings for another couple of weeks, so definitely don't get discouraged!! Good luck and happy interviewing! :)

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

I'm in the DFW area & an ACP candidate. I'm leaving one non-prof for another I guess. I just started my research & it's too soon to tell how it will play out for this upcoming year.

7. kemmyj

kemmyj New Member

Apr 21, 2008

I am located in the arlington area. I went through texas teachers. from what i hear, there are many districts that don't hire ACP teachers their first year. The districts that I heard about include Dallas, Mansfield, Arlington, and Lewisville. Has anyone heard or know different or about any others?

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

Dallas does hire ACP but ONLY if you have gone through their program. It's a contractual relationship so even regular certified teachers can get shut out.

If your an ACP in a high need area, the chances are suppose to be good that you will get hire right away.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2008

I wouldn't count out other districts around the Arlington area. Have you tried Everman, Castleberry, White Settlement?

10. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 21, 2008

11. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I would add Allen and Coppell to that list. Well, they at least say they don't look at ACP candidates unless it is last resort.

12. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Dallas runs their own ACP, so they really aren't opposed to hiring first year - at least not their own.

13. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I'm an ACP still looking. But I'm south of Dallas in Ellis County. I've applied for a few jobs and at several districts. I just passed the 4-8 generalist test, and am not sure how to let the districts know I've passed it. I'm taking History 8-12 tomorrow. I've applied or plan to apply to all of the local districts south of 287 as well as some around 35 and 45 south. Mansfield is one of the ones I've applied to, but its probably the farthest I want to go. I need to be as close to my son's school as I can get (no more than 30 minutes away).

I figure if I don't find something I will sub in the district I want to work in, and concentrate on finishing all my ACP responsibilities and observations this fall.

Suze

14. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I recently left corporate America and have been in my ACP since March. :) Still looking for a job!

I am located in Frisco. I have applied to about 25-27 districts with very little response. I am Special Education EC-12. I plan to take the Generalist 4-8 and the ESL TExES tests soon to make myself more marketable.

15. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I'm so happy to find this thread! I am in the process of moving to the DFW area. My husband is already in Frisco, and I'll be moving down from Minnesota in the next few weeks. In MN, I was pursuing my MAED, and was almost done-- the majority of classes short of student teaching. I decided to leave corporate America for teaching a little over a year ago. In TX, so few of my master's classes transferred that I thought I'd try ACP first. I'm with Texas Teachers looking for jobs in English Language Arts and Reading 4-8 or 8-12. I took the TExES 8-12 last weekend and will be taking the 4-8 when it becomes available via CBT in September.

I've been putting feelers out at private and charter schools who may have more flexibility in hiring. I've also applied to positions at Sylvan and Huntington and am planning to sub in the meantime. I hope that there are opportunities out there! I see English positions posted even now a couple of weeks before school starts...that makes me hopeful that there at least isn't a massive surplus of candidates. We'll see...

Good luck everyone!