Developmental Learning Process Hasn't Changed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jul 17, 2012.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

This Harvard Education Letter article describes how children today follow the same developmental path as they did when most of the research on developmental learning was done.

Using the same assessment items, children in 2010 met the same developmental milestones at the same ages as when first published in 1925.

I wish education policy could be based on this information. Pushing the curriculum down further and further (Kindergarten is the new Second Grade) is not helping at all.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

I agree! Pushing more, sooner isn't going to solve the problems we are seeing in education.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

I have always believed in Piaget's developmental stages, and I see it every year that I teach-we are pushing our students to learn things that they are not developmentally ready to learn!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 17, 2012

I agree absolutely. It is getting crazier and crazier.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

Thank you for sharing this article. I look forward to hearing more when they publish the study in October. As a preschool teacher, this is increasingly a concern of mine. Let kids be kids!

7. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

Thank you for sharing this article. It is clear the the curriculum writers have completely forgotten about the cognitive and social development of children. My experiences as a student and my students experience are completely different. I try to replicate my experiences.but the expectations create a barrier.
    I am often left feeling guilty.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

I really think that's most of the problem right there. Making kids try to learn concepts and develop skills that they just might not be ready for.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 17, 2012

And here's another thing. When kids are taught something they are not ready to learn, they kind of skim the surface of the learning. Then, later on, when they encounter the topic again, the kid thinks, "I learned that already, I should know it, there's something wrong with me", and shuts down.

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

:yeahthat:

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

Yes to everyone's comments. Arnold Gesell called the skills kids were trained to demonstrate "splinter skills," because they couldn't generalize the skill to other situations.

There is a difference between teaching and training.

Related, did you hear Your Baby Can Read went out of business yesterday? I'm glad.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters and have seen the results personally when I taught ESE children. When we began to teach them developmentally appropriate tasks and skills the children were able to catch up with their peers.